Pork Belly Pastrami

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was planning making some beef rib and beef cheek pastrami and while getting the meat out of the freezer I came across small piece of pork belly and figured might as well throw that into the mix as well.

Made a brine of water, brown sugar, sea salt, cure #1, coriander seed, mustard seed, black pepper, fennel seed, cinnamon, crushed red pepper, clove, and bay leaf.

u4wi4Nk.jpg

Brought all that to a boil and cooled it back down. Just showing the belly for the sake of the post.

DwWwgwl.jpg

Left that in the brine for a week, then rinsed, hit it with a coat of brown sugar, salt, black pepper, coriander, garlic, juniper berries, crushed red pepper.

754cAPh.jpg

Into the smoker @275 with cherry for the smoke until 195 IT. Cooled it back down and left it in the fridge over night.

ipFRgQi.jpg

Quick slice job.

CUzo086.jpg

As luck would have it, my wife made a sourdough loaf that morning. :becky:

vjnS9TG.jpg

Put some slices in a skillet to warm them and get a little color going, then piled on the bread.

uJVqAAT.jpg

A slice of swiss.

k7zlyMO.jpg

Time to eat.

w0JJgq0.jpg

It was amazingly good. I was quite surprised and I already have plans to do it again with a better/thicker piece of belly.

Well executed Sir.

And kudos to your bride on a beautiful sourdough.

Great photo's to go along with a sandwich anyone would be proud of.

Excellent cook and post. Thanks

I've been meaning to get off my butt and do this since I corn brisket a decent amount. This looks so damn good!

Oh lordy that looks incredible and that homemade sourdough makes me a happy boy.

Fresh bread, melted cheese, and pork belly pastrami become a work of culinary art. Dang that looks excellent.

Perfect timing for the pork belly TD.

Very nice sandwich! Does it taste like bacon? That's what it looks like to me!

That may be the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Truly epic. :clap2:

Now I have no choice but to start learning charcuterie. :-D

Good Lord I want some right now!

Nicely done my Man!

I should have some going down today after a week in the brine. Super excited.

Back