MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states

ATLANTA - An outbreak of salmonella food poisoning first linked to uncooked tomatoes has now been reported in nine states, U.S health officials said Tuesday.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24951023/

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Will it ever end?

THanks for sharing this news Mike.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Don;t know if this has anything to do with this but late last night I went to Walmart after work and picked up a couple tomatoes. The checker told me she was not going to be able to ring up the tomatoes and she did not know why but every time she tried it would not work and this had been going on all night. I told her about the salmonella and tomatoes but she did not know anything about that. I live in Mo. but it is not on the list and wonder if Walmart has issued a blanket freeze on tomatoes in all its stores like it did peanut butter awhile back.
Dave

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was at my local gas station/convenience store yesterday and the clerk got the call that they could not sell sandwiches for a while! They have a 'Blimpie' franchise built in, and I guess the decision was made to stop selling sandwiches completely, rather than just selling them without tomatoes? I stood there while the guy asked multiple times..... He had to be talking to somebody that didn't have a clue? Right?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I was at my local gas station/convenience store yesterday and the clerk got the call that they could not sell sandwiches for a while! They have a 'Blimpie' franchise built in, and I guess the decision was made to stop selling sandwiches completely, rather than just selling them without tomatoes? I stood there while the guy asked multiple times..... He had to be talking to somebody that didn't have a clue? Right?
That sounds like topical corporate at work, lets throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Dave

Old 06-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #6
Pitbull
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
Don;t know if this has anything to do with this but late last night I went to Walmart after work and picked up a couple tomatoes. The checker told me she was not going to be able to ring up the tomatoes and she did not know why but every time she tried it would not work and this had been going on all night. I told her about the salmonella and tomatoes but she did not know anything about that. I live in Mo. but it is not on the list and wonder if Walmart has issued a blanket freeze on tomatoes in all its stores like it did peanut butter awhile back.
Dave

This doesn't involve all tomatos. I was at Wal-mart at lunch and all the tomatos were pulled of of the produce shelf except the round, cherry and ones attached to the vine.

Lyfe Tyme 20
Old Country Trailer Pit W/Upright
Smokey Mountain-Webber Kettle
Kamado-Campfire-Rocket Stove

I take nothing for granted. I now only have good days and great days.
Pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Front page of paper today was confirmed cases of salmonella here locally in wichita falls, I tossed out what tomatoes i had here at the house and will wait for it to clear before we buy any more.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Tomatoes now. WTF

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Smokin J
Full Fledged Farker

Thats why you got to grow your own. You only get fresh tomatoes for a few months out of the year, depending on where you live, but its worth it. And there's a bonus......No diseases!
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG #84 W/ DELUX WARMER
MC PR-60 PIG ROASTER
MC PR-72 PIG ROASTER
CGL-60 MagiCater Charcoal Grill
Smokin J is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
Al
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Albert

Tomatoes have been pulled here in Iowa as well. I have been to two Wal-Marts. One in Oskaloosa and one in Grinnell, and neither one has Tomatoes. Instead they have signs apologizing for not having tomatoes due to a recall. They did not say what the recall was for. So I am guessing that this is the reason why.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
MRI_Guy
Take a breath!

Firstly - I hope that all brethren and their families are OK.

Secondly - I have always believed that tomatoes were the devil's fruit. Especially after Crazy Lucy made me eat them has a child.......

1 - WSM, 1 - ECB, 1 - Char Broil Performance Series Grill on Deck, 1 - 18.5" Weber Kettle, 1 - Propane grill/mini-fridge combo, 2 - Propane Turkey Cookers, 1 - Football Grill, 1 - Rectangular Wal-Mart Special, 1 - Terra Cotta Pig I'm going to call Marvin, & one superfast RED Thermapen
MRI_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Sawdustguy

I talked the proprietor of our local Pizza Place has said he tossed all of their commercially purchased tomato products and has made a purchase from a local grower. It looks like Mama will be making fresh Marinara Suace.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote