Money Muscle Turn-In Question

ChuckD

Reaction score
When turning in money muscle, do you include the end slice?

I have typically fanned the slices open a little and set in the box from one corner to another with chunks on one side and pulled on the other, but have left the end cut of money muscle off. I have been thinking if the color/bark on it were right, it may look better than the open cut of meat. Is anyone already doing this or have any thoughts?

I got all 9s with this setup
723df0cd8298f0b76e9589efefad9d39.jpg

When turning in money muscle, do you include the end slice?

I have typically fanned the slices open a little and set in the box from one corner to another with chunks on one side and pulled on the other, but have left the end cut of money muscle off. I have been thinking if the color/bark on it were right, it may look better than the open cut of meat. Is anyone already doing this or have any thoughts?

Worry less about how it looks and more about how it tastes. Is that end piece the one you want the judges to eat? (You don’t)

We don't turn in the end pieces because they usually aren't our best portions.

Me, I would not turn in the end pieces. Those are for the team to eat and taste to see if the MM is good enough to be included in the box. You are judged by what is in the box.

Admitteldly I do not do competitions...so take this for what it's worth.

Put yourself at the judge's table...picture yourself as every judge sitting there. As the first judge, pick your piece(s) to try. Then as the second judge, pick your piece. Third, pick your piece. Etc.

If one judge gets an end piece (burn end of sorts), then the next four get a sliced piece, then another one gets an end...etc...they are not tasting a uniform profile. You are being judged on different meat, and not the same meat.

As an uninitiated non-competition cook, I would say be as uniform as possible...and leave the end pieces out of the box.

Put yourself at the judge's table...picture yourself as every judge sitting there. As the first judge, pick your piece(s) to try. Then as the second judge, pick your piece. Third, pick your piece. Etc.

If one judge gets an end piece (burn end of sorts), then the next four get a sliced piece, then another one gets an end...etc...they are not tasting a uniform profile. You are being judged on different meat, and not the same meat.

As an uninitiated non-competition cook, I would say be as uniform as possible...and leave the end pieces out of the box.

This is a good summary. I want my pieces to be as uniform as possible.

The end pieces usually wind up in the belly of my partner!!! Lol.

Thanks for the replies... makes sense. I like to eat that end piece anyway.

There was six. Hard to tell, but the middle has one kind of on top of the other piece

It sort of looks like there are only 5 chunks in the back row. Is it just a camera angle? Or my eyes? If there are only 5, did you get dinged for it?

Even if there were only 5 chunks why would they get dinged? There are 6 portions of pork in the box, 1 for each of the judges, as the rule stipulates. If a judge dings them for what is not in the box then they are not judging properly.

Even if there were only 5 chunks why would they get dinged? There are 6 portions of pork in the box, 1 for each of the judges, as the rule stipulates. If a judge dings them for what is not in the box then they are not judging properly.

Exactly correct! Thank you.
Ed

Yep, technically correct, but psychologically the judge who didn’t get a chunk may feel slighted and score lower, right or wrong. It’s not worth taking a chance on that happening.

I didn't mean it was a good idea. It meant that's the rule and a well trained judge will follow the rule.
Ed

Bark is often not your friend.. While it may taste good, it can ding your tenderness score

Back