MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #106
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
And generally speaking, you'll get 6 times one, half dozen the other.
It's true
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #107
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I debated starting a new thread on this, but I'll try here first...

I know that Noah says that he presets the PBC for Kingsford Blue, but I don't have any and really don't want to buy any since I still have half a pallet of Rancher hardwood briquettes. Has anyone tried other briquettes besides Kingsford Blue?
I have been using ozark oak in mine and the end result is a hotter cook. I use my pbc for chicken so running at 325-350 is a-okay with me. My chickens halves have been perfectly cooked in about an hour fifteen.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #108
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
I have been using ozark oak in mine and the end result is a hotter cook. I use my pbc for chicken so running at 325-350 is a-okay with me. My chickens halves have been perfectly cooked in about an hour fifteen.
Thanks! I suspect that Rancher will run hotter, too. I just can't being myself to buy charcoal when I have some in the garage

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #109
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Thanks! I suspect that Rancher will run hotter, too. I just can't being myself to buy charcoal when I have some in the garage
Not to hijack, but when I used any of the "natural" hardwood briqs ( Rancher, Trader Joe's, Stubb's or Maple Leaf ) in my Big Drum Smoker clones, the fats dripping on the coals stirred up ash and it ends up on your meats. I suspect since the grate on a PBC is closer to the charcoal ring it could be more prevalent, especially since the exhaust are the rod holes, when you pop that lid the ash is really gonna fly. Just sayin'.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #110
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Not to hijack, but when I used any of the "natural" hardwood briqs ( Rancher, Trader Joe's, Stubb's or Maple Leaf ) in my Big Drum Smoker clones, the fats dripping on the coals stirred up ash and it ends up on your meats. I suspect since the grate on a PBC is closer to the charcoal ring it could be more prevalent, especially since the exhaust are the rod holes, when you pop that lid the ash is really gonna fly. Just sayin'.
I've cooked on it several times and have never had this happen, but different strokes for different folks. I also have never used the grate and pretty much only pop the lid to pull the food.

In my experience lump leaves less ash not more, maybe it has to do with the intakes on your big drum? I will keep an eye out when I fire it up this weekend.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #111
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I'm gonna cut to the chase.

What size hole is the intake vent opening and what is the "factory setting?"

I got the rest figured out, the hard part will be scoring a open 30 gallon drum.
Just but a Pbc from Noah and throw out all the gear, weld the lid on and seal up the vent. Then you can build your own Pbc, lol :p
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #112
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

It's a 3" hole.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #113
swamprb

Quote:
I've cooked on it several times and have never had this happen, but different strokes for different folks. I also have never used the grate and pretty much only pop the lid to pull the food.

In my experience lump leaves less ash not more, maybe it has to do with the intakes on your big drum? I will keep an eye out when I fire it up this weekend.
Not talkin lump-

Natural briquettes!

Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #114
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigdog View Post
Why does nobody want to answer the question concerning fat on the coals? Lot's of people don't like this, is it better on the pbc vs the uds and why?
All depends on your tastes. I loved cooking indirect on my offset and still cook my competition ribs indirect on my Coleman bullet with a water pan. It keeps my recipe and rib taste consistent with what it was when cooked on my offset. On my UDS with no diffuser or pan, they do have a bit of a different flavor but not one that I don't like. It just depends on what you like. As far as it being better or worse on the PBC, its honestly the same. Again though, different tongues; different tastes. Some people may buy the PBC (or even a UDS) and hate it because of the fat drippings. Others will love it.

Quote:
I debated starting a new thread on this, but I'll try here first...

I know that Noah says that he presets the PBC for Kingsford Blue, but I don't have any and really don't want to buy any since I still have half a pallet of Rancher hardwood briquettes. Has anyone tried other briquettes besides Kingsford Blue?
I use Stubb's exclusively and have had great results in mine. Still stays in that 275-325.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #115
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Not talkin lump-

Natural briquettes!
Right you are. My reading skills have degraded with years of excess smoke and beer.

So a "natural" briquette will ash up the food while a Kingsford briquette will not? Any hypothesis as to why you get this result?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #116
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Hmmmm...

On of the advantages of a hardwood briquette over "regular" briquettes like Kingsford Blue is less ash, so I'm not sure why this would happen. I guess I'll find out Thanks for the caution.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #117
swamprb

Quote:
Hmmmm...

On of the advantages of a hardwood briquette over "regular" briquettes like Kingsford Blue is less ash, so I'm not sure why this would happen. I guess I'll find out Thanks for the caution.
Its been my experience that the natural briqs produce more ash than BBK and when extinguished they just just crumble to dust and cannot be reused. Naked Whiz also posted to the same conclusion. Just a heads up.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #118
Friscoag
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
This is my competition chicken cooker. I did my first ever IBCA contest last weekend and made final table with our pbc chicken half. I am hard at work on my KCBS thigh PBC modifications as we speak.
Did you wrap the wing in foil at any time? That's a good looking bird. I've got my eye on a PBC now on the side just for chicken.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #119
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friscoag View Post
Did you wrap the wing in foil at any time? That's a good looking bird. I've got my eye on a PBC now on the side just for chicken.
I did not, but now that I look at it the tip is a little dark. Cooking half chickens couldn't be easier. Probe your breast to 160 and the dark meat closer to the fire is around 170.

I need to figure out how to do kcbs thighs on this thing because the flavor is fantastic.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #120
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a Link to the Newest Video on Pit Barrel Cooker...it is Hot Wings on the Grate!!

Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
PBC, pit barrel, pit barrel cooker