Saturday Atlanta "Hawgin' for Haiti" Benefit Whole Hog Round 3 (Ongoing)

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
So this is the 3rd go round of a benefit cook a "person I know who just uses me for my shirley" puts on to raise money for kids :clap2:. Here is last years shenanigans.

Will start cooking later tonight at sometime, maybe midnight or later since the last one (around 100lbs) took 10hrs and we had it done early and just held it. I'll try to keep things up to date, but will head there after work. I dropped my smoker off already. There will be the pig, like 8 briskets and a case of boneless thighs. I'll make slaw and beans as well.

jvrUFy6l.jpg

mokHmczl.jpg

Probably nothing interesting will happen but feel free to follow along.......
e3rqvTtl.jpg

jzFYFbLl.jpg

Subscribe... don't wanna miss out on this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Once again, I have the "pleasure" of spending an entire night cooking with Jason. That poor triceratops never had a chance

So oddly things going according to plan which isn't a good sign :clap2:.

We injected it around 6pm with 2 gallons of whatever random things we put in a blender. Last year the pig around 100lbs took 10hrs running the 275-325 range and it was done earlier than planned so instead of starting at 10pm we started at midnight.

Since I normally got to bed at 9:30 because i'm old already and "what's his face" took the first shift we did what I call a "cold start" on the hog. This means put the hog on the smoker when it isn't lit and then keep the doors open when lighting and the way we light with a torch it is burning clean in about 10-20mins. Hog had foil on the top with ice packs right until firing up. Basically loading it in with just one person isn't super easy.

Foil comes off right after lighting and we left the stuff on the face to keep from getting too dark
6nAnh90l.jpg

A3Z3fNMl.jpg

x34N3Ubl.jpg

DGgQ9LAl.jpg

vsSNf6Rl.jpg

I got my 4hrs of sleep from 10-2 which is all I need and now will starting drinking.....coffee....and just be up the rest of the day

These pictures were right around 2:30am got 2 mavericks in there for fun and some oven therms I normally have. Pretty even left to right and that bottom left is normally the coolest
dC1FMM4l.jpg

14MY65Ll.jpg

8nEft19l.jpg

6plA5WZl.jpg

HoUcNGsl.jpg

The other guy went to bed so now I'm just up randomly hiding things in his house :-D

Back