MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #31
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
Its dumb to leave any cooker unattended, even a home oven.
/thread
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 05:19 PM   #32
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
Man, by that standard... after 25 plus years of leaving pellet grills, kamados, WSM’s, kettles, sous vides, ovens and crockpots unmanned... I must be the dumbest person on earth! Is there a “Dumbest Brethren” contest? Ready to claim my prize [emoji12]

If you seriously left your home with no-one around to tend - then yes you are a very dumb person.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #33
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4825 View Post
Out of all the negative reviews I have read the only one that concerns me is the hopper design not working as planned.
I think THE HOPPER PROBLEM is an easy fix that they will definitely do. All they need is a slicker coating for less friction, steeper angle, or as a last resort they could add a small chute vibrator that turns on every so many minutes.

The electronics will definitely be fixed in time.

The grease mixing with the ash and causing grease fires while smoking is my biggest concern and I bet that will be fixed as well.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-16-2020 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: Specified that I was talking about the hopper
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #34
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
I think that is an easy fix that they will definitely do. All they need is a slicker coating for less friction, steeper angle, or as a last resort they could add a small chute vibrator that turns on every so many minutes.

The electronics will definitely be fixed in time.

The grease mixing with the ash and causing grease fires while smoking is my biggest concern and I bet that will be fixed as well.

The very first sentence just boggles my mind.. WHY would anyone need to spend $1500+ on a product for them to be concerned about "OH.. that will be an easy fix that they will definitely do" Just a few days into launch of the product and people's already talking about how weber will soon fix this, and change this and that.. pretty sad. I hope all of you that purchased one and is having problems request a full refund.. and not ask for fixes which all this should of been figured out from the get go

Lets be honest.. If people would stop being early adopters and pre ordering ****.. Then companies would care more about their product and not produce broken **** and sell it to "first adopters"

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #35
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
The very first sentence just boggles my mind.. WHY would anyone need to spend $1500+ on a product for them to be concerned about "OH.. that will be an easy fix that they will definitely do" Just a few days into launch of the product and people's already talking about how weber will soon fix this, and change this and that.. pretty sad. I hope all of you that purchased one and is having problems request a full refund.. and not ask for fixes which all this should of been figured out from the get go

Lets be honest.. If people would stop being early adopters and pre ordering ****.. Then companies would care more about their product and not produce broken **** and sell it to "first adopters"
That first sentence was a response to SS4825’s post I quoted where he said the pellets not sliding down the chute in the hopper was his biggest concern. Things sliding down chutes is an old problem that is easily rectified with the three commonly used methods that I posted. The pellets not sliding down the chute is the least of Weber’s problems.

I see the biggest problem as getting the thing to stop having grease fires while smoking.

The software issues will also be corrected in time.

I also agree whole heartedly that Weber should not have released this product until these issues were resolved. I know I pointed that out several times in this forum.

That said, I do think that Weber will fix all of these problems in time and it will be much better in a year or so when I decide if I still want one.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 02-16-2020 at 06:26 PM..
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #36
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
If you seriously left your home with no-one around to tend - then yes you are a very dumb person.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. With a bit of common sense, in my opinion there is nothing all that risky with leaving the home with the oven on, a quality pellet grill slowly cooking away, a quality charcoal smoker slowly working its magic, a crockpot doing his thing or a sous vide machine keeping water warm. Is it possible something could go wrong? Sure. Highly unlikely? After 25 plus years of not one issue... I believe so. If it is something you are uncomfortable with, than by all means stay at home and watch your devices cook. Either way, you’re not gonna hear me calling you a dumb person. With a super busy family, I call coming home to a nicely cooked dinner a blessing. Hope you have a wonderful evening and fantastic week sir :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #37
ss4825
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : ss4825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
That first sentence was a response to SS4825’s post I quoted where he said the pellets not sliding down the chute in the hopper was his biggest concern. Things sliding down chutes is an old problem that is easily rectified with the three commonly used methods that I posted. The pellets not sliding down the chute is the least of Weber’s problems.

I see the biggest problem as getting the thing to stop having grease fires while smoking.

The software issues will also be corrected in time.

I also agree whole heartedly that Weber should not have released this product until these issues were resolved. I know I pointed that out several times in this forum.

