Question from a newbie

J

JRB

I have a master built electric smoker, and when I smoke a butt, I do not get very dark bark on the butt. Is this because it is an electric smoker? Is it because I use a water pan? I typically smoke the butts around 230 degrees, I get good flavor but I don't typically get a smoke ring, or it is faint. The rub I use does not have brown sugar in it. I did one last Saturday rubbed with a brown sugar rub, and still not very much bark.

Any thoughts?

Clueless in Vancouver....

First, let me say I don't have any experience with a Masterbuilt.

The bark is a result of caramelizing the rub, so it is a bit of trial and error to determine which cooking temperature will yield the best results for any given meat/rub combination. The darkness generally comes from the fuel source - cleaner burning cookers don't color up as dark as other cookers.

Experiment a little bit by cooking smaller sections of butt with different meat/rub combinations. You may stumble upon something that really works well for you.

Best of luck and welcome to The Brethren!!

There will be a difference in your bark compared to charcoal, wood and pellets. I am not sure why but electric smokers do not produce good bark or a smoke ring that is pronounced. If you are getting the flavor you want then you are doing well.

If you want a dark bark put some Wegmans AJ on it. But seriously, you could try adding some white sugar to your rub. The water pan could be part of the issue too. Have you tried removing the water pan for the last hour or so of cooking? You need to get some heat on the outside of the butt to caramelize the rub and proteins in the surface of the meat. Dry heat works best for that.

Dear Clueless: Do you have a small smoker box in the bottom of your smoker? You didn't say anything about what smoke u use.

Thanks for the replies all! I will experiment some more. I was about to purchase a GMG, and lost my job a couple weeks ago. Fortunately I procrastinated on that purchase... I am now thinking about a UDS....

Sarge, I have the small chip tray towards the bottom of the smoker just above the element. I have tried chips and pellets, apple and oak. Same results with both. I use the jack daniels oak wood chips. Link below, hope it is appropriate?

http://http://www.cabelas.com/product/Masterbuilt-Electric-Smokers/732471.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DMasterbiilt%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Masterbiilt&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend that has an electric smoker and he puts chunks in there, though I don't know if that would make any difference...

I get good smoke with what I am using, and i keep the top vent 3/4 to wide open so the chips get good and hot.

I get good smoke with what I am using, and i keep the top vent 3/4 to wide open so the chips get good and hot.

JRB,
I had a masterbuilt for a couple of years (wore it out). I found that when I closed the top vent almost all the way shut (leave it open about 1/8th inch), I got better smoke flavor and a pretty good ring (used chips mostly but also pellets sparingly). The smoke ring develops from a chemical reaction between the meat, smoke, and low/slow temp/cooking. You've got the temp right. I suspect that your smoke is evacuating too quickly with the vent that far open. Try closing it down more but be careful with over-smoking too. I had to experience a few over-smoked attempts to get the right settings with that smoker. Once I figured it out, we had some really good Q. Hope this works for you.
Randy

Recent Masterbuilt-UDS convert

I'm a recent Masterbuilt-UDS convert. The Masterbuilt makes decent bbq, and is super simple to use. That being said.....since I finished my UDS my Masterbuilt is really lonely.

The UDS is easy to build (if I can do it, anyone can). It creates FAR superior BBQ, and can make significantly more of it. You get nice smoke rings, the bark is way better, and once you dial it in it's even easier to use than the Masterbuilt. Feel free to email me and I'll fill you in more if you want.....

Thanks for all the replies. I will try closing the vent and testing it. I will most likely build a uds in the next couple of weeks.

Back