MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default Looking for Pellet Pooper $500-$700 price range

Alright.. so I am thinking about jumping on the pellet grill wagon.. Thing is I can barely afford this thing at $500-$700 range.. But after looking at a pitboss 700s it looks like the right size for me.. all I care about is if i can fit a brisket on the thing. everything else has plenty of room.

So like above.. is it worth it? is there better options online? no way I can pay more than $600-$700 for a pellet pooper.

Last edited by blazinfire; 02-05-2020 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: changed topic/title
blazinfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Now that I'm able to look online... I was looking at the 700s from cabela's.. which is always stupid expensive..

Found this at lowes https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I guess either way.. how about we just make this into a "Point me in the right direction of a $500-$700 pellet pooper that's worth that price". my requirements are has to at least fit a brisket! I've learned its never a good idea to ask you guys to spend money! Always gets a feller into trouble... But you guys are pretty darn good at it lol

Last edited by blazinfire; 02-05-2020 at 05:15 PM..

Old 02-05-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default Looking for Pellet Pooper $500-$700 price range

If I was in your shoes, the Pit Boss would be at the top of my list. I have seen them in person and they seem to be solid units and a great bang for your buck. I know several guys that have them and they all seem to really like them.

And please consider this an early welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :-)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

In that price range, I'd look at the Camp Chef. They are great value for the money.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #5
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
If I was in your shoes, the Pit Boss would be at the top of my list. I have seen them in person and they seem to be solid units and a great bang for your buck. I know several guys that have them and they all seem to really like them.

And please consider this an early welcome to the wonderful world of pellet cooking :-)

The pitboss I linked from lowes? or the pitboss 700s? the pitboss 700s is on sale for $599 at cabela's.. and it looks like $550 is lowest online.

then.. My biggest question.. whats the cooking surface area i'm looking for 700 enough? if you guys have links i'll welcome it. wouldn't mine just clicking a link and clicking buy LOL.. just saying I know nothing about pellet cookers.. Probably won't do much research. right now kinda set on the pitboss But there seems to be different versions lol

Last edited by blazinfire; 02-05-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
ryno62
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Ryno

Menards has 11% rebates on everything right now and have most of the Pit Boss lineup. Or if you want to go more expensive, you can get a Menards card and charge it for zero interest if you pay it off in 6 months..
ryno62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
In that price range, I'd look at the Camp Chef. They are great value for the money.

That is the other brand I would be looking at… Camp Chef :-)

Old 02-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #8
rwalters

You’ll easily be able to fit 1 large brisket in the model you linked us to. Not sure about the dome height and if you’d be able to fit a second with an upper grate... but 1 big brisket, no problem.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:24 PM   #9
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I was gonna recommend a Pellet Pro but they don't make the small version anymore. Heck I'd sell you my Pitboss Copperhead for the $109 or whatever I paid for it. It's only been used a half dozen times. Only bought it because everyone else got me worked up over the clearance price. Looks like you're too far away though. I don't know if the price below is available in your area but it's less than $700 and it'll definitely fit a brisket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
That is the other brand I would be looking at… Camp Chef :-)
FWIW, the ‘Sous Vide Everything’ YouTube channel uses a Camp Chef. No personal experience though.
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

It's looking like the pitboss I linked above... For $500 that seems like a great deal. It will be next month when I purchase.. so maybe I will do a little research.. would like more opinions here too.. I wish these pellet smokers had a larger top grate.. but i guess its done by design

Old 02-05-2020, 06:46 PM   #12
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I have had a Austin LX for almost 2 years,, lowes sells it as a 1100 and has a front shelf somewhere in the $550 area, it has been great , they now come with a 5 year warranty

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #13
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
I have had a Austin LX for almost 2 years,, lowes sells it as a 1100 and has a front shelf somewhere in the $550 area, it has been great , they now come with a 5 year warranty

yeah right now.. i have my eye's on a 1100.. I'm just wondering if its Too big.. not sure if i have storage for it or not.. TBH I was just looking for a pellet cooker to replace the WSM.. I'm just still not a fan of using it, and I need a cooker for my smaller cooks. one brisket, 1-2 pork butts, couple racks of ribs.. if i wanna cook a ton of food I would just fire up my offset.

Old 02-06-2020, 04:23 AM   #14
lionhrt
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the pit boss 1100 and I am impressed with it. I live in Washington and last week even thought it was almost freezing I did a rack of beef ribs and it held temp the whole time and cooks evenly. I would Highly recommend the Pit boss smokers. The 1100 is great for larger cooks of a feel briskets or butts and still have room on the upper rack for more but not so big that smaller cooks it is overly big.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:24 AM   #15
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only PG I have experience with is the GMG Daniel Boone and have been very pleased with it! We’ve cooked on it a lot and only had one issue, had to replace the combustion fan which was no biggie.

I’d say you can go wrong with a Green Mountain Grill or a Pit Boss.

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote