MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Default using foil w/ butts & briskets

When smoking some butts & briskets low and slow (225-250) overnight: at what time should I wrap the meat in foil?

AND... when smoking butts and briskets in the same pit, what wood would you recomend?

Thanks in advance!
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Well IMHO you dont have to foil at all. For me the 2 main reasons to foil are 1) to get a desired color on the bark (foil stops the bark from getting too dark) and 2) to help to get meat through the "stall" if it's giving trouble. Generally I dont foil. And there are downsides to it as well. You lose some of those signature bark characteristics that you get when you dont foil as well as if you foil for too long the meat can run the risk of being too mushy.

However to answer your questions, I generally foil butts at 160 and brisket about the same. As far as wood flavor, beef can take a stonger flavor smoke than pork generally but you dont want to overpower the pork, so a medium bodied smoke like oak or pecan will work great for you. Again it all depends on your tastes and what you like. Experiment my friend, have fun with it.

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
Big Sexy
On the road to being a farker

Great info!
I greatly appreciate it!
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
FireChief
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't do much pork, but for brisket, I generally foil at about 180. I find that at 180 I've got a pretty good bark and foiling helps it finishe quicker and adds to the tenderness. But that's just me, others do it completely different with great results.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasty View Post
Well IMHO you dont have to foil at all. For me the 2 main reasons to foil are 1) to get a desired color on the bark (foil stops the bark from getting too dark) and 2) to help to get meat through the "stall" if it's giving trouble. Generally I dont foil. And there are downsides to it as well. You lose some of those signature bark characteristics that you get when you dont foil as well as if you foil for too long the meat can run the risk of being too mushy.

However to answer your questions, I generally foil butts at 160 and brisket about the same. As far as wood flavor, beef can take a stonger flavor smoke than pork generally but you dont want to overpower the pork, so a medium bodied smoke like oak or pecan will work great for you. Again it all depends on your tastes and what you like. Experiment my friend, have fun with it.

Cheers
+1... I also use oak or pecan when doing both brisket and butts.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote