MAK vs Yoder final impressions

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So this is going to be my final impressions on the MAK vs Yoder with some facts and opinions mixed in.
Fact: MAK produces more smoke on everything than the Yoder. Even at 375, for 20 minutes, your food will absorb more smoke.
Fact: MAK temperature from top to bottom grate is within 5 degrees. Yoder can be off up to 15-20 degrees from top/bottom and left/right. My opinions on this later.
Fact: MAK comes to temp faster and uses less pellets than Yoder (not really fair comparison since Yoder is a bit bigger cook chamber)
Fact: Both are really easy to clean fire pot, grease, and ash.
Fact, Both produces great food, MAK more smokey.
Fact: Yoder has greater pit temp swings than MAK.
Opinion: I believe the design of the MAK funnels the heat up, allowing the pellets to smolder more while using less fan. The smaller cook chamber requires less fan (air) required so this aides in smoke profile. Yoder uses more fan to keep the pellets burning hotter, this the smoke is cleaner, less pronounced.
Opinion: The design of the center fire pot, flame zone, and exhaust vents in the rear keep the pit temperature extremely consistent across the entire pit regardless of grate. The (offset) design of the Yoder with side fire pot, traditional chimney stack, allows for greater variances in temperature depending on top grate, bottom, left, or right. That’s not a bad thing. It allows for multi-temp cooking on one setting.
Opinion: Yoder can produce the same smokey flavor profile as the MAK, but multi-temp and longer cooks will have to be used to achieve it. MAK will give a great smoke profile without having to adjust temps or times.
Opinion: MAK makes a better smoker. When mid-high (325-450) temp range is required for baking/air frying and less smoke is desirable, Yoder is better.
Winner: ME. I have the best of both worlds and am really enjoying both and how they each react to food differently.
I hope this helps people when trying to decide which of the 2 is better for their needs. I plan on reverse searing some tri-tip soon.

There's a guy on YouTube somewhere who shows how to adjust the Yoder's baffle until biscuits cook evenly across the entire lower grate.

I surfed around for it just now but couldn't find it.

Does the MAK low air volume leave any stale smoke taste? That is what I love best about a stick burner, lots of air & clean blue smoke, just leaves a great flavor from the constant wood burning.

Sounds like the Yoder tries to emulate this more closely, just not as much flavor from burning a pellet than actual sticks.

Last edited:
Nice review and being a former Yoder owner, I’d agree with most of your opinions on the Yoder. Nice job and I agree....the real winner is YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for your comparison review. It sounds like I would prefer the smoke and flavor from Yoder over MAK. I like lighter smoke flavor and cleaner taste. Heavy smoke is actually a con in my book. And I think people freak out too much over small temperature fluctuations. It's not unusual to see over 100 degrees fluctuations with my Copperhead 5 pellet smoker, and I don't worry about it. It still produces fine smoked food and in the end, that's what matters.

Thanks Jeffry, great reviews. Very informative and entertaining. :thumb:

Does the MAK low air volume leave any stale smoke taste? That is what I love best about a stick burner, lots of air & clean blue smoke, just leaves a great flavor from the constant wood burning.

Sounds like the Yoder tries to emulate this more closely, just not as much flavor from burning a pellet than actual sticks.

The smoke flavor isn’t stale by any means, but is much more pronounced. The Yoder, IMHO, does try to emulate the stick burner. Almost to a fault. The pellet is so clean to start, then Yoder tries to make it even cleaner. The smoke is very light. I’ve learned over the last week, both really have their strengths and weaknesses. Originally, my intent was to buy the Yoder to replace the MAK. But after cooking and eating off both, they cook so differently, I think I’m going to keep both. Cooking and eating on both has really been fun too.

Excellent work! Thanks for taking us along. We’re all the winners, not just you... lol.

Thanks! It was really fun and I enjoyed it a lot. The flavor and process of cooking on each one has been so different, I’m sure I’m going to keep them both, now. It really opened my eyes though. Not all pellet grills are the same regardless of the quality of pellets you use. I bow my head to MAK for making a smoker that almost equals charcoal and stick burners. I’m going to love experimenting with the Yoder to get the perfect smoke profile out of it.

Thanks for your work you put into this and as I continue to ponder on which one to buy next.

Thanks for your work you put into this and as I continue to ponder on which one to buy next.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns with either. Both have strong and weak points, but everyone’s priorities are different. So based on what you’re trying to get after, I can maybe help eliminate one from the equation! I’m intrigued by the Pitts and Spits, just couldn’t afford it. Also pondered the Outlaw smokers for some time too.

Thanks for all yer time and effort in comparing the two cookers!

Thanks again for all your comparison work. I'm glad I don't have to trade in my MAK for a Yoder!

Thanks for sharing your impressions and congrats on owning two great grills!

Now if you could go buy a Memphis and add that to the comparison...lol. Love my Memphis. I think it would end up with the smoke flavor of the Yoder and the temp accuracy of the MAK. That thing will hold temp rock solid as long as you keep pellets in there. It has a center fire box like the MAK and has very consistent temps front to back and right to left other than the very front 2 inches. Personally, I would prefer more smoke, but I have smoke tubes for that.

I have a recteq rt700. Based on your comparison, I'd say my recteq is probably more comparable to the Yoder as far as how it cooks and the smoke flavor. My recteq is very accurate, temp wise though (+/-5*). I've been very happy with everything I've cooked in that cooker!

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison on these two cookers. Even though I dont have either cooker nor do I plan to get one, I was still interested in the results. I have no doubt that either cooker would satisfy just about anyone who purchased one. :thumb:

Back