Which BBQ toys did you initially roll your eyes at but came to love?

thought the gas charcoal lighter on the Performer was the dumbest idea ever, but I use it all the time. Particularly helpful since I no longer get a newspaper.

You could put having cotton gloves layered under nitrile in that category. I've now given some away to a half dozen people and show everyone how well they work.

I would say the kettle is probably the better example. Read a million posts about how one doesn't need xyz cooker, "I can do all that on my kettle" etc. Started to feel a little like "I can fix that with two popsicle sticks and a roll of duck tape". Yeah, I'm sure you CAN cook a lot on a kettle but that doesn't mean there aren't much better options out there, right?

Then I found one for $35 close out at at Walmart due to this site. Unbelievably fun and easy to use. Ended up upgrading to the 26" and I cook more on the kettle than any other option. I've thought about trying a Hasty Bake, Assassin or M1 for years and realistically, I don't see myself doing it. I rarely need the extra space and the kettle is just easier to get up and running and clean up. Great ash collection system. With the slow and sear, it's just a great cooker

Now, still consider the M1 due to it's wood burning capability but then I have to decide between it and a 36" SF

I thought the Santa Maria accessories for the Weber 22" kettle and the Smoky Joe were a little over the top. I ended up making my own and they are now my most used accessories.

Thought the Grill Gun was too much, but felt I needed it. It's going to replace my weed burner charcoal starter now.
https://grillblazer.com/

Easy one for me- the Thermapen. For years on these pages I rolled my eyes about laying out ~$100 to get temp readings less than 2 seconds faster than the $20 Thermopop.

I read how everyone loved 'em and I'd keep seeing them used on all the cooking shows, but I resisted.

"Think of all the meat you can buy for the price difference" was my song and dance.

When the 2nd Gen was released my resistance weakened....when Thermoworks put it on sale for $75, I caved.

And man I'm glad I did.

"Should have done it years ago!" :oops: :doh:

I'm also in the chimney starter camp having been raised in a household of newspaper and Weber charcoal starter fluid (actually missed the "unique" flavor that combo added - tastes like Burger King). This lead to something I thought and still think is a gimmick with a worse flavor - match light charcoal. Then the chimney and then lump over briquette.

Stick burner. A WSM or BGE can produce the same flavor that a clean stick burner can, right?

I'd jokingly put in a pellet grill but I'd need to make room for it and then thoroughly test it.

For me - the Blackstone griddle.

I always looked upon these as if they were cheating in the bbq world. It wasn't really grilling and I could do the same with a CI skillet or pizza pan on my Kamado.

Then I bought one and boy was I wrong! The Blackstone gets tons of use and is one exceptional tool in my small arsenal of outdoor cookers. A definite game changer.

This lead to something I thought and still think is a gimmick with a worse flavor - match light charcoal.

Agreed 100%. Match light is a bunch of nonsense. I tried it a few times and still had to use lighter fluid. :mad2:

Lots of shiny gadgets (useful or junk) to be had out there. The market preys noobies, unfortunately.

I like to keep things simple. I have a Thermapen, a roti, and a Vortex for my Weber, but I don't consider them gadgets. They're essential to the way I cook.

Slow 'N Sear, can't say the Vortex because after seeing all the great cooks with the Vortex ordered one then went and bought a Weber Performer to replace the one I sold. Wouldn't have a Kettle without the SnS or the Vortex for that matter. I've bought SnS's for my father and son to use on their kettles, Pop's has had his 2 years now and still hasn't used it, next time I go up to see him, I'm breaking it in. :doh:

WiFi temp controller. Now at 3am, I can not move in bed and ask Alexa how my cook is and I can fall right back asleep.

The Vortex for my Weber kettles...love that thing. And Grill Grates...I’m still not entirely sold on the “ridged” side but the flat side works insane for searing.

I thought the Santa Maria accessories for the Weber 22" kettle and the Smoky Joe were a little over the top. I ended up making my own and they are now my most used accessories.

Thought the Grill Gun was too much, but felt I needed it. It's going to replace my weed burner charcoal starter now.
https://grillblazer.com/

Just took a look at the "Grill Gun", and yes, I do want one. A lot easier than waiting for the chimney to be ready to pour in to the WSM 22.

This will sound crazy, but growing up I used to think that charcoal chimneys were dumb. Don't even get my started on starting cubes. Now I couldn't live without either one.

vortex, thermapen, thermoworks smoke. in that order.

Just took a look at the "Grill Gun", and yes, I do want one. A lot easier than waiting for the chimney to be ready to pour in to the WSM 22.

Other than looks is there any difference between the grill gun and a brazing torch ?

I love my "Weed Burner" hooked to a 20 lb. propane tank.Makes lighting a breeze.Thermapen is another one I would not want to live without.I use it inside as much as grilling/ smoking.

Back