MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Default 2-3 oz Rub Samples at Competitions

Any of you guys ever put your rub in 2-3 ounce sample bags to hand out at competitions as a way to promote your rubs? We're thinking about doing it this season and looking for a place that we can send some rub to and have bag, seal and label some sample rub bags for us to hand out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM
Heath Hall is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

The rub company I use, they were looking into getting the company that makes the individual grated parmesan cheese and red pepper packs, that you get with Pizza take out, to make some of those with an ounce or so of rub in them.

I think I've seen Butt Rub in those too.
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
scm1226
is one Smokin' Farker

Put it over popcorn for those to taste it while they are walking by.
scm1226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

We never did rub samples, but in our soap business we handed out hand lotion samples. The easiest and cheapest way was to buy the heat seal-able foil pouches in bulk, squirt some lotion in each one, seal them with a cheap bag sealer and print labels on the inkjet.

By doing this we were always assured of the product being fresh and allowed us to vary the product by season or event.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Heath, I did it before. I actually used small rub bottles. My thought was if there is not enough rub to cook with, whats the point. I believe I used 6oz bottles. To be honest I never really followed up with selling my rub so I can say whether it worked or not. I can tell you that pretty much any organizer you call would be happy to get extra items for the team bags if they have them. Good Luck

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

I don't bother with the sample rubs in the little mustard / ketchup sized pouches, I just toss em since there isn't enough in them do even do 1 pork chop. Like Matt said if there isn't enough to cook with and evaluate why bother.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I don't bother with the sample rubs in the little mustard / ketchup sized pouches, I just toss em since there isn't enough in them do even do 1 pork chop. Like Matt said if there isn't enough to cook with and evaluate why bother.
Agree on comments about little packets. Our foil pouches were 3 oz. that much rub may do a couple of slabs of ribs.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

The cost is prohibitive. It takes just as much time to pack and label those as it does a 1lb bag. That said if you get a place that does it cheap, please let me know.

Not sure I agree with the reasoning behind NOT doing the small sample packs. 1 or 2 oz of liquor isn't enough to get me drunk but I'll still drink those mini bottles......

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
rexbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Couldn't agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
The cost is prohibitive. It takes just as much time to pack and label those as it does a 1lb bag. That said if you get a place that does it cheap, please let me know.

Not sure I agree with the reasoning behind NOT doing the small sample packs. 1 or 2 oz of liquor isn't enough to get me drunk but I'll still drink those mini bottles......

Rex's Red Hot BBQ
[url]http://www.savoryreviews.com[/url]

KCBS & MABA Member
[B]Black Thermapen[/B] and Backup [B]Blue Thermapen[/B]!
BBQ Guru Shotgun Smoker, Traeger Lil Tex, Traeger Texas, Weber Performer, Weber OTS (X3), Weber Spirit (gasser)
rexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Hot Wachulas
On the road to being a farker

Just get some small ziploc bags from uline. print out some inkjet labels on label paper from staples and your good to go. Make sure your mailing address and ph# are on the labels and and something like sample only, not for resale.
Otherwise you have to do serious volume for it to be cost effective.
Hot Wachulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #11
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

Dan - I love your justification here! Couldn't agree more!! I'll let you know if I find someone that can do it at an affordable rate!

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Heath Hall
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm looking for something more professional than a ziplock bag. We get asked all the time for product for gift bags, donations, at food shows, etc... and I want something that would also work for these times.

Lang 60
Lang 84
WSM

Old 12-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Talk to Jimmy from Everglades Seasoning. They (ES not Jimmy) used to have small samples of their seasonings to hand out. Not sure if any of them would help "competition" but it wouldn't hurt to ask:)

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
bdodd444
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

I'm no marketing wiz, but I imagine a dozen or so GC's in a season leads to a pretty decent boost in rub sales...
bdodd444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #15
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have done three batches of 2oz samples whilst getting started for approximately $1.25 per. The cost adds up fast, and I am not sure folks at comps feel that a sample is enough to make a decision.
However, I did see a return on my investment, when I would put samples in the mail orders for new customers when they bought our rubs. I would place samples of not purchased rubs in the shipment.