Shirley Fabrication 24x42" quick walkaround

You're right - Paul did infer that. But many who have had the original flat tray style and upgraded seem to have a different opinion.

I have a standard fire basket in my patio. It works great, I can keep a clean fire no problem. It does mean I have to be more careful placing the splits and use the fire poker occasionally to clean up the pile, make sure there is adequate airflow etc.

In my next build I will try the V basket. Not necessary, but I think it will be an upgrade. will keep the fire from collapsing and spreading itself too thin. I am usually working with a small fire to keep the temps low enough.

I have a standard fire basket in my patio. It works great, I can keep a clean fire no problem. It does mean I have to be more careful placing the splits and use the fire poker occasionally to clean up the pile, make sure there is adequate airflow etc.

In my next build I will try the V basket. Not necessary, but I think it will be an upgrade. will keep the fire from collapsing and spreading itself too thin. I am usually working with a small fire to keep the temps low enough.

Seems to me to be the best of both worlds. It acts as you described keeping the coal bed tighter similar to a traditional pipe firebox - but also has the added advantage of airflow on all sides. I have no basis of comparison, but I can attest to the fact that keeping a tight coal bed is easy as pie. Just keep adding sticks on the opposite diagonal. I really like it.

Beautiful pit! Very similar to my dream Shirley if I were to ever get one. Love the detachable tongue to turn it into a quasi patio model.

Yes, the detachable tongue is handy - and serves as a bit of a theft deterrent. I'm adding a wheel lock this weekend to make things more challenging to would-be thieves.

Beautiful looking pit,,,,
I have the 24x36 JR. Model and luv it,,,, as do all my friends and family !!!!

Saw that the 24x36 prices will be increasing when Tyler starts to take orders again. Steel prices affecting everybody.

Looked at the shipping documents and the weight of this little girl is 2,300 lbs. More than I expected. That ¾" firebox...

Can you comment on the stability of the cooker when resting on the adjustable jack, and the trailers mobility?

Do you have a dolly to move the cooker without having to hitch it to a vehicle? How does it balance? Approximate tongue weight? Any stability issues with a trailer this short/narrow?

I am planning to build one almost exactly like this. I love how compact it is. I would like to be able to roll it around my driveway though without having to hitch it up so curious about how mobile it is at 2,300 lbs.

Can you comment on the stability of the cooker when resting on the adjustable jack, and the trailers mobility?

Do you have a dolly to move the cooker without having to hitch it to a vehicle? How does it balance? Approximate tongue weight? Any stability issues with a trailer this short/narrow?

I am planning to build one almost exactly like this. I love how compact it is. I would like to be able to roll it around my driveway though without having to hitch it up so curious about how mobile it is at 2,300 lbs.

I sure can. It is as solid as a rock and follows my 4Runner around like a dream. No problem at all. I'm not sure about the tongue weight - but it wouldn't be light.

I had Tyler Shirley build a hitch dolly and that is the bee's knees. My wife can pull it around my shop without a problem. I tend to have a difficult time trying to back up short trailers - so I dont even try. I drop it off and pull in into my shop, or into my overhang with the trailer dolly.

I'm getting a number of PMs on how much this cooker cost. Remember that this was ordered a couple of years back - before the big steel pricing increases. Each cooker is an individual order with specific options each costing a set amount. Tyler offers no discounts - doesn't need to because people are in a long line waiting to get one. So just price out the options on the current price list and you'll have the total price. It's not helpful to the Shirley's to post pricing that is a couple of years old. Hopefully everyone understands.

Is this size to big to fire up for a small cook for the family. Just one pork butt or two racks of ribs or one brisket?

Is this size to big to fire up for a small cook for the family. Just one pork butt or two racks of ribs or one brisket?

Not at all. At least in my opinion. If you use the baffle and close off the warmer, then you have a cooking chamber that is only 6" wider than the smallest Shirley. To me, its great for little cooks, and great to feed an army (which I am doing this weekend.)

I'm getting a number of PMs on how much this cooker cost. Remember that this was ordered a couple of years back - before the big steel pricing increases. Each cooker is an individual order with specific options each costing a set amount. Tyler offers no discounts - doesn't need to because people are in a long line waiting to get one. So just price out the options on the current price list and you'll have the total price. It's not helpful to the Shirley's to post pricing that is a couple of years old. Hopefully everyone understands.

You ordered it a couple years ago, but you pay the current steel prices when they start your build, right? I also ordered mine ~2 years ago but I'm paying today's steel prices.

Back