Research Project: Favorite BBQ Joints in North America

Diva Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am working on a research project and I am really looking to find more BBQ joints to travel to. I am looking within anywhere in North America for favorite BBQ joints that still use just charcoal and or wood to make their restaurant food. It could be a roadside stand or a full fledged operation.

I have got 2 for you, Whole Hog in Little Rock and the Mean Pig in Cabot Arkansas.

Hey Diva! Come to Chi-Town ( a scant lake or two south of you)
Although we are not known as the BBQ capitol or anything we have a couple stand out places that are using old aquarium style smokers..wood and charcoal fires
Big Eds in North Chicago being my fav
Smoking M's in Forest Park, Il ( about 20-30 miles west of city)
also Honey 1 and Uncle Johns in the city
Let me know if you decide to hit our area

Last edited:
Leetha's in Hattiesburg MS. is pretty legendary down there....not much competition either.

check out ncbbqsociety.com there is actually a bbq trail in NC about 25 places like what you are looking for. then agian when you come through TN let me know I will fire up the hickory pit and we will have a party :)

Poppa's BBQ
12211 49th Street North
Clearwater, Florida 33762

Brethren owned and operated, stick and charlcoal burners!

Martin's here near Nashville has been invited to the Big Apple bbq block party for the last two years and is supposed to be real good. I believe he's near or in Nolensville (TN).

I hope there are some places mentioned that are a bit farther north of the Mason Dixon line. It would be great to see some mentioned in MN, but I have nothing to contribute myself.

I don't think it's even feasible to open a wood/charcoal restaurant in a metro area anymore. No reputation or sales base, ridiculous land/lease prices, can't compete with sub-par chain bbqs and their prices, people don't feel a need to pay for authenticity anymore, and it's tough to start anything right now. Pretty sad, really.

The Brick Pit in Mobile, AL has some of the best ribs I have eaten. (besides mine :p)

The original Sonny Brian's in Dallas Texas. Open 52 years at that location.
2202 Inwood Road, Dallas, TX‎ - (214) 357-7120‎

In the Bay Area it is Phat Matt's BBQ in Oakland or Memphis Minnie's in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Leetha's in Hattiesburg MS. is pretty legendary down there....not much competition either.
I was going to suggest Leetha's but you beat me to it since I just started reading this thread. She started out in Columbia, 30 miles west. Another of my favorites is Strick's BAR-B-Q & Catering. There are at least 3 others but I personally would not recommend them so I will not mention their names.

Hey Diva! Come to Chi-Town ( a scant lake or two south of you)
Although we are not known as the BBQ capitol or anything we have a couple stand out places that are using old aquarium style smokers..wood and charcoal fires
Big Eds in North Chicago being my fav
Smoking M's in Forest Park, Il ( about 20-30 miles west of city)
also Honey 1 and Uncle Johns in the city
Let me know if you decide to hit our area

Ive been to all of those and they are good. I still think Baby Back Blues rocks ILL socks off for prob the best BBQ in Chicagoland area.

http://www.babybackblues.com

Bill if your ever out by 55 and Route 30 in Plainfied check it out! They got one of the best BBQ sauces I have tasted. Yea def let us know if your out this way and would love to grab some BBQ with ya!

Ive been to all of those and they are good. I still think Baby Back Blues rocks ILL socks off for prob the best BBQ in Chicagoland area.

http://www.babybackblues.com

Bill if your ever out by 55 and Route 30 in Plainfied check it out! They got one of the best BBQ sauces I have tasted. Yea def let us know if your out this way and would love to grab some BBQ with ya!
have not been there yet but I do know the owner Ken..IM not sure if he is using a charcoal/wood smoker though whcih is what Diva was looking for. I think (but could be wrong) he uses Southern Pride which is gas fired
Im in that area all the time doing product demos for my sauce at the Caputos at 59 and 11tth..be glad to meet up one day

I hope there are some places mentioned that are a bit farther north of the Mason Dixon line. It would be great to see some mentioned in MN, but I have nothing to contribute myself.

I don't think it's even feasible to open a wood/charcoal restaurant in a metro area anymore. No reputation or sales base, ridiculous land/lease prices, can't compete with sub-par chain bbqs and their prices, people don't feel a need to pay for authenticity anymore, and it's tough to start anything right now. Pretty sad, really.

I know of one up North but, it's very exclusive and only serves friends and family. :laugh:

CG Hooks is in MN at White Bear Lake (St Paul region)..they serve up BBQ although I have not eaten there im only familiar with the little BBQ store attached to the restaurant
http://cghooks.com/CG_Hooks_Tallys_Dockside/C._G._Hooks_Eatery.html

I know of one up North but, it's very exclusive and only serves friends and family. :laugh:

I hear you, Butz, and I did think of you. Are Brethren considered family? I'd like to make a trip your way, but the summer's pretty packed as it is.

The Brick Pit in Mobile, AL has some of the best ribs I have eaten. (besides mine :p)

Agreed! Best BBQ in the Mobile area.

The best joint I've ever eaten at is the BBQ Barn in Odessa, TX. Here is a review I posted in April 2008, and I went back there at least 20 times that spring. Never disappointed.

I've driven by this very small restaurant twice. It wasn't open either day, but something intrigued me. I've eaten at enough bbq restaurants to know that finding great Q is difficult. More times than not I leave disappointed. This little place in Odessa, TX had a 'shack' just outside the restaurant, about 10' x 10', with a chimney out the top and a thick steel firebox poking out the side. And there was lots of wood stacked nearby.

Today I went to Subway for lunch, with some other folks. Turns out the Subway was right next door. So I got a sub, not wanting to rock the boat and try a new place that was more than likely going to disappoint.

When I was done my sub I excused myself and ran next door to check the place out. There was smoke in the air outside. Good sign. As soon as I walked in you could smell the mesquite. Great sign. Behind the counter stood the 3 friendliest old ladies you could ever meet. Good sign.
I ordered a half bound of sliced brisket and a half pound of spares. The bill came to $8.25. I told my 'associates' that I just got a snack.

We rode back to the office and the car filled with smoke & spice flavor. There was lots of jealousy, let me tell you. I wouldn't let anyone peek because I didn't want them to know how much food I bought
icon_redface.gif

I snuck into an office, shut the door, and chowed down. This was absolutely the best restaurant 'Q I've ever had. It may have been the best brisket I've ever had. I didn't even touch the sauce. The beef & ribs were lightly seasoned, but they were seasoned. Both meats were a bit on the tough side but MAN, were they loaded with flavor. Very distinct smoke flavor. The brisket was quite juicy. I was smiling. Stuffed, but smiling. The whole office smelled like smoke all afternoon. I didn't wash my fingers until 4:00 so I could keep smelling the smoke
icon_razz.gif

Life is good. I'll take pictures next time.

Back