MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2022, 08:09 AM   #16
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsonicsmith View Post
I don't for multiple reasons. First, there are many here who have broader experience with various pit fabricators than I have. Second, it is so personal. I am simply suggesting you take some additional things into account and there are more that I should have mentioned. For example-how easy is the pit to clean-does it have a well thought out system for removing the sludge that won't drain with the ball-cock valve (assuming of course it has at least the drain valve). Personally, any smoker that relies on a sloping plate inside the cook chamber does not appeal to me. Too much of a headache to clean. But that is just me.
You mentioned keeping your smoker inside when not in use. I don't know how far you will have to go from the inside storage to your cooking area but that process will get old in a hurry unless you are talking about something like pulling your smoker from inside your garage to your driveway. And then, if that is what you are thinking, you by necessity become a "driveway cooker". This is individual preference but I enjoy cooking in my backyard, not in my driveway. Point being-you will want larger, pneumatic tires. My set-up is below.
Very nice set-up you have there. Quick question....how long have you had that tv up there exposed somewhat to the elements? Any problems with dampness or cold/hot temps? I always thought you had to build a box for outdoor tvs. Thanks.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2022, 08:57 AM   #17
gmcole
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsonicsmith View Post
I don't for multiple reasons. First, there are many here who have broader experience with various pit fabricators than I have. Second, it is so personal. I am simply suggesting you take some additional things into account and there are more that I should have mentioned. For example-how easy is the pit to clean-does it have a well thought out system for removing the sludge that won't drain with the ball-cock valve (assuming of course it has at least the drain valve). Personally, any smoker that relies on a sloping plate inside the cook chamber does not appeal to me. Too much of a headache to clean. But that is just me.
You mentioned keeping your smoker inside when not in use. I don't know how far you will have to go from the inside storage to your cooking area but that process will get old in a hurry unless you are talking about something like pulling your smoker from inside your garage to your driveway. And then, if that is what you are thinking, you by necessity become a "driveway cooker". This is individual preference but I enjoy cooking in my backyard, not in my driveway. Point being-you will want larger, pneumatic tires. My set-up is below.
Nice set up! I live on the water and have a walk out basement with a large patio. I have a one car garage off the patio. So I will wheel it inside the backyard garage when not in use. My wife likes the backyard tidy and for some reason, she doesn't think 3 cookers look tidy.
gmcole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2022, 09:42 AM   #18
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcole View Post
For what reason(s) would you choose the ASW over the others. if you don’t mind be asking?
Longer cook chamber and that's the only major reason. IIRC , the ASW has a 60" cook chamber. I think longer, the better. But there's nothing wrong with my Franklin. And also IIRC, the pricing was about the same.

Both Franklin and ASW are designed by someone who smokes barbecue and builds smokers. Not a welder who builds smokers and occasionally smokes meats.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #19
gmcole
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

After talking to 2 brethren with them, I ended up ordering a Harper Pit Works 120 with the Golf Cart Wheel Package. Thanks for everyone's input !!!

Now I wait.....
gmcole is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-27-2022, 01:34 PM   #20
Jmgunn
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcole View Post
After talking to 2 brethren with them, I ended up ordering a Harper Pit Works 120 with the Golf Cart Wheel Package. Thanks for everyone's input !!!

Now I wait.....
Nice!! What’s the lead time! Keep us posted when you get it

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #21
Fsonicsmith
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooball View Post
Very nice set-up you have there. Quick question....how long have you had that tv up there exposed somewhat to the elements? Any problems with dampness or cold/hot temps? I always thought you had to build a box for outdoor tvs. Thanks.
It has been up for a year +. The TV is an outdoor TV, Skyvue, and comes enclosed in an outer casing with operating temps of something like 20 below to 120 above FH. The way it is situated, it does not get wet even in sideways rain. I have it set up wireless since it's a smart TV. FWIW, I also have a stereo amp and KEF outdoor speakers that sound amazingly good when I stream Qobuz via my phone, iPad, or MBPro for outdoor parties. And sorry to brag, but it has six outlets, a ceiling fan, and gutters with downspout. I installed neon string lighting all along the inside perimeter where the rafters meet the eaves. The landscaping company that put it in first installed six foot deep and 24" diameter cement footers so the Pavilion isn't moving down, up, or sideways.
Fsonicsmith is offline   Reply With Quote