MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #211
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Default final resting place leveled

I thought I would share a picture of the final resting place with the smoker parked and leveled. That camper/trailer style leveler was awesome. Took the guess work out of leveling. I just put a level on top and pushed until it came level (2 person job, although I managed on my own ). I had no idea the slope on the back side of the patio was that bad.

I used "Anderson-3604 Camper Leveler". Purchased a pair from Amazon. A little pricey, but I needed something simple to manage, and to keep me from going nuts. The angle of the slope was so bad, the doors would swing open past me.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Produ...r-leveler.aspx

I am happy now, and cant wait to get it more dirty with tons of meat. Seasoning the smoker was like a killer tease, and as the weatherman predicted the rain came. Luckily I was done, the coals were dead and had enough time to clean it out...

IMG_2150_small.jpg
darkoozy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #212
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes1212 View Post
Sorry, for taking so long to reply back. I started with a 1/2 full chimney taken from a bag of KBB, the rest went in the pit. I also added two dozen child fist sized pieces of lump, and mixed in. About noon today, I had to add about 3 lbs of KBB to help finish the ribs. That would be about 13 lbs total. Now I did not run with a whole lot of water inside. I would pour in about a half gallon of tap hot water about every hour, and ran dry overnight. Total run time is 19 hours.

I went to bed last night about at 11, and pit temp was 225. At 6:45 am this morning, It was still at 225.
Huge difference between your results and my results. I am a big devotee of water smoking since I took Myron Mixon's cooking class in 2004. I don't plan on giving it up. My Backwoods Smoker does not seem to be bothered by a full water pan. Neither did my Myron Mixon Smoker. Neither did my 60" JR Enterprizes side burner. The water keeps the meat moist and also helps regulate the cooker temperature.

I am leaking smoke around the door gasket. I wonder if that could affect my results? I'll try adjusting the latch, but it's already pretty far in.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #213
ggee6688

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrben1 View Post
Huge difference between your results and my results. I am a big devotee of water smoking since I took Myron Mixon's cooking class in 2004. I don't plan on giving it up. My Backwoods Smoker does not seem to be bothered by a full water pan. Neither did my Myron Mixon Smoker. Neither did my 60" JR Enterprizes side burner. The water keeps the meat moist and also helps regulate the cooker temperature.

I am leaking smoke around the door gasket. I wonder if that could affect my results? I'll try adjusting the latch, but it's already pretty far in.
Yea. Mine was leaking only when there is water. Its like the steam builds and there may be too much pressure in the box. I latched mine down but it seems to move out anyways. I don't know if its the paint under the clasp that may be causing it not to stick as much. I'll probably replace it with the bare metal chrome that the manufacturer makes it with if possible. Probably, not, I'm too lazy. It does seem like a tight fit when its cooking dry, no smoke leaks at all. Just during water time.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #214
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoozy View Post
Wow, totally forgot about that, thank you for catching that!
I sent an e-mail to Bill Donohue. He offered to alter my cover but it's not that much of a problem.
He asked for a picture, so I sent him this.

GrillWraps Cut Out Pub.jpg

Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #215
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=jrben1;2900333]I sent an e-mail to Bill Donohue. He offered to alter my cover but it's not that much of a problem.
He asked for a picture, so I sent him this.

Ya, I sent him an email. He said it would be no problem to modify as well and that it was not too late for the modification. Great guy to work with!

