MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
gw1500se
Found some matches.

Default KCBS Judges - Application Beta Testers Wanted

As a judge (particularly when I first started) I find it difficult to browse the KBCS events web pages, determine which ones are sufficiently close and then go to their websites to submit an application. In addition, if I am traveling, I like to see if there are any nearby events I might want to judge. Cook teams may also find this useful.

To solve this problem I developed a Java application that takes a "home" location, a maximum driving time or maximum driving distance from that location. The application then finds all KCBS scheduled competitions that meet the specified criteria and lists them with their estimated driving time and distance. It also includes the link to that competition's web site simplifying finding their application forms. I have included the capability of tracking events to which the user has applied and for which events the user has been confirmed.

I found my application sufficiently useful that I've decided to make it available to all KCBS members. However, before making it generally available, I am requesting a few beta testers. All that is necessary is that you use the application and provide feedback on any problems encountered and particularly any additional features/changes to improve it.

If you are interested, please PM me for download information. Thanks.
gw1500se is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

wow - that sounds awesome!

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I wrote something similar last year in C# WinForms app. I used AOL's "free" geocode and directions service (OpenStreetMap) so that I didn't have to show their map to use it. I'm just wondering if you used it too since all of the others that I found required that I show their maps and/or pay a fee. I found it very useful, and thought about making it a free service. The idea was to make it a website where a person could create an account, log search critera (time/distance, state championships, min payout), and get an initial list. Every day the app would check kcbs.us, update the list, and send out eMail announcements if a new comp showed up. One of the ideas was that my service would query the website once per day for all users.

In the end, I just ran out of steam. I had issues with the HTML rendering, turning it into a service like that required a lot of work, kcbs.us used horrible HTML (I would have preferred a web service), they stopped publishing purses and state championships, and then it looked like PickledPig already had a similar app that was in use. I used it a few months later to get KCBS comp results too. I spun in up a few weeks ago to do something with it, and I found that kcbs.us' HTML pattern had changed and was even less standard. The good side was that I changed it the other day to query a different website in a similar fassion. Anyway, I'm not trying to hijack, I think it's great that you've gone this far. I'm not a Java person, but if you ever wanna compare notes, drop me a line.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
RibnOneOff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

pm sent
RibnOneOff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
jketron
Full Fledged Farker

PM'd
Backwoods Party G2, WSM 18/22
Grill of His Dreams #1 Rule of BBQ... Have fun :razz:
jketron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Is it PC only or does it work on Mac?

Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I would be interested. I am a developer and could look at it from that angle.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I haven't tried the app in question, but the OP said it was Java which would lead me to believe that unless it includes calls to JNI, it should run on Mac, and linux too. C# apps can run on them through Mono, but not always as well.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
gw1500se
Found some matches.

Thanks to all that replied. I now have enough testers and I am hoping to make it generally available by February. While I have only tested it on Windows and Linux there is no reason to think it would not work on a Mac. All that is really required is a platform that is running Java JRE 7 or better. The only exception is mobile devices. I would not expect it to run on them but I hope to add that capability in the future.
gw1500se is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->