MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #916
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

ok, im in the middle of a cook now. i reused some of he charcoal but spent some time mixing in the new with the old. took out 40 pieces of the new charcoal and put it in the chimney. while it was lighting i made a whole for the lit charcoal to go into. i waited for 16 minutes before i put the lit into the void and then put it into the pbc. i let it sit inside the pbc with the lid cracked and the rebar out for 15 min to get it hot, then i put the rebar in, closed the lid and waited 15 minutes before i hung the bird. the bird is currently cooking, and the smoke coming out of it is much clearer than the previous cook. ill keep you up to date with the results

well because my computer is so slow its been an hr and a half already and the smoke is so much more cleaner than before. previous cook was def a thick smoke, now it is almost a clear blue

thank you brethren for helping me solve my problem!!!

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #917
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

You don't need to crack the lid and pull a bar after you pour on the coals. Just pour on hot coals, put in the rebar and put the lid on. Just wait 15 min or so before you add any meat.

Not gonna get back into the charcoal lighting debate and will just say whatever works for you is great! Just realize that in the PBC meat hangs and drips on the hot coals. This creates smoke as well from the drippings burning. Chicken will not create a bunch of this smoke but something fattier like a pork butt will. I'm only telling you this because the smoke will be thicker with fattier cuts of meat or a full PBC load of meat. Don't confuse it with the bad smoke you get from not having a good fire in the PBC which it sounds like you had before.
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #918
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
ok, im in the middle of a cook now. i reused some of he charcoal but spent some time mixing in the new with the old. took out 40 pieces of the new charcoal and put it in the chimney. while it was lighting i made a whole for the lit charcoal to go into. i waited for 16 minutes before i put the lit into the void and then put it into the pbc. i let it sit inside the pbc with the lid cracked and the rebar out for 15 min to get it hot, then i put the rebar in, closed the lid and waited 15 minutes before i hung the bird. the bird is currently cooking, and the smoke coming out of it is much clearer than the previous cook. ill keep you up to date with the results

well because my computer is so slow its been an hr and a half already and the smoke is so much more cleaner than before. previous cook was def a thick smoke, now it is almost a clear blue

thank you brethren for helping me solve my problem!!!
Something I do also for (non long) cooks is just start with partial burnt and partial burnt wood chunks in the chimney . It's perfect because basically the volatiles so to speak are burnt off already and it gets hot quick and good quality smoke quick.

So the wood chunks that are around your perimeter along with partial coals that aren't fully burnt are perfect starter the next.

Yea you did real good Js! It doesn't matter what charcoal cooker you use, small hot fires RULE. What could just be a pretty good cook becomes a phenomenal cook....I call it a "clean" smoke if that makes sense.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #919
Fwismoker

Andrew is right about the grease dripping smoke...happens with fatty birds as well.

It gets to the point you will know you have good charcoal /wood chunk smoke automatically by using the small hot fire practice and when you see the gray grease smoke your nose will tell you it's good.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #920
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

idk, this set up worked this cook! ive never had a better bird. now time to enjoy my chicken and noodles. might try the enchiladas tomorrow night hmmm.....

Old 08-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #921
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
idk, this set up worked this cook! ive never had a better bird. now time to enjoy my chicken and noodles. might try the enchiladas tomorrow night hmmm.....
Hey If I didn't have to drive across the state I'd swing by for the enchiladas...sounds GOOD!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #922
agensop
On the road to being a farker

ive never waitied to put my meat on after i dump my hot coals....ive never had an issue with it.... but i have changed over to kingsford competition for my cooks. i only use the blue bag for my starter coals (they seem to light faster than the comp) only time i wait for my cooker to warm up is if i use my kettle. which has been seriously lonely since i got black beauty. im debating using her for my meatloaf...i know i have to use her for my pizza. the pbc is too deep for me to get a good grab on the pizza.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #923
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by agensop View Post
ive never waitied to put my meat on after i dump my hot coals....ive never had an issue with it.... but i have changed over to kingsford competition for my cooks. i only use the blue bag for my starter coals (they seem to light faster than the comp) only time i wait for my cooker to warm up is if i use my kettle. which has been seriously lonely since i got black beauty. im debating using her for my meatloaf...i know i have to use her for my pizza. the pbc is too deep for me to get a good grab on the pizza.
I use a 16 inch pizza crisper pan (the type with holes in the bottom) when I do pies in the PBC. Does not need preheating like a stone and does a great job on the crust. When it's time to pull it I put on heavy duty gloves and pull off the grate and pan and set on my kitchen stove. Since the coals are further away than with the Kettle much less chance of burning the crust and the toppings have time to heat up. I let the coals heat up pretty good before I put on the pizza. Does not get as hot as a ceramic cooker but we are happy with the flavor and crispy crust.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 09:31 PM   #924
Fwismoker

JMHO (I know Bob likes that) but no cook or conditions is going to be the same. Besides altitude you have different barometric pressures, outside temps, humidity, different types of meat and amounts of meat and even KBB can be serious crappy sometimes.

What works for someone in South Texas might not work for someone in Illinois etc...etc... Never a once size fits all solution for the best cook.