He did not ask for a picture from me, assuming he already knew. He told me someone already contacted him (I guess you had already beat me)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #216
lonestargrillz
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

There is defiantly a learning curve with regards to, when and how, to use the water. It can be added at any and all temperatures but will need to be managed to yield good results. If your cooking alot hotter than the boiling point with water in the pan and your stack is closed way down you will likely get some smoke (more likely steam) coming from the door seals because it has no where else to go and you create a pressure differential. If you want to cook with water at higher temps (I advocate cooking with water as well for the above mentioned reasons but dont generally use it when I cook above 250, briskets and pork butts I cook at 210-225 with water every thing else I cook at 275 and up with out) then you can expect higher fuel consumption and more water use being converted to steam. One way around this is to elevate a foil pan inside the existing water pan and put your water in it so its not in direct contact with the fire underneath. This will decrease the steam and increase burn time, also you can place a large foil pan on the first rack with water in it and accomplish the same thing cooking with water at higher temps. At 225 with water directly in the pan and the guru or stoker you can expect .75-1 hour per pound of charcoal including your preheat time and your charcoal used in your charcoal chimney to get the fire going. Under these conditions we can expect the same results every time, the higher the set point temp the higher the fuel consumption and lower burn times.

If you adjust the latch this may help, make sure to adequately tighten the set screw when you do so the latch stays adjusted tightly (if not it will just slide back out ). I also like to spray the seals down with Pam every other time or two to keep them flexible and in good shape.

I have personally cooked on these units hundreds of times and almost as many ways trying to gain knowledge and experience on what works and what doesn't, I certainly don't know it all but am happy to help anybody shorten their learning curve when using this smoker.

Thanks
Chris
lonestargrillz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #217
ggee6688

Definitely going to try the water in other cheap aluminum plans. Just need to try to keep the temp low. So I can get more smell goods while I'm doing yard work all day.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #218
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

I had people from the end of my street ride their bikes to my place to see what I was cooking, needless to say all the neighbors smelled it. I had visitors off and on all afternoon.
Lonely Charbroil Infrared Gasser and Quick Read Thermapen
[B]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/B]
mikes1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #219
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I had people from the end of my street ride their bikes to my place to see what I was cooking, needless to say all the neighbors smelled it. I had visitors off and on all afternoon.
Ya, if I had my smoker in the front driveway like you, I would have to run my neighbors off or I wouldn't have any food left

Old 04-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #220
jrben1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestargrillz View Post
I have personally cooked on these units hundreds of times and almost as many ways trying to gain knowledge and experience on what works and what doesn't, I certainly don't know it all but am happy to help anybody shorten their learning curve when using this smoker.

Thanks
Chris
Chris, we all really do appreciate your participation in our BBQ Brethren thread. It is great to have your comments and help. I personally will highly recommend Lone Star Grillz to any of my friends looking for a cooker. Your product is of high quality and your customer support is awesome.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #221
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Chris, we all really do appreciate your participation in our BBQ Brethren thread. It is great to have your comments and help. I personally will highly recommend Lone Star Grillz to any of my friends looking for a cooker. Your product is of high quality and your customer support is awesome.
I agree, the smoker is a well built, and very functional. Well worth the money! Chris's continued support is a great asset, and he has helped all of us with our learning curve.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #222
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

What is the groups opinion on placing salmon in the smoker? Good idea or bad? I had heard that the smell of the fish could ruin the inside. I have placed salmon many times in my BGE and had no problem. The fish is always fairly fresh or I will not buy it.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #223
clweed

Quote:
What is the groups opinion on placing salmon in the smoker? Good idea or bad? I had heard that the smell of the fish could ruin the inside. I have placed salmon many times in my BGE and had no problem. The fish is always fairly fresh or I will not buy it.
I don't think you can beat cedar plank on the egg😋

Unless you going to cook more than the egg can handle, it's a big cooker for a few pieces of fish
clweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2014, 06:35 PM   #224
mikes1212
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clweed View Post
I don't think you can beat cedar plank on the egg😋

Unless you going to cook more than the egg can handle, it's a big cooker for a few pieces of fish
But if I have room and the cabinet is already going, I thought well maybe. But I do agree that the Egg handles salmon quite well! I still wonder about the smell of the fish lingering well after the salmon comes off. The comment came from a guy with a WSM. I just don't want a moment!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #225
darkoozy
is One Chatty Farker

I wouldn't put seafood in there. The smell will stick everywhere.

I would use my wsm for fish if I was going to try that.