That said, I do think that Weber will fix all of these problems in time and it will be much better in a year or so when I decide if I still want one.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Weber grills and I agree a year from now this will be a great product. I'm in the market for a pellet smoker now and was hoping the Weber SmokeFire would fit the bill for me because I don't want to wait a year.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #38
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Default Weber SmokeFire First Cook

I leave my cookers alone at the house all the time. I have cameras at the house and I can monitor the cooks from anywhere...I also have security system with fire and carbon monoxide detection, etc and really don’t see an issue here?

Also, all the bs about being an early adopter of said grill and shame on you and you should expect issues from a first run product and it’s way too much money...etc etc. it’s ridiculous really. It’s a cooker...a grill/smoker that cost $1,200-$1,500 from a reputable company....get over it. Those who paid the money and bought one are free to do so as they choose and should expect a level of performance commensurate with the cost. I’m sure weber will get things fixed and those that own it will be happy. But let’s be real here...it’s a $1,500 pellet grill....it’s not a Memphis Elite that cost more than 3 times as much and it’s not a Mak that is double the cost...I wouldnt expect Amg performance and refinement from a c class car. JMO and no, I don’t have one:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #39
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
If it is something you are uncomfortable with, than by all means stay at home and watch your devices cook. Either way, you’re not gonna hear me calling you a dumb person. With a super busy family, I call coming home to a nicely cooked dinner a blessing.
I have been know to do some day drinking at the local watering hole, only to come back to some delicious smoked ribs that have been cooking away unattended.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #40
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4825 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Weber grills and I agree a year from now this will be a great product. I'm in the market for a pellet smoker now and was hoping the Weber SmokeFire would fit the bill for me because I don't want to wait a year.
All I can tell you is not to get a $500 pit boss! I went that route just to dip my toe in the water and regret it. If this Weber isn’t straitened out in a year I’m probably be looking at a Rec Tec or something similar. I was seriously thinking about getting a Rec Tec just before Weber announced the smokefire.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #41
Kaptain Kadian
is One Chatty Farker

Has anyone considered putting a disposable aluminum pan under the meat to catch the grease? I cook with some type of pan to catch grease in almost every one of my cookers. It is just way easier to keep them clean that way. Is there room between the grate and the flavor bars? Not having a heat deflector was one of my biggest concerns with the cooker.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #42
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
are you serious, away from the house without a chance for a forest fire. I do it all the time.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 AM   #43
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
Also, all the bs about being an early adopter of said grill and shame on you and you should expect issues from a first run product and it’s way too much money...etc etc. it’s ridiculous really. It’s a cooker...a grill/smoker that cost $1,200-$1,500 from a reputable company....get over it. Those who paid the money and bought one are free to do so as they choose and should expect a level of performance commensurate with the cost. I’m sure weber will get things fixed and those that own it will be happy. But let’s be real here...it’s a $1,500 pellet grill....it’s not a Memphis Elite that cost more than 3 times as much and it’s not a Mak that is double the cost...I wouldnt expect Amg performance and refinement from a c class car. JMO and no, I don’t have one:)

I think you should read your post again.. You just said exactly why it was a bad idea to be an early adopter.. product from a "REPUTABLE company".. people expect quality from Weber.. sure this is their first time venturing into pellet smokers.. but no matter the price.. the consumer should never be a "beta" tester after paying for the product.. And for someone like me.. spending $1,500 for anything is insane when your PREPAYING for the product only to receive it and there's serious issues. After all this time.. Why exactly has these problems never come up before until they ship? I duunnnno!

Ofcourse I agree 100%.. those who bought it, its their money and they can spend it all the want.. But this is happening for so many different things now a days I hate to see the stories of early adopters getting broken products.. only for them to fix it a year later...

Old 02-17-2020, 12:51 AM   #44
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum View Post
I wouldnt expect Amg performance and refinement from a c class car. JMO and no, I don’t have one:)

https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/mo...ss/sedan/c63ws

Old 02-17-2020, 01:59 AM   #45
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Looking at the setup I'm actually stunned that there is no "drip plate" to stop the grease from heading right towards the firepot. I'm also curious as to how much Weber tested this cooker outdoors, in wind, and in cold outdoor temperatures. All of the promotional stuff I've found, including the Weber Academy stuff, is indoors, or at least inside a large warehouse.

It's a shame that people are having so many problems with this thing so far. The hopper issue seems like a massive design flaw, and it seems like they must have just ignored it because this issue had to have been noticed during testing. I'm thinking that maybe they just assumed that everybody would be sitting outside their smoker at all times to continuously check the hopper.