Set up a small hot fire, let it settle into thin smoke...If it takes 10-20 or 30 minutes then so be it, just don't rush it.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #925
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
JMHO (I know Bob likes that) but no cook or conditions is going to be the same. Besides altitude you have different barometric pressures, outside temps, humidity, different types of meat and amounts of meat and even KBB can be serious crappy sometimes.

What works for someone in South Texas might not work for someone in Illinois etc...etc... Never a once size fits all solution for the best cook.

Set up a small hot fire, let it settle into thin smoke...If it takes 10-20 or 30 minutes then so be it, just don't rush it.
For anyone who is new to the PBC, your best bet at the start is to watch the videos on the PBC site and take advice from fellow Brethren such as Adams16, AClarke44, Thingfish and ssv3. These guys own PBCs, have done many successful cooks with it, and are not here to push their own opinions on a cooker they do not own.

Once you get the hang of it, feel free to try some of the suggestions of Fwismoker and others who are great cooks and like to experiment and try new things. I am serious about this. You need to establish a baseline by following the basic instructions before you experiment, or you are likely to get frustrated with your new purchase.

Another suggestion: If after doing all the above you still are having issues, call the Pit Barrel Cooker Company at 303-249-9069. I will be made fun of for this, but Noah and Amber are great to talk to and will help you figure out how to solve any problem you may be having.

By the way I am in no way affiliated with the Pit Barrel Cooker Company. I did not know about the unit until a couple of years ago when I read a review on Amazingribs.com. I am now a happy customer and like to spread the word.
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #926
agensop
On the road to being a farker

This is true they are cool and helpful. i have spoken to amber a few time before i bought my pbc and after. they are very nice folks to deal with. i was worried about rustsbecause some of the inside came without coating. the internal pegs and the coal basket. they said once i cook on it it will get coated over with smoke and oils from cooking. havent had a problem since. this has truely been the best cooker for me to smoke on. i have figured out how to smoke on my kettle also but its far more finicky than the pbc is.

please no comments the the wsm army. the wsm would have been far more cumbersome for me and my chair to deal with. you may can do it better in the wsm but certainly not easier for me. i had a smoker like it (crappy one) that i had mess with the 3 parts and it was a pain in the ass to take it apart and put together while in my chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post

Another suggestion: If after doing all the above you still are having issues, call the Pit Barrel Cooker Company at 303-249-9069. I will be made fun of for this, but Noah and Amber are great to talk to and will help you figure out how to solve any problem you may be having.

By the way I am in no way affiliated with the Pit Barrel Cooker Company. I did not know about the unit until a couple of years ago when I read a review on Amazingribs.com. I am now a happy customer and like to spread the word.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #927
AClarke44
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Andrew

Just thought I'd provide some good reading for those thinking about getting a PBC and for the new owners. Great information from an expert in the BBQ, smoking, and grilling world.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-barrel-cooker
22.5 Crimson Weber Premium
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Turker Fryer
LoCo 80qt crawfish kit

Re-homed cookers:
Black Weber OTG (Happy Hapgood)
Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)
Char-griller Akorn
28” Blackstone Pro Series
Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco

Check out the PBC Appreciation Thread!
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210239[/url]
AClarke44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2015, 11:21 PM   #928
Fwismoker

I approve Ron's method fwiw.

Last edited by Fwismoker; 08-03-2015 at 11:41 PM..

Old 08-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #929
16Adams

I still want to do 9 racks of ribs at the same time.

Buy it, learn it- enjoy it- and load that sucker up. Seriously- fill 'er up!!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #930
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AClarke44 View Post
Just thought I'd provide some good reading for those thinking about getting a PBC and for the new owners. Great information from an expert in the BBQ, smoking, and grilling world.

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment...-barrel-cooker
I concur he's a bbq expert. Meathead has great info. Check out his articles on fire and smoke...great stuff. You might want to contact him because it might not apply to the PBC. Meathead likes the cooker but he didn't write the directions for the PBC so IDK. After reading his articles it makes me wonder how he starts up his PBC with the small hot fires he talks about in there....I assume Meathead owns one.

Here's his full article, i just put the portions down below about what we were talking about...such as small hot fire and letting the pit warm up. Again this might not apply to the PBC but since Andrew high lighted Meathead as source i thought it was applicable.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...n_of_wood.html

This one is applicable to charcoal

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech..._charcoal.html

Build a small hot fire. You want to see flame. Fires burning in the 650 to 750°F range in the hot spots burn off the impurities that can becreated in an incomplete secondary combustion. That means that you need a lot of oxygen so you want your exhaust vent open all the way. The hot air rising through the chimney will draw in air through the intake vent. You will probably want it open wide or close to it. Low smoldering wood creates dirty smoke

Allow the fire to get rolling and allow the pit to warm up. Start the fire well before the food goes on. Warm the walls of the cooker.When a recipe says "preheat" your cooker, do it. Adjust your airflow and get the temp, fire, and smoke stabilized. Be aware of the weather. It is harder to get blue smoke in cold, rainy, or windy weather.

Last edited by Fwismoker; 08-03-2015 at 11:58 PM..

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it