I know this has been beat to death, but…

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
What do you prefer lump over briquets or briquets over lump? Inquiring minds want to know.

Depends which cooker…in the Primo it’s 100% lump, in my Webers I’ll often use briquettes, particularly if the rotisserie is involved. I’ll occasionally use briquettes in my drum, but only high quality ones like Jealous Devil or Weber.

Last edited:
I use big block lump for smoking and regular lump for grilling

I really loved the Weber briquettes and used them most of the time, but since they are no longer available, lump all the way.

Rarely if ever use briquettes. Royal Oak lump has been my longtime go-to for charcoal cooking. Switched to FOGO black bag a few years back and loved it. Price increase during the pandemic pushed me back to Royal Oak lump. Although RO is not my absolute favorite... the price is right and it gets the job done :)

Since I got my Big Joe and KJ Classic all I have used is lump. Royal Oak because it is plentiful around here and $12.99 a bag or less on sale. Haven’t really thought about briquets since then. Just didn’t know if I was missing anything.

Briquettes, always.

I smoke with wood, I have no need for burnt wood chunks (aka lump).

I've been using whatever cheap briqs I can find for both grilling and building a bed to start my splits in the offset.

However, this weekend I am venturing into the premium world and bought a bag of B+B competition char logs. We'll see how it goes.

Have tried lump several times, keep going back to briqs.

Whatever is cheapest. Lately thats store brand briquets ... If it gets hot, its good enough..

Now that hardwood charcoal is made in briquettes, i.e. Royal Oak, I do all briquettes. More even burn.

Back