MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #166
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

We don't need no stinkin' TD... Lord knows I try to win. But we are doing this any ways... I'll start prepping mine tomorrow for SB...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-03-2018, 05:07 AM   #167
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Grate temps has been 265-275 all night and IT for the flat is only at 155 after 6 hours. At 22 pounds, this mother packer is a BEAST. I still wrapped it though. I need some sleep.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #168
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Default We need a Select grade brisket Throw Down

Well, it pass the bend test but still dry as hell. Why and how?? All because it is Select grade? I wasn’t happy with the bark either but it stayed wrapped for 5 hours. Never doing a 20 plus pounder again.

Edit: This is after 11 hours with the average temp being 275ish. I wrapped at 6 hours when it was at 154F. Pulled it when the Weber had the flat at 203F but all the spot checking showed 207-211F for the temp. Probed like stale peanut butter. Vented for only 10 minutes and rest for 90 minutes before I started slicing.

Last edited by Czarbecue; 02-03-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Czarbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #169
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Damn Jersey milk cows anyways!

Wonder if Paul thinks that could have used another 25 minutes of cook time?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #170
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

“That's the way brisket go”

―(not) Ron Washington

If making brisket were the same as busting out a PBJ on white- who could be be proud to whip out a "good 'un"?

I think it's a nice looking brisket - shame about it being a little dry. Slice it thin-ish and hit it with some bbq sauce thinned with a bit of beef broth (or juice from your cook).

The next one will be better - that's what I keep telling myself.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #171
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

I guess this shows using higher grade beef does most of the work for average cooks This piece of Select was not as firm as the others in the case so it may have been out of the freezer for at least 24 hours. But for now, Czar 0, Select 1. Well played.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #172
SmittyJonz

Smoked me Select last Saturday, had Dental Work on Monday morning - now that me mouth is feeling better there's NO Brisket left overs left..........
Guess I Need to knock out another Delicious Select Walmart Brisket.........

Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #173
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

This has been a good thread- I'm glad the "lowly" select brisket was given a shot to be in the limelight for once (twice maybe? nvm)

I'd rather catch choice on sale - but I've cooked -what I'd call- a lot of selects over the last 4 years. Never regretted them or buried them in the backyard and swore witnesses to secrecy. Maybe my cooks make them more like tasty pot roasts- I foil by preference. I have used butcher paper- never really got anything from it but less 'jus and some oily paper. Nor have I cooked one to completion naked on the grate. I will have to do that one day - just to see.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #174
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
Damn Jersey milk cows anyways!

Wonder if Paul thinks that could have used another 25 minutes of cook time?
In my unofficial select brisket experience it would need a few more minutes or skip the vent. Every little little bit helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #175
smoke ninja

Im in!

Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #176
SmittyJonz

Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM   #177
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Im in!

I'm detecting something. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #178
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

Sorry I'm so late. Been one of those weeks. Did five briskets for the Super Bowl, four Prime, and one Select. Here's the pics:

All five briskets on at 11 pm. The top two Primes were done at 8 am. The bottom two Primes were done at 9 am. The Select didn't come off until 10:30 am. As you can see, I over cooked it a little. The fold test broke. It tasted alright though.

At the price I can get Primes for, I'll stick with them when I can...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #179
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

If it tasted good that's a win right there :)

Larry

Old 02-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #180
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Stopped back by the wally world, I'm sorry for 2.96/lb, I just couldn't buy the piece of Mexican beef, besides they only had one to pick from.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote