MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #61
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I'm actually pretty tempted here...anymore reviews? For those who have watched the whole series do you feel like the tips / tricks are going to enhance your briskets?

So far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->

Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #62
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by foam2 View Post
He does make up a bbq sauce in the video and the recipe is given but it is for his ribs. I don’t know if it is the same as what is for the pulled pork. Will have to go back and watch.
It's not the same. The sauce on his pulled pork is closer to Lexington dip, but nothing I've tried has completely nailed it.

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 02:14 PM   #63
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Teaser looks interesting.

However, it really looks like it's aimed at stick burners. Is it worthwhile if you don't have one?

Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #64
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

STAGE 4
Return the wrapped ribs to the smoker with the seam of the foil facing up and cook for three more hours at 265–270°F.

I notice he said he wraps in foil for 3 hours at 270*, then sorta says "it could finish early." I think theres going to be a lot of people making mushy ribs.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #65
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

Just to make sure I'm clear...

If you buy just the CLASS (for $90) you get to keep (but not download) the program for "lifetime."...but...if you buy the Annual Pass (for $180 a year) you no longer have access to the content if you stop paying...???

Also, it says that the class has a "Downloadable Cookbook"...How is it? Is it less/more/same as his book?

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #66
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan BBQ Fan View Post
Just to make sure I'm clear...

If you buy just the CLASS (for $90) you get to keep (but not download) the program for "lifetime."...but...if you buy the Annual Pass (for $180 a year) you no longer have access to the content if you stop paying...???

Also, it says that the class has a "Downloadable Cookbook"...How is it? Is it less/more/same as his book?

The "cookbook" is a 40 page .pdf summary of what he covers in the video. Its not actually a cookbook.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM   #67
ruger35
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Nope

I keep having mixed feelings of getting the $90 version or not. I'd like to keep them, but gave both of his books and feel like I could probably just peruse through them for the same information he may be providing in the videos.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #68
Smoke Avenger
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I bought the class last night and I just now finished the brisket series. Just that segment alone justifies the price for me. I've farked up, and would continue to fark up, way more than the $90 in briskets with improper trimming and slicing.

The dude is easy to listen and relate to, and he reduces details to the ridiculous. It's kinda like watching a great UFC fight. It makes me think I can go out and whoop a brisket's arse.

Last edited by Smoke Avenger; 05-22-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Smoke Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #69
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Avenger View Post
I bought the class last night and I just now finished the brisket series. Just that segment alone justifies the price for me. I've farked up, and would continue to fark up, way more than the $90 in briskets with improper trimming and slicing.

The dude is easy to listen and relate to, and he reduces details to the ridiculous. It's kinda like watching a great UFC fight. It makes me think I can go out and whoop a brisket's arse.

You could probably learn just as much for free by watching Harry Soo's youtube videos.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #70
Smoke Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
You could probably learn just as much for free by watching Harry Soo's youtube videos.
I'm a huge fan of Harry's and have watched most of his videos, and I'm subscribed to his channel. I wouldn't compare his style to Franklin's. If you look at Harry's finished product compared to Franklin's, you wouldn't think they came from the same species of animal.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #71
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Avenger View Post
Keep hearing this about the video. The trimming and slicing seems to be a selling point, but to me, that part is really easy to figure out with the myriad of information free on this site and elsewhere. I'm more curious about the cook process like how to know when the fat has rendered properly and it's time to wrap (wrap based on fat color rather than bark color). How to get a thick Texas style bark that will hold up during a long hold. Whether to keep temp constant throughout the cook or to vary it based on phase of fat rendering and bark formation. Any mention of these things?
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #72
Smoke Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
Keep hearing this about the video. The trimming and slicing seems to be a selling point, but to me, that part is really easy to figure out with the myriad of information free on this site and elsewhere. I'm more curious about the cook process like how to know when the fat has rendered properly and it's time to wrap (wrap based on fat color rather than bark color). How to get a thick Texas style bark that will hold up during a long hold. Whether to keep temp constant throughout the cook or to vary it based on phase of fat rendering and bark formation. Any mention of these things?
Yes. There's all that and a lot more. When I say he reduces details to the ridiculous, I mean every single factor you can think of. It reminds me of the painstaking process of loading precision rifle ammo. It's that detailed.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 AM   #73
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post

Not at all. They teach two completely different things. Total polar opposites.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #74
Gunman9
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Gunman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Not at all. They teach two completely different things. Total polar opposites.
Agreed. If you listen carefully in detail what franklin is saying in this class there are some really good gems of info. Stuff I never even considered before.
Gunman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2019, 12:06 PM   #75
Ron
Found some matches.

link to a two-part Franklin how to cook a rib video. I watched both, pretty good info in it. Wonder how it matches up to the paid version.

http://bbqblvd.com/aaron-franklin-rib-recipe/
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote