• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Slicing Point for Burnt Ends

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
The Burrito TD allowed me another brisket practice run for burnt ends, and I have some slicing questions... Is your initial slicing direction with the grain or is your initial slicing direction across the grain? And is it best to square-up that center sweet spot and only take cubes from that area?

sZ9FDIl.jpg

I can only speak for me....my first slice is always against the grain.....and yes, I try to feel around and look at things real good and think about where I think I am actually gonna get my best pieces from and I do my best to make sure I work in such a way that doe snot compromise the quality of where I think the best pieces are.

If it makes your process any easier, I've been hearing of more and more teams NOT turning in burnt ends simply because there's such a discrepancy of what makes a "good" burnt end to a different judge. My only 180 in brisket was a box without burnt ends.
A slice is either good or bad, there's not much wiggle room there. But a burnt end is a whole different animal.

I don't know if it will help you but during trimming I cut a chunk off the brisket. Cut it against the grain. That way I know which way to slice the flat when cooked. I find it hard to tell which way the grain runs once it is rubbed and cooked. So for me it helps me remember.

If it makes your process any easier, I've been hearing of more and more teams NOT turning in burnt ends simply because there's such a discrepancy of what makes a "good" burnt end to a different judge. My only 180 in brisket was a box without burnt ends.
A slice is either good or bad, there's not much wiggle room there. But a burnt end is a whole different animal.
Agreed - we quit turning them in. Way too much controversy and prejudice. In our region we have a number of judges who freely state "I don't like burnt ends so I automatically mark down when I see them in the box"

FWIW... This judges LOVES (true) burnt ends !!! But I can not judge them as Burnt Ends, only as diced Brisket, due to the rules.

FWIW... This judges LOVES (true) burnt ends !!! But I can not judge them as Burnt Ends, only as diced Brisket, due to the rules.

... and don't even get me started on chopped brisket. It took me a good 25 min trying to do the pull test on it at Santa Anita. The darn stuff was falling through my fingers, and I had to keep doing it over and over and over again

(right now I'm quite certain a few dozen cooks are throwing something sharp and pointy at their screens, wondering if I'm joking ... or not :biggrin1:)

Last edited:
... and don't even get me started on chopped brisket. It took me a good 25 min trying to do the pull test on it at Santa Anita. The darn stuff was falling through my fingers, and I had to keep doing it over and over and over again

(right now I'm quite certain a few dozen cooks are throwing something sharp and pointy at their screens, wondering if I'm joking ... or not :biggrin1:)

No, we know you’re not joking.

I don't know if it will help you but during trimming I cut a chunk off the brisket. Cut it against the grain. That way I know which way to slice the flat when cooked. I find it hard to tell which way the grain runs once it is rubbed and cooked. So for me it helps me remember.

On my backyard packers, or something heavily seasoned like a pastrami I make a little "V" notch, in the brisket flat, so I know to slice transverse to the "V". My competition trimmed flat is box width, rounded edges.... and ready to slice left to right.

CfY5Ll4.jpg

Agreed - we quit turning them in. Way too much controversy and prejudice. In our region we have a number of judges who freely state "I don't like burnt ends so I automatically mark down when I see them in the box"

I never would have expected to hear that. But..... that's why I'm asking questions.

Identify and report to KCBS. We don't need judges that can't follow the rules.
Ed

Am I missing something here? How could anyone not like burnt ends? For my limited experience, burnt ends on a brisket are some of the best eating from the cow. If you publicly state you don't like burnt ends, how in the world could you be a judge?

There's a lot I don't understand. This just adds one more thing to the list

Back