MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #1
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Proposed pork rule change

I've been BBQ slacking. Work and life have kept me busy. Linked below is the proposed pork rule change. Discuss among yourselves, contact the board if you see fit. Yadda, yadda, yadda....

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17657

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-21-2021, 10:43 AM   #2
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Much ado being made about the last part of this post, and not actually looking at the rule, and what is changing, which is basically nothing except not being required to have the pork at a certain weight when they inspect it. Everything people are worried about happening with this change is all legal now, as long as you don't do it until after inspection.

IMHO

Old 07-21-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
thirdeye

I think this would give the most flexibility for the cooks. But at the end of the day, I bet most cooks will opt to cook 3 or 4 Coppa roasts. This will take less time and have less waste.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #4
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

I like the proposed changes and kind of felt that way all along. If they decide to approve it, they can always go back and amend it if there are a lot of unforseen problems. You never know until you try.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
Much ado being made about the last part of this post, and not actually looking at the rule, and what is changing, which is basically nothing except not being required to have the pork at a certain weight when they inspect it. Everything people are worried about happening with this change is all legal now, as long as you don't do it until after inspection.

IMHO
Maybe I am misreading it, but I see one other change...

Quote:
Current rule:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at the time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out). However, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced, or a combination of any of those.
Proposed rule:
PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic, Collar (aka Cellar) and/or Whole Shoulder.
The new rule now allows pork collar, which was excluded perviously.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 07:27 AM   #6
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I really liked the matching verbiage of the new pork description with the brisket description. Short, easy to understand and no "I wonder ifs". Personally I was still in favor of a minimum weight, mostly because the pork category was one of the two big meats KCBS wanted to showcase cookers skills.
My biggest dislike is throwing pork collar, which was deemed illegal years ago due to its small size back into consideration.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

Because most of the time it would fall under the 4# weight limit. SRF has some nice photos of theirs on the site.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

SRF description of their pork collar:

The Snake River Farms pork collar is a beautifully marbled cut with a rich, remarkable flavor. Pork collars are a familiar item in Europe and because of their intense marbling are used to make traditional sausages. This boneless cut is starting to gain a following in the U.S. and makes the occasional appearance on restaurant menus. The collar is cut from the shoulder portion that runs from the neck to the tip of the loin. This versatile, boneless item is excellent roasted, braised in stock or cut into chops and grilled.

Does this fall into the original KCBS ideal of a big meat? Or is it a modern day quick and easy, hot cooked, UDS/pellet plug and play solution?
I'm surprised nobody has made mention of the inclusion of the possibility of turning in a regional cut such as "pork steaks". It looks like from the SRF site a slice from the collar would look kinda like a pork steak!!!
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #9
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

This is true. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to discern a trimmed down collar from a butt, however. Heck, there are butts now that leave some of that collar on that teams have been using for years. This just simplifies it, imo.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

I look at the weight requirement like this:

If there never was one, one wouldn't be added the way that it currently is. They wouldn't just add it to one meat, they would add it to either all 4 (must cook 6 oz pieces of chicken, 2.5 lb ribs - or maybe x number of bones), or to 2 to keep the big meat/little meat in play.

It also seems ridiculous to propose adding a weight requirement to brisket, so therefore I believe removing it from pork is appropriate.

Old 07-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
(pork collar) Does this fall into the original KCBS ideal of a big meat? Or is it a modern day quick and easy, hot cooked, UDS/pellet plug and play solution?
I'm surprised nobody has made mention of the inclusion of the possibility of turning in a regional cut such as "pork steaks". It looks like from the SRF site a slice from the collar would look kinda like a pork steak!!!
Ed
The discussion on the proposed rule does mention pork steak, but why risk a judge biting from the large center muscle of a pork steak? The muscle groups in a collar are not as delicate as the muscles in the money muscle end roast (Coppa Roast).

Old 07-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #12
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

A pork collar is a pure 100% manufactured marketing term. The official name is a CT Butt and it is legal and often used in KCBS. A SRF CT butt (AKA collar) is legal right now as the rule is written if it is over 4 pounds. In my experience about 1 out of 3 is this size. Prairie Fresh makes a CT cut (collar) that is sold by specialty BBQ stores and is extremely popular on the comp circuit. I doubt there’s a rep anywhere that can point at your butt in a cooler and say “nope, that’s a collar” which is to be expected because it’s a meaningless marketing term applied differently by different companies.

If you watch Tim and I trim we are cutting to essentially a collar, but we are a couple of “modern day quick and easy, hot cooked, UDS/pellet plug and play” cooks with zero skill that ruined BBQ by thinking outside the box. We somehow win with our shortcuts and have made all the low and slow guys cooking on more traditional cookers turn up the heat.

BBQ should be hard and barely edible, so I propose a minimum time rule instead of a minimum size rule. NO NEW TECHNIQUES! That’s the key. Innovation is clearly ruining BBQ. 14 hours on the smoker minimum, fuel should be green hedge for maximum smoke flavor. I also think we should be cooking whole animals (which we raise and slaughter ourselves) and cooking in pits we hand dig on Friday at the competition site.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #13
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Oh, and I can’t wait to grill some pork steaks and turn them in! Something new!!

Old 07-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #14
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

And later, we should start a thread bitching about Blues Hog and the lack of innovation in competition BBQ!

Old 07-22-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
PatAttack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
And later, we should start a thread bitching about Blues Hog and the lack of innovation in competition BBQ!

Now that's funny!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote