Derby Weekend in the 505 (Kentucky "Hot Brown" Sliders & Mexican Suadero Tacos) - w/ Tons of Pron!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Many thanks to you folks, I learned that Saturday was Derby Day! True to family form, we celebrated with Kentucky "Hot Brown" Sliders (Link to Recipe), Mint Juleps, and Homemade Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce.

"Hot Brown" Sliders

93OaMVxl.jpg

IuhR50nl.jpg

Sweet Onion "Sauce" over the top

Zlqo12xl.jpg

After a 3 hour rest in the fridge, they went in the oven for a bit.

SXHcpVtl.jpg

6KJDaHWl.jpg

My chosen horse (Hot Rod Charlie) didn't win, but it was fun to watch, nonetheless.

Bread Pudding with Homemade Whiskey Sauce Eased my "loss."

i5DaxeJl.jpg

BREAK BREAK

Suadero Adventure Time!

Having watched Netflix's Taco Chronicles and the Munchies Todos los Tacos series, it was about time I give this a shot.

I'm rolling with technique/recipe from this YouTube Video

Ingredients: (I've generally halved the below)
8-10 Lbs Brisket
1 Large Hoja Santa or 4 Bay Leafs
1 Large White Onion
4-5 Large Garlic Cloves
5 Peppercorns
1-2 Sticks of Cinnamon
1-2 Tbs Salt
2 Tsp Cumin
1/2 Cup Lard

Discovered that beef prices sky-rocketed overnight in ABQ. Could get a brisket flat for bout $30 on Friday... but now they're over $6/lb... :shock: so I bought a Prime Packer Brisket and just cut off about 3+ lbs of meat for this adventure.

xmPobxSl.jpg

Trimmed some fat, salted, and rested in a bowl out in the garage fridge overnight.

JhAiqJYl.jpg

Cooking this in the Instant Pot with some Longaniza sausage for flavor. Yes, that's lard and some bacon drippin' from my jar by the stove.

g7ySpTal.jpg

Added in the whole spices

fAGu6yXl.jpg

Started stacking meat around the sausage

grQXqQwl.jpg

In went the onion, garlic, and cumin sprinkle over the top

gU1OcEnl.jpg

On High for 60 Min

262QSv9l.jpg

Time to whip up some Salsa Roja (that didn't come out quite so roja, but tasty and spicy)

cLvWi9sl.jpg

oW9meNhl.jpg

iBb6y18l.jpg

Need a "nicer," tame salsa for my girls

grzqrDXl.jpg

F8GmOJfl.jpg

Oh, look! The sun is over the yardarm!

TuZAp90l.jpg

Now, we wait... and do laundry.

WOW!!! Can't wait to see how the laundry turns out... :bolt:

That bread pudding would erase any of my losses as well. Killer looking sliders too.

Suadero - Initial Taste Test

First, I have to admit... I'm about as inauthentic as one can get... a Gringo from North Carolina living in ABQ...

Let the Instant Pot run the 60 minutes, then finish a natural release.

Opened the lid and fished around a little to find this:

Xlykzdxl.jpg

It's pretty early for this to be done (intentional on my part), but I intend for it to Stay Warm before serving much like the Muñecos place in Munchies Todo los Tacos show.

HAD to take a taste, even before the veg... but with a little salsa.

Quick chop-chop of a little sausage and beef... VERY tender... and into the skillet with some leftover bacon grease from this morning to crisp up. Covered with a couple of small street taco-sized tortillas to steam.

EWy7ReWl.jpg

Made one for CINCHOUSE "with a copy" (2 tortillas) and a little of each salsa. - Big Thumbs Up. :thumb:

SYXdWedl.jpg

Can't wait for dinner. Instant Pot on "Keep Warm."

More to follow.

Well, let me jockey for position in the serving line and then we'll saddle up to the bar for a mint julep. Everything is coming up roses, my friend. How furlong are you in being finished?

Well, let me jockey for position in the serving line and then we'll saddle up to the bar for a mint julep. Everything is coming up roses, my friend. How furlong are you in being finished?

You caught me horsin' around.... and hoping I don't catch a colt with these temperature swings in the 505.

You're welcome to a julep if The Boss' unbridled thirst doesn't consume it first. Otherwise, it was mint for you.

Time now 15L... shooting for 18L-ish for grub. We'll adjust fire as the monkey just went down for a nap, and I've got a dollar that says CINCHOUSE will, too.

I'll do my best to stay out of the kitchen and away from the Instant Pot, but it smells ridiculously good...

This is going to be good...

sk2XjLnl.jpg

5F7n9jgl.jpg

aqQfjpDl.jpg

e5KBf3Dl.jpg

Family is knee-deep in theirs.

I'm back around for Round 2!

QnlHOWpl.jpg

Now, I understand why this works so well on the streets of Mexico City! The lime and salsa helps cut through the fatty fatty goodness. This stuff sticks with you after the 2nd-3rd round!

Next time, I need more spice... more heat. Bring it.

Hell yeah, brother. Put some of that in a cooler, hop in that flying gyrocopter of yours, and fly some down to sunny Fla.

Tacos look great :thumb: brisket prices way way up here too. So is pork. I don’t think I’ve ever seen full spare ribs ribs crack $3/lb at Sam’s yet here we are :shock:

Hell yeah, brother. Put some of that in a cooler, hop in that flying gyrocopter of yours, and fly some down to sunny Fla.

:shock: - You think I fly CV-22s!?

It's "Shadow" Driver (yes, they're retired).... but (Retired) "Commando II" Driver also works.

This explains so much about the (lack of) "air knowledge" in the SFGs :shock: :razz:

Cao9XAYl.jpg

Gv3lACul.jpg

w4pKeunl.jpg

... and I would happily bring a smorgasbord of this down to Tampa... or Pope's Red Ramp, or Aviano... with libations.

Back