Anyone here ?

That is a really fancy looking rig! It looks pretty cool so thanks for sharing. One of these days I need to get a brick oven to increase the fun of my bread addiction. I have to say addiction because I tried to quit recently to help with weight loss and I couldn't throw out my sourdough starter to do it...I have to make bread!!!

I went down the brick oven rabbit hole for a bit and decided it wasn’t a good fit with the time involved. I’ll admit it is a romantic idea but the build time and and the time it takes to fire slowly and then the cool down it just wouldn’t be a good fit. I’m pretty sure there is a brick oven in my future but it’ll be a project held off for retirement :becky:

Then one day I was flipping on Instagram and BAM!!! There’s the Dome! It checks the boxes of a wood fired oven for me. I know the price is high or seemingly high but if you take into account the materials for a brick oven then if you figure your time at just $10 an hour, it makes the dome reasonable…

Thanks for the feedback!

Post some pics of your cooks sometime if you don’t mind.

Finally got a chance to fire it up again, weeknight pizza :clap2:

KJfINwkl.jpg

bIxYnz8l.jpg

I have some wood cut down to size ready to go but the propane is more convenient for just one pizza.

SWEET!!!

What’d ya think of it?

At $1799.00 and at $20 for restaurant pizza that would be 899 pizzas for payback.
I'm pretty sure even I could not eat 900 pizzas.
Ed

At $1799.00 and at $20 for restaurant pizza that would be 899 pizzas for payback.
Ed

You mean 90.....could you eat 90 before the lunar dome craps out?

Lets see, one pizza a week for 2 years is 104 pizzas. At $20. a restaurant pizza it starts paying for itself before 2 years if you don't figure in your ingredient cost.

And, you get to claim all the credit for a great tasting pizza! (maybe)

Ed

1 check yer math

2 don’t buy it

3 Good

:becky:

SWEET!!!

What’d ya think of it?

We liked it but the bar is pretty low for us :-D I used a thin crust pizza dough recipe I got a long time ago from pizza making forum.

As I mentioned before, the heat up time is longer than a BS oven for example and it seems I always jump the gun before it's ready, even though I temp the stone. I am getting better at spinning the pizza manually, actually kind of fun but one does have to pay attention.

A benefit is I can use it easily for other things - we've done sea bass, 'chicken under a brick', brussel sprouts etc. Fun for get togethers.

Ed

My financial planner said cashing in my 401k to fund the dome was a good idea.

Now that I think about it, it does seem weird he told me he likes Chicago style over Neapolitan :doh:

$1799?

That's a month's worth of diesel here.:-D Just like feeling up the tank for a month. Not too bad. :heh:

At least the diesel gets you around town - I don't even like pizza :icon_blush:

#dontjudgeabookbyitscover

I’ve watched the first one, he is entertaining!

I'm playing with the roccbox some more this weekend. Roccbox is a good indication that the Dome is legit because I'm really impressed with little brother.

I'm playing with the roccbox some more this weekend. Roccbox is a good indication that the Dome is legit because I'm really impressed with little brother.

Post yer cooks or it didn’t happen…

Noooo stop the haters l!

I didn’t say

#picsoritdidnthappen

:becky:

A few things:

I have been able to get the pizza stone to >800 (maybe 900F, can't exactly remember) with an IR gun using propane. It did take almost an hour.

Was able to cook 5-6 pizzas somewhat back to back without any issue. We only have 1 pizza maker in the house so there was some delay to launch

It is hotter next to the heat source as expected, for how we cook maybe 550 near the flame, 460 away

Heat retention is pretty good, several hours after the gathering it was ~300F. I can foresee using it for baking once the door comes out.

Cleaning so far is OK - a high heat burn makes it look nice and erase remnants of failed launches. Replacing the stone could be an issue as I can't see a way to remove it. Other than that I can't really see any failure points, not like there's a bunch of moving parts.

Kornd4wg - you are always ahead of me on these purchases :-D. Have you tried burning wood yet? Can you burn wood and gas at same time?

I am surprised they haven't released the door yet to retain more heat. I recall them having a lot of supply chain issues.

Holy cow! you can build a outdoor brick oven for that price!

Kornd4wg - you are always ahead of me on these purchases :-D. Have you tried burning wood yet? Can you burn wood and gas at same time?

I am surprised they haven't released the door yet to retain more heat. I recall them having a lot of supply chain issues.

Yes I have used wood and as far as I can tell it works fine - if I recall I made chicken under a brick that way. Size wise I cut my smoking splits in half in both directions, fun to see the rolling flames.

I heat up the stone with propane and then switch to wood for the cook - doing that requires changing out the covers and therefore not something they would put in the owners manual :wink: I’ve seen some folks use propane and wood simultaneously but I thought I read something about ash getting into the burner so not doing that for now.

Re the door I heard it’ll ship this month, same with the ash tray that it was originally meant to ship with :doh:

Holy cow! you can build a outdoor brick oven for that price!

Well for me that’s basically what this is, albeit on a smaller scale; our deck space is limited so the fact I can move it around is a plus. We also think it looks pretty nice.

The price isn’t trivial but when I looked around for similar pizza ovens it was in the same ballpark, and those didn’t have the gas option.

Back