Is there an Aaron Franklin of pulled pork?

No, not even close.

Chopped > Pulled
I’ll don’t care for pulled at all. Stringy mess if not careful

Pretty sure it's what you grew up with and are used to as I definitely prefer properly pulled pork over chopped. I like chunks of bark and different textures. There are people I highly respect that prefer chopped so to each their own. One thing we can agree on is that there is definitely a difference :clap2:

I would think you pull butts and chop whole hog bodies? Can't imagine pulling a whole hog by hand.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

explain it to me- the difference

If you think pulled pork is bland need to try some with good sauce. Most people in the carolinas don't actually make what they consider "pulled pork." Here we make barbecue and it is amazing. Pulled pork by itself with no sauce would lead me to understand your thoughts, but barbecue oh that's another story.

help me out?.

"Pulled pork is bland" - totally get that- if it had no salt and/or pepper it would be "blander". I like PP- seasoned (or seasoned and sauced) and it's good-either way to me.

"...don't actually make what they consider pulled pork" but instead make "barbecue" and "it's amazing"

"...barbecue oh that's another story." Tell me that story.

So is the barbecue just pulled pork (or chopped) with some sauce? or is it something more?

/appreciated.

Maybe I'm the oddball of this group but a good smoked butt and picnic roast (pulled or chopped I dont really care) with a nice seasoning of salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes along with a good finishing sauce is at the top of my food chain. Yes, I like it more than brisket.

I would think you pull butts and chop whole hog bodies? Can't imagine pulling a whole hog by hand.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I've been to pig pick'ns that you serve yourself pulling the meat off the whole hog.

help me out?.

"Pulled pork is bland" - totally get that- if it had no salt and/or pepper it would be "blander". I like PP- seasoned (or seasoned and sauced) and it's good-either way to me.

"...don't actually make what they consider pulled pork" but instead make "barbecue" and "it's amazing"

So is the barbecue just pulled pork (or chopped) with some sauce? or is it something more?

/appreciated.

“Barbecue” in the Carolinas is pork. Whole hog out in eastern NC, shoulder most other places.

Chopped (minced or coarse)
Typically served with a CWB (cheap white bun), a thin vinegar “dipt”, red slaw and hush puppies

That is a plate of bbq where I’m from (piedmont area of NC)

“Barbecue” in the Carolinas is pork. Whole hog out in eastern NC, shoulder most other places.

Typically served with a CWB (cheap white bun), a thin vinegar “dipt”, red slaw and hush puppies

The real deal, and I'm ALL in for a big plate. :-D

Pretty sure it's what you grew up with and are used to as I definitely prefer properly pulled pork over chopped. I like chunks of bark and different textures. There are people I highly respect that prefer chopped so to each their own. One thing we can agree on is that there is definitely a difference :clap2:

I think somewhere in between is best. I pull into large strips and then rough-chop those. Pork that is pulled into long strings is unmanageable. Pork that is finely chopped is usually dried out and tasteless, and it falls off your sandwich too easily (and I grew up in the land of finely chopped pork).

Fellow piedmont NCer here, but I have to disagree with you on the red slaw. I think white slaw complements the pork much better.

I did a competition a few months ago here in California. I made a Carolina style sauce for my pork turn in, it was dee-lish. I came in at the bottom, not last place but almost last place. The judges notes all said "ew sour, too tangy, tasted like vinegar". I was like YEA THATS THE FAKIN POINT! I love some Carolina Q. Now that I'm jobless maybe a spring trip should be in the works.

If you think pulled pork is bland need to try some with good sauce. Most people in the carolinas don't actually make what they consider "pulled pork." Here we make barbecue and it is amazing. Pulled pork by itself with no sauce would lead me to understand your thoughts, but barbecue oh that's another story.

I never cared for bbq pork until i had it with vinegar dressing as i call it. properly dressed "pulled pork" is amazing. I also think great bbq (pulled pork) is not one of the easiest things to make as everyone says, too often it's a pile of flavorless mush.

I like to use only salt for the cook. after pulled/chopped it gets a bbq rub and shack sauce mixed in. some people don't like vinegar sauce on pork.....those people are wrong

gQhRVZ6h.jpg

As a transplant from the Midwest to the east coast, I was introduced to “bbq” in Carolina. It must be eaten with vinegar based sauce imo as it brings out the sweetness in the pork and doesn’t mask the flavor like sbr, etc. the wife and kids prefer eastern Carolina bbq over brisket, ribs, or any other bbq actually. And she lived in Texas for awhile:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

help me out?.

/appreciated.

Sorry I didn't see this response until now...Around here most barbecue joints don't call what they cook pulled pork they made what is known around here as barbecue. It is sauced after the deboning and the sauce is cooked into the meat. The addition of the sauce to the meat and it being cooked into the meat adds a totally different element. Especially the Eastern Carolina whole hog barbecue. When I said barbecue is another story, it was merely a saying speaking about how superior the taste is to simple pulled pork.

Haven’t had opportunity to try but it’s on my list of places to visit and it’s gotten lots of good reviews is Southern Soul BBQ at St Simons Island in south east Georgia.

Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibsons in Northern Alabama

Second this. Chris Lilly (of Big Bob Gibson restaurant) all the way. Couple of years ago I had the chance to sample 5 or 6 pulled/chopped pork from vendors at big BBQ event. Lilly’s pork blew them all away. We had big group of people and all agreed.

His book below is in my pantheon of great BBQ books. I have made his 6-time Championship Pork Shoulder many times with tasty results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00486UEWQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Back