Spare ribs and yard bird

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I needed to cook some ribs for the Spareribs Throwdown and thought I'd give a full slab a go, since I pretty much always do STL style trim on spares.

Trimmed the inedible bits off the slab, seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Dominator + Competition Beef and Pork, then onto the Mak 2*.

I spatchcocked the chickens Saturday night and dry brined one with kosher slat black pepper and the other with Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chiley Lime. I cooked those on the Primo XL indirect @ ~400*.

Decided to whip up some baked beans and pulled what I thought was some shredded brisket out of the freezer....turns out it was either oxtail or shank...that'll work too. Onto the Primo as well.

Lastly, some Krustez honey cornbread in my Griswold cast iron pan in the oven...always gets a nice crust that way.

It turned out pretty tasty :thumb: while the whole spares were a nice change of pace, I think I still prefer STL trim and using the tip meat for sausage grind....which it works really well for (cartilage removed, obviously).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...the weather was great here, low 70s...was nice to not work for once and do some cooking and feel a little “normal” again :thumb:

Back