I’m afraid to do brisket

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 22” Weber kettle with the slow-n-sear accessory. I want to do a full brisket using Kingsford original along with some cherry wood I have for smoke……but I’m really nervous about ruining it. The videos on YouTube make it look easy, but I’m sure there is more too it than what is shown on there. Is it really that easy?

Find it actually easier than doing one on my offset

Done with both the slow and sear and the snake method - once you get the temp dialed in it should run at that temp using either method for about 6-8 hours

Buy a flat to start with. Rub it, cook it, take your time.

Gotta put it out there for a start. Just put some love into it. :-D

Only one way to find out. Ruining a brisket isn’t that big of deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give it a try! I made a 17lb brisket in my 22” Weber performer last year and it came out excellent. I made that one in a pinch, and would make one in the 10-12lb range next time. I used a 2 wide 2 high snake using Kingsford charcoal with post oak chunks, with all vents wide open.

Here is a link to the cook thread. https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295894

Man, I get it. While they aren’t as fool proof as a butt, they aren’t super cosmic. These days cooking a $70 piece of meat will give anyone pause.

Trim it, coat with white lightning and S&P, smoke till 170. Wrap. Cook till 203. Rest in cooler for an hour, slice and bask in the glory of your greatness.

That’s the thing…food isn’t cheap these days and ruining a whole brisket is a big loss to me.

Man, I get it. While they aren’t as fool proof as a butt, they aren’t super cosmic. These days cooking a $70 piece of meat will give anyone pause.

Trim it, coat with white lightning and S&P, smoke till 170. Wrap. Cook till 203. Rest in cooler for an hour, slice and bask in the glory of your greatness.

Just do it ;)
What can really go wrong?
Undercooked? Cook longer next time, slice, sear on the grill
Overcooked? Not very likely, but cut up and make a stew out of it.
It's a piece of meat that needs to be cooked slowly to get it tender, but you'll be fine :)

I've found the biggest hurdle to doing anything is just stop thinking about doing it and just do it.

A good brisket is not hard to pull off. (a perfect in every way, would stand in line for hours to eat it brisket is a bit more difficult- but not by much)

Biggest thing? Don't overthink it- and have fun.

Keyguy, you can do it. Ive done a ton of briskets. It’s my favorite to smoke, but there a few tips I can give.
1. Every brisket is different, but they are all done when they are done. In other words, don’t listen to anyone who tells you to cook for a certain time per pound, or anything time related.
2. Don’t go by a thermometer. Briskets can be done at any temperature they “want.” It’s usually done 190-220 internal. Because they varying range of temperatures, going with a temperature pre-decided can mess it up.
3. To determine when it’s time to pull off smoker, use a thin probe. I use my thermometer probe or an ice pick. Insert the probe in 3-4 places across the brisket. It’s ready when the probe goes in “like butter.” Pull it, wrap in foil or butcher paper, and place in a dry cooker rest. Make sure the cooler is full- the meat probably. won’t fill the cooler to capacity, so fill it with waded newspapers, towels, or basically anything to fill the cooler. Let it rest for at least an hour.
4. The most common mistake I see people make is pulling it off too early. Don’t go by time or temperature. I know I’m repeating myself, but it’s important.
5. Many cooks like to wrap the brisket during the stall. The stall happened around the temperature of 165-175 (or so). That’s when the internal temp says the same for a long time. I think it’s easier for newbies. If you wrap, use foil or the red/brown butcher paper.
6. Don’t promise anyone that you can eat at a certain time, UNLESS you give a time later than you expect. A wrapped brisket in a cooler will stay hot for a long time.
7. This is important: relax and have fun. You got this! If you have questions on cook day, the Brethren are always here for you.

Enjoy your brisket.

With a snake method or the Slow-n-Sear, monitor your temp and do not lift the lid every 15 minutes to look at it. Old adage, "if your lookin', you ain't cookin'" applies here and it only increase your cooking time and most likely will mess with you temp control. Once you get your cooking temp dialed in, then you are good to go for 6-8 hours. If you desire to wrap to finish, you can move to the oven because at that point heat is heat and it doesn't matter what equipment provides it. Some folks wrap by color, some by internal temp and I recommend wrapping at 165.

Realize that your temperature may climb as the cook goes on and that is OK. One simple piece of advice for barbecue is to "know your cooker". If you are worried about ruining the brisket, and yes they are high in price these days, start with something less costly as you practice trying to dial in temp control on the kettle. I suggest chicken thighs to begin with or pork steaks. You don't have to cook the whole package to begin with. Cook just a couple at a time as you go through 6-8 hour of cooking time. Once you have a good idea how the kettle temp controls work, then try a pork butt. I recommend lid vent over the meat, opposite the fire.

Eventually you will have temp control down and you will be ready to graduate to a brisket and cook with confidence with you newly learned skill of temp control on your kettle.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Robert

Fear not young fella !!!!!
It’s meat meets heat,,,,
Big thing is pay attention to ur temperature to be sure it’s in an acceptable range.
Then if you start losing heat you always have the oven to finish it off.
I bet you will have no problem,,,

You could practice a time or two with a chuck roast to get the feel for how things will go. Then the brisket won't seem quite so intimidating.

You could practice a time or two with a chuck roast to get the feel for how things will go. Then the brisket won't seem quite so intimidating.

I've done this on ever new cooker I get before trying a brisket. I will also use a chuck to try different flavor rubs.

You can absolutely do it, I do them on a kettle all the time, in fact I’m doing one right now. With the Slow N Sear you’ll have no issues, let the kettle settle in at 225-275 & just go with it. The two biggest things as mentioned above are that you’re better off to pull it off later than sooner, it takes more than you think to overcook a brisket & it’s better if it’s a little over cooked than under. Also as mentioned above give it plenty of time to rest, a minimum of an hour, two hours or longer is better. If you happen to pull it earlier than you should then the longer the hold the better, maybe put it in the oven at 170 so it can continue to cook a little if necessary. Don’t sweat it, you can do it!

I was never afraid to cook a brisket, but some shorter cooks - chucks and a few butts might give you a greater level of confidence with that kettle. Nothing wrong with being cautious about an expensive piece of meat.

I was never afraid to cook a brisket, but some shorter cooks - chucks and a few butts might give you a greater level of confidence with that kettle. Nothing wrong with being cautious about an expensive piece of meat.

Ditto. Cooking should be fun, not stressful. Get to know how your kettle cooks on cheaper cuts first.

I had the same fear for a long time because I knew if I ruined a $70 piece of meat I wouldn't sleep for a week. IMO, treat it just like a boston butt and you cant really go wrong. But it does kill me when I trim it up pre cook and have 40% in wasted fat that has to be thrown away.

Here is my set up on a Weber. I build a wall with smoking wood, then put lump on one side.
I do have to refill half way through, but it works for me.
87500313fab202fc9801eb848cff2f77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Back