MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Jambo hands down.. StickBurners Produce the best BBQ imho

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #32
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
This has been great, thank you for your feedback. Where I was landing was trying to decide between so e if the best products between the two types of cooking I was looking into, offset vs. pellet poopers.

I've had some PM's and I'm really interested now in Lonestar Grillz product. Anyone have any experience with their 20 or 24'' offset horizontal cookers?

Thank you for your input...
I don't have the Lonestar vertical, but I did just get the 24" vertical offset, and I am extremely pleased with the quality.... I would have no reservation recommending Lonestar to anyone considering a Klose, Jambo, Gator etc.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Good feedback, this thread has been invaluable. I'm landing with what I know how to do and that is stick burning.... I have a UDS but I just can't get away from offset cooking.

I actually PM'd Muscrat to see if he'd be in the business of making a pit for me for way cheaper and way quicker than Jambo. It basically resembled a jambo but with a single door. Would love to add a second set of shelves.

Still pretty interested in the price of the Lonestar Grillz offset cookers. As an upgrade, they can do a double insulated firebox. Just an FYI.

I'm not fond of the reverse flows. A lot of folks have told me those cookers are fuel monsters with having to pump in extra wood for heat to make around the deflector.

If I were going the route of a vertical, the Battle Box and Pitmaker Safe's look legit!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #34
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
I don't have the Lonestar vertical, but I did just get the 24" vertical offset, and I am extremely pleased with the quality.... I would have no reservation recommending Lonestar to anyone considering a Klose, Jambo, Gator etc.
Thanks for the recommendation! Do you find that you put in as much wood as a traditional offset or do you use less wood in your offset vertical? Looks pretty sweet from your picture.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #35
Muscrat
is one Smokin' Farker

PM sent!!!
Muscrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #36
shagnasty
Full Fledged Farker

I have a lonestargrillz vertical insulated smoker. I went there to pick it up and saw his offset cookers. I can tell you they are tanks. Super heavy duty and very well built. Plus Chris is a good guy. Id recommend at least giving them a closer look.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Guys I'm excited to say that I drove down and met up with Muscrat and am having a custom pit built by him! Will be posting pics in a new thread. Thanks all for your input! Especially SmittyJonz for mentioning the build by Muscrat!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #38
Kave Dweller
Take a breath!

my 2 cents is look at the peoria's. Being from IL (they are made in Peoria IL)we see a lot of them at comps and they are well built cookers.

Creators of "Reverse Shigging": When your competition wants to know what your doing so they know what doesn't work.
Kave Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #39
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Kave Dweller, I'm thinking you didn't read my last post:)

Old 11-15-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #41
SmittyJonz

Cool Beans! If my football pot numbers are good Ill be cooking on one myself soon.......

Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Congrats!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #43
TuscaloosaQ
Babbling Farker

jeffturnerjr You did good Muscrat builds A jam up looking cooker, I build em everyday and I know quality when I see it!!!! Congrats!!!!

Check out our website at ShirleyFabrication.com

Like our Facebook Page Facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication
TuscaloosaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #44
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
Thanks for feedback. I should have noted the time to get a jambo as a con as well.
If I got a jambo backyard, I def would want to try and make it more mobile, maybe front casters...

I had a friend steer me over to the pitmaker sniper models but know nothing about them, if people have any good reviews on them.
I have a Pitmaker Sniper and love it....

Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #45
SmittyJonz

So what style/size did you and Muscrat come up with?