• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Work Sharp Knife Sharpener

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Gaining confidence. This is a custom made knife from 1981. Brazilian Cherry D2 Stainless custom made and kiln to a RH Of 58? Could be off but that’s what I remember. I have 3 from this maker. He made the knives and leather sheaths. This is the only one I’ve used. Two Elk, 5X5 and a 6X6. Lots of central Texas Deer. Trout too, when I used to keep and eat instead of catch and release. It has great memories. I’ve always had it professionally sharpened at a knife store and used a diamond or stone in the field.
I’ve probably sharpened 20-25 knives now and a couple pair of scissors. Today I sharpened this “treasure to me”. myself with my Work Sharp. I didn’t screw it up.
That’s a big deal

Last edited:
yea the work sharp and the kindling cracker are the best suggested items from this site on the non grill side...

the vortex is still cash thrown in the fire

yea the work sharp and the kindling cracker are the best suggested items from this site on the non grill side...

the vortex is still cash thrown in the fire

There are few bbq gadgets I use more than the Vortex.

I’d even go as far as saying I wouldn’t want to have to cook wings or sear a steak on a Weber without one

Great you're having luck getting a good edge with the WS. I tried and tried, but just couldn't get an edge like that of my Wicked Edge. I still have the WS system and hope to spend more time it when I can. WE just gives me such a clean, even bevel, mirror edge.
gGKS7jo.jpg

Nice knife. I have one that has been with me for skinning many a deer and hog but its not as fancy as yours. Just a plain Rigid but it holds an edge and does the job. Have not used my Work Sharp on it in that it has been in retirement for a while now. Use the Work Sharp Ken Onion on most everything else.

Great you're having luck getting a good edge with the WS. I tried and tried, but just couldn't get an edge like that of my Wicked Edge. I still have the WS system and hope to spend more time it when I can. WE just gives me such a clean, even bevel, mirror edge.
gGKS7jo.jpg

Which Wicked Edge model is that? I've been thinking about getting one. Tried my hand at wet stones and it's just not my thing.

I could be a "knife guy" if I didn't watch it. Your's looks great. My SIL has a Ken Onion WS. I used it to sharpen some broadheads this season - they are dangerous. Great tool.

I'm lovin' the KO WS. Took time and practice on older knives before using it on my Knives of Alaska. You can get to the stupid sharp stage with patience. Its nice to read magazine print in the reflection. At that point it will cut you if you look at it wrong.

I just used mine to do the kitchen knives on Tuesday. Plus, I sharpened my scissors because the other occupants of the house have killed them.

When I hunted a lot I carried one of these. It was amazing how useful it was in the field. I’m going to look for it. I’m pretty sure that I can go straight to it. I had a Puma with rubber handle attached to it. I can probably put that Puma to use, caress the machete and put it back away.

Ontario Knife Company 8683 SP8 Machete Survival 10"" Sawback Blade, Cordura and Leather Sheath, Black, one Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07763QCFG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_GfoYFbZJATN45

Which Wicked Edge model is that? I've been thinking about getting one. Tried my hand at wet stones and it's just not my thing.

I have the WE130, however if I had it to do over, I'd stretch and get the Gen 3 Pro. I really have tried many sharpeners over the years, even a Tormek and hand sharpening, but none have produced such a precise edge as the WE for me. I can stop at any level or take the bevels all the way to a mirror. There was a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you can literally split hairs with the edge.
Because of cost, this system is not for everyone, but I have a collection of kitchen knives and folders and was always in search of the best edge I could get.

How do y'all sharpen serrated or scalloped knives ?

Seems a lot of paring knives are scalloped.

I’ve had one for a year now and still haven’t used it once :sad::oops:

Back