MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Help!! 1st Deer Ham

Hello Brethren!

Been a very busy week/weekend! While me and the grandkids were at the cabin, my brother calls and informs me he has left a cooler with fresh deer meat in my carport and asks me to smoke one of the hams for Sunday's lunch tomorrow . Anyway, long story short, just got home, fired up the CG (even before unpacking the car), then checked the cooler... wow!

There are 2 huge hams and a tenderloin in the cooler. Not too sure how to even start with smoking one of the hams. De-bone?? Cut into smaller pieces before smoking?? Trim fat, add rub, etc and throw on the smoker??

On the way home, I was thinking about stuffing the ham with sliced onions, freah garlic, and butter, but after seeing how big these things are, I'm second guessing myself.

What say you BBQ Brethren???

Oh here's a quick picture to help calibrate the size:
100_0535.jpg

I believe he bagged this deer early this morning, cleaned it and butchered it pretty quick. Then he placed the two hams and the tenderloin in a cooler filled with ice water, They have been soaking in this ice water for about 6 or so hours...

Thanks in advance!!!

Papa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0531.jpg (43.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0532.jpg (40.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0533.jpg (34.9 KB, 179 views)

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I would inject with a brine mixture, then smoke with a bacon layer on top. I have found, with experience, wild game is lean, Therefore, you need a fat layer to baste. Bacon. Since you don't have time to brine, inject is the next best thing.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Kevin

Debone and remove all silver skin is how I would handle them. I've never been a big fan of venison roasts, but my bride (she's from up nort and grew up on venison) has soaked them in milk in the fridge overnight and they turned out pretty good. I'm sure some others here will have better advice.

Edit: Like him^^^.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
txschutte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Debone and remove all silver skin is how I would handle them. I've never been a big fan of venison roasts, but my bride (she's from up nort and grew up on venison) has soaked them in milk in the fridge overnight and they turned out pretty good. I'm sure some others here will have better advice.
Just to add to Kevin's post. I have seen using buttermilk. The buttermilk contains acids that will break down the "gamey" taste.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'm going to try the deboning method and maybe injection...

The other shoulder will go in the freezer and get smoked at a later date when I've got time to plan...

Old 11-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Cowgirl did a venison shoulder last year ..... here's the link http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=52949

This looked very good

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

I concur ... buttermilk brine. Just make sure it is active culture for the best results.
Or what ever Cowgirl said.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Kevin

As stated earlier, the "gamey" taste in venison is most prominent in the bones and "fat". Deer really don't have much fat to speak of, but the thin shiny looking stuff that is nestled closely to the lean muscle (I call it silver skin) has a strong gamey flavor. It would be in your best interest to remove it before freezing. That undesirable flavor will overpower the taste of the venison and taint it's flavor.

And later when you want to clean out the freezer, yet don't want to waste this fine meat, you decide to make sausage from it. Deer sausage is good stuff. That nasty silver skin will trash a meat grinder in short order. This I know.

My bride contributed to this post because she knows much more about butchering venison than I do.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Yo Pappa, I have many years experience cooking venison on the smoker. I have used a lot of recipes and techniques over the years and the following recipe is the one I like best. Q'Sis posted this recipe years ago on Ray Basso's forum. It works good on lamb and chevon too.

"From a thin paperback booklet, called, 'The Barbecue & Smoker Cookbook, from the Kitchens of Southern Living'

Magnificent Marinade

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T. dry mustard
1 T. coarsely ground pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley"

When I use this recipe as an injection solution, I omit the vegetable oil. I make up the solution a day or two in advance so the flavors can meld. I then strain the solution so that the garlic, pepper and parsley do not clog the injecting needle. I use about an ounce of solution per pound of meat and let the meat rest for about four hours before cooking. The rub I use on venison is a combination of brisket rub and Montreal Steak Seasoning.

I cook the meat at 250ºF and the hams will take between 30 to 45 minutes per pound. I cannot stress enough to monitor the internal temperature of the meat. IMHO, anything above 155ºF is going to yield a tough and dry product. Venison is best served cooked no higher than medium. If you see that hams are going to be done earlier than expected, take them off at no higher than 150ºF and wrap them in foil and place in a cooler until needed. My preference is to take them to 145ºF, wrap them in foil and let them rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing.

As for the back strap, you can either marinade it in the recipe posted above. If you do marinade the loin, I would include the oil in the solution, but not if you inject. The cooking time should be the same, but I would take the loin no higher than 140ºF. So keep a close watch on that internal temperature as once the meat hits 130ºF, it won't take long to hit medium rare.

One last piece of advice on removing the silver skin from either roast. Place them in the freezer and let them sit just long enough for the exterior of the meat to freeze. When the exterior is frozen, take a sharp knife and whittle off the silver skin. You won't lose as much meat this way.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Deers to you,
Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow!

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Good suggestions, ideas, recipes, links, etc...

Juggy, thanks for your input and I'll definitely slightly freeze the rest of the meat as I had heck cutting the silver skin off tonight.

I ended up cutting large chunks of meat off of the shoulder, skinning the silver skin off and using a quick rub of:

granulated garlic (I have fresh garlic, but was in a hurry)
coarse ground pepper
salt
paprika
chipotle chile pepper powder
ground cinnamon

They're on the smoker as we speak.

I'll post pron when they come off.

Again MANY THANKS for all the help!!!!

Papa

Old 11-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
Mark Stanton
is one Smokin' Farker

Go getem Papa! I don't have any advice but it looks like you got it under control. Lookin forward to the pron
Mark Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
smokehunter
On the road to being a farker

What you are doing will be great... i typically remove silver skin as good as possible, jab with a knive and insert garlic cloves, slice along the bone and stuff with onion and jalapnoe, inject with a mixture of balsamic vinegar, orange juice and cayene, rub with spicy season all or tony c's or whatever and wrap with bacon. smoke low and slow for a while.... you can slice with a butter knife when done. as good as it gets.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Papa Payne
is one Smokin' Farker

Default The results:

Rubbed down and ready for the smoker:
100_0536.jpg

Then disaster hits! I fall asleep and only wake up when the remote temp monitor alarmed when the smoke chamber dropped below 200 at 2AM :r oll:...

The meat was at 180!!!!

Oh well, its not the end of the world.

Here's the line up off of the smoker:
100_0538.jpg

The loin sliced:
100_0539.jpg

Other than being dry, the flavor was surprisingly good.

Thanks for everyones help!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #14
Juggy D Beerman
Full Fledged Farker

Yo Papa, That bit of advice I gave about removing silver skin works both ways. When you decide to cook the remaining pieces that are in the freezer, you can remove the silver skin after the exterior of the meat has thawed and the majority of the interior is still frozen. A very sharp knife is essential to this operation.

One other thing, what you have pictured is not a shoulder, it is hind leg or commonly referred to as a ham. Most of the deer shoulders I have seen do not have enough meat on them to make them worth while cooking as roasts. There are a lot of small muscles surrounded by silver skin on the shoulders. Most folks around my neck of the woods use the shoulder muscles for making jerky or grind them up for burger.

Sorry to hear that you over shot your target temp. That happens to the best of us. The meat does have a nice color to it. One thing you can do when you reheat the meat is this. Sprinkle water on the slices before you reheat them in the microwave. Reduce the power setting to 30% and this will reheat the meat slowly. I use this 30% power method for reheating almost all my barbecue. Full power just makes the meat tough and overcooks it as well.

Lager,

Juggy
Juggy D Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote