• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Budapest

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
For our younger son's 19th birthday we took him on a short vacation to Budapest. It's a beautiful east European city, with old and new construction, breathtaking views, cool night life and some amazing food. The city is separated by the Danube river to two parts Buda and Pest. We stayed in a hotel on the Pest side. Most of our time was spent in Pest. We took one day to tour Buda.
Here are some of the things we saw:
A river boat sail gives you a condensed tour of all the nice views, palaces and monuments.

eZUSGGnh.jpg

ChREW9vh.jpg

lw0fLeih.jpg

But as the sun sets it turns breathtaking.

fnTmpr2h.jpg

RICpNWqh.jpg

0nNsOWhh.jpg

0k0Sbdyh.jpg

HPj0Agfh.jpg

Roaming the streets

t8w4QGoh.jpg

CfYy1cvh.jpg

BG5rpnmh.jpg

pRaUkyNh.jpg

XUmiIEQh.jpg

CvsY6iHh.jpg

LfTwginh.jpg

LE4l6rgh.jpg

On the Buda side of the river a calmer more classic vibe. We climbed this hill on foot.

7wvepH3h.jpg

sFcVmrsh.jpg

q1mUYFQh.jpg

The city’s largest cathedral

feNBHDWh.jpg

UTcLjKXh.jpg

1emYvKvh.jpg

Back to Pest inside the parliament palace

NBPeJOTh.jpg

p0BRQgWh.jpg

Cigar holders…

g2xOxl9h.jpg

Nighttime

zMuxNJQh.jpg

VoeZKpCh.jpg

9B3Jf1Ch.jpg

The Jewish side – the largest synagogue in Europe, second largest in the world

W5VI6cqh.jpg

X9uNuR2h.jpg

XlSJQ2th.jpg

In the yard there were several holocaust memorials. Names over mass graves.

nLVxkizh.jpg

A tree statue with names etched into the leaves

liYz2Qrh.jpg

And by the river the shoes memorial where Jews were shot on dropped to the water.

QY93RSQh.jpg

nXtfzz6h.jpg

Another case of history re-written. The statue in the back was erected by the city to symbolize the Hungarians oppression by the Nazis. The true story was of cooperation and assistance in the annihilation of the Hungarian Jews. A small line of pictures and documents was placed by the Jewish community under the big statue telling the real story. Then the city built the fountain to focus attention away from the documents.

rqeLnPYh.jpg

AND NOW the FOOD…

The food was amazing. Goulash like I’ve never had was like a new dish to me. They really take pride in peppers and paprika. We had a guide take us to some of the local diners and try some of the Hungarian food. It was delicious.

wE6pFyDh.jpg

j5m6U0yh.jpg

yS7Fc3eh.jpg

GaCZo1gh.jpg

Stuffed cabbage with sour cream

YsghBOqh.jpg

Square noodles with sweet pickled cabbage

7jqNn5xh.jpg

Retesh which is a kind of pastry sweet or salty

TkyXGUdh.jpg

Local alcohol made of fruit or peppers.

GI5hgz2h.jpg

Sweet cucumber with sour cream

XaNHb19h.jpg

Crapes that we call Blinches. My wife’s favorite

VAsEjwfh.jpg

Qy3Z67th.jpg

Amazing cakes. They have national competitions for cakes and an annual recipe is declared the official annual cake.

TC27J7hh.jpg

J2iyzgoh.jpg

MF1NQkNh.jpg

YJT5WMhh.jpg

pbK8176h.jpg

t91T3F9h.jpg

5UHnkhlh.jpg

Good stuff…

DDsqmXFh.jpg

7eA0Xqnh.jpg

77bSSc0h.jpg

edlsRGmh.jpg

Altogether a highly recommended trip with a good vibe and really nice things to eat.

Epic, great pictures,thanks for taking us along.
Some reflection as well,
Those cakes got my attention.
Happy birthday to the Boy

Epic, great pictures,thanks for taking us along.
Some reflection as well,
Those cakes got my attention.
Happy birthday to the Boy

Thanks brother. The cakes were really good but after a long tour and 9-10 dishes I "tasted" I discovered I no longer have a separate desert stomach.

Spectacular post - words and pix! Thanks for putting that up.

Incredible photos! Thanks for posting them.

Whoa! Absolutely beautiful. I haven't been in far too long, but you sure brought back a lot of good memories, especially the goulash! Love the goulash. First time I was there in the early nineties, it wasn't so food friendly. On my wife's first visit she had a pizza with frozen peas as one of the toppings. Fifteen years later it was completely changed for the better. I think I still have a bottle of Tokaj in the basement from my last trip there some 12 years back. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks brother. East Europe has changed a lot in the past 10 years, some for the better and some not... Prices have gone up, hotels and restaurants aren't as cheap as they used to be. And the local's attitude towards tuorists has become less welcoming. I'm generalizing of course.

Thanks brother. East Europe has changed a lot in the past 10 years, some for the better and some not... Prices have gone up, hotels and restaurants aren't as cheap as they used to be. And the local's attitude towards tuorists has become less welcoming. I'm generalizing of course.

Agreed. I organized a conference in Bratislava in 2001 and the rooms were $6/night and we we had an all-day tour for some 40-50 people to visit some castles in the countryside for a whopping $200 total, for everyone, including bus transportation, tour guide, entrance fees and lunch. I couldn't believe it when they provided the quote, but that's what it cost. It wasn't luxurious, but it was amazing. Oh my gawd, how much wine we drank! Great wine and practically free. One meal, we had over 3 liters per person. I've made it back a few times since then. It's still lovely, prettier than before, but the prices are the same as ours now.

That is awesome. Thanks for the pics. Now I need to go for a visit.

I remember going to Budapest back in the late 80's before the 'wall' came down. I remember how friendly the people were to see an AMERICAN in Soviet Hungary. I was surprised to see Fuji Film everywhere!

The busses and Strawberries were the main Soviet products of Hungary at the time. I was not a huge fan of Strawberries back then and remember almost everything sweet was a Strawberry themed item. I remember going into a little breakfast pastry type shop and pointing out a few things since the girls at the counter didn't speak English or German and I didn't speak Russian. Apparently I was a big spender based on the expressions and reactions I got, especially when I went back for some more strawberry crepes. On the official exchange rate, I think I spent somewhere between 60 and 80 cents USD and I had some of everything in the display case plus seconds! It really was delicious.

:-D That really was a nicer trip than I expected. The Red Wine I got there was awsome too and was <$2USD a bottle.

If you enjoy a place like Budapest, Cologne Germany has a similar feel I assume from the ancient Roman influence.

Thanks for sharing! My family and I visited Budapest last summer for about 7 days and thought it was one of the most beautiful cities we've seen. It's such picturesque city full of beautiful young people and wonderful vibe. I loved the food there and prices were so cheap compared to Western Europe. We also took a train from Budapest and visited Vienna for couple days and while Vienna was also great, we preferred Budapest.

Back