MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Default Great Fresh Ham Post with Great "Pron"

I've been scouring the net trying to find the best fresh ham recipe for my Thanksgiving ham I came across this post on another site and thought it was very impressive. I posted it on my prior thread but it was so far back that I don't think many people got to see it. So I figured I'd post it by itself. Gives a good brine recipe. I have my 18.5 pound ham injected and soaking in the brine bucket for the next 10 days. Will post Pron after its soak and smoke! By the way I had to cut the thread down was 2 big. The 2 hams he shows in the middle with the one being sliced is actually are deer hams. I accidently deleted the part that explained that. He just threw them in with the pig.

Heres a nice thread I found on another site.

Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams Seaharvester
trapper

Loc: South Jersey I bought a 35lb. pig, and raised it to over 350lb. this past summer.

After butchering we ground the shoulders&trimmings to make about 40 lb.s of brats, and sausage.

I got 8 beautiful racks of baby back ribs

Rendering the fat we ended up with about 10lbs. of the worlds best pork rinds&6 2lb. coffee cans of lard

Top #897902 - 09/23/08 08:05 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester] Seaharvester
trapper

Loc: South Jersey I brewed up 18 gallons of brine, then injected it into the hams

Placed hams&bacon into buckets and soaked in chilled brine. hams get 10 day soak, bacon 3 days in fridge kept at 38 degrees.

Top #897908 - 09/23/08 08:06 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester] Seaharvester
trapper

Loc: South Jersey After soaking in brine we smoke the bacon and brats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgMxiA_g_E

Top #897909 - 09/23/08 08:07 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester] Ricky Cox
trapper

Loc: Lexington, Texas Where's the picture of some of those brats cooking? Looks good and I know it a lot of work too.

Top #897913 - 09/23/08 08:08 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Seaharvester] Seaharvester
trapper

Loc: South Jersey Fineshed product

Loc: South Jersey Sliced the bacon on my slicer

Ended up with about 38 lbs, of bacon

www.yoteman.com

This is the whole ham with a nice finishing glaze

This is the boned out one that I sliced into lunch meat!It is wiith out doubt the best deer ham in the world!

Loc: South Jersey This is the hog hams&hocks. One ham was left whole bone in, for the holidays. The other I boned out before smoking, and sliced into 1/4"ham steaks, and lunch meat.

Loc: South Jersey Originally Posted By: Pasadena
That looks great.What kind of wood did use for the smoke?

Hickory, sugar maple, and apple.

Loc: Pa Nice Job, no waste either . Im buying a pig now lol

Loc: northwest Ohio You really are an artist with a pig. lol I wish you lived closer to me. I raise about 7,000 hogs a year. Oh the beautiful pictures we could make together.

Loc: South Jersey Originally Posted By: Flattailin
Nice Job, no waste either . Im buying a pig now lol

No waste, I even smoked the bones for my lil girl

Loc: South Jersey Originally Posted By: minktrapper6099
You really are an artist with a pig. lol I wish you lived closer to me. I raise about 7,000 hogs a year. Oh the beautiful pictures we could make together.

That would cut into my deer hunting time!

Top #897965 - 09/23/08 08:28 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: Flattailin] David D
trapper

Loc: NE North Carolina How about some pictures of your smoker. I have been wanting to build one and not sure where to start.

Top #897984 - 09/23/08 08:34 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: David D] timberchopper
trapper

Loc: ek, ks CAn you discuss the brine in more detail? Did you inject the same brind as you soaked it in? or two different recipes? What was your brine made out of if you dont mind giving out the trade secrets.

Top #897991 - 09/23/08 08:37 PM Re: Hog butchering, curing and smoking bacon&hams [Re: David D] freeburgtrapper
trapper

Loc: freeburg,illinois ah yes i love butchering hogs. we put all our shoulders in sausage also. you can get porksteaks that taste the same anywhwere but you cant get good sausage so thats why we make ours into pork sausage or brats or polish sausage. we never have brine cured our hams and bacon but i would like to see the brines and how you do it. we just inject and rub and let sit turning them in the middle of the week. bacon just get stacked with salt packed inbetween layers. great looking set up.

P.S the deer hams looked great but i got sick on one that someone had done one time. havent been able to put another piece in my mouth since.
matt

Loc: South Jersey Originally Posted By: timberchopper
CAn you discuss the brine in more detail? Did you inject the same brind as you soaked it in? or two different recipes? What was your brine made out of if you dont mind giving out the trade secrets.

I use the same brine on the hams&bacon, it is very easy to make, and taste awesome For twenty pounds of meat use 3 cups of brown sugar 3 tablespoons Pickling Spice, 8 tablespoons Prague Powder #1, 4 cloves Garlic, 3 tablespoons of Chicago steak rub (You can substitute for any steak rub), 3 cups of sea salt, 2 gallons of water. Bring to a boil for ten minutes then chill to 38 degrees. Besure to inject a lot along the bone, and about every 2 square inches of meat on both sides. Then fully submerge in non metal containers and chil for 10 days. Then you place hams in a container and soak in ice water for 2 hours, replace the ice water and soak for two more hors, this removes the access salt from the cure. Then they are ready for the smoker.

edit to add (3 cups of sea salt)

Loc: South Jersey Originally Posted By: Clark
So Seaharvester, out of a 350lb pig, how many pounds do you expect to put away as hams, sausage, ribs, etc? Just curious what the yield is. Looks great and you're making me hungry even though I just ate!

Clark

I generally scold the hogs and scrape the hair off, this was the first time I skinned one so the yeild on lard and pork rinds were much less then usual. With smoking, the hams went from about 30lbs. a piece to about twenty pounds. I had about 50 lbs. of bacon, it rendered 38 lbs. when it was done. 40 lbs. of brats and sausage after smoking about 30 lbs. I have 8 very nice loin roast at about 50lbs. fresh meat. 20 lbs of ribs Id say roughly 225 lbs of product in total. It is a ton of work, and takes a lot of time, but the taste is superb, and it is a lot of fun. I'd say it is about the same as buying at the grocery store when it comes to cost, but I know what my hog ate.

Edited by Seaharvester (09/23/08 09:26 PM)

Loc: South Jersey Thanks, The hams were so large I had to cut the shank off, to fit in the 6 gallon buckets, this made it easy to inject between the tendons in the joint.

Edited by Seaharvester (09/23/08 11:10 PM)

Loc: Minnesota Quote:
I use the same brine on the hams&bacon, it is very easy to make, and taste awesome For twenty pounds of meat use 3 cups of brown sugar 3 tablespoons Pickling Spice, 8 tablespoons Prague Powder #1, 4 cloves Garlic, 3 tablespoons of Chicago steak rub (You can substitute for any steak rub), 2 gallons of water. Bring to a boil for ten minutes then chill to 38 degrees. Besure to inject a lot along the bone, and about every 2 square inches of meat on both sides. Then fully submerge in non metal containers and chil for 10 days. Then you place hams in a container and soak in ice water for 2 hours, replace the ice water and soak for two more hors, this removes the access salt from the cure. Then they are ready for the smoker.

Did you use this same brine for the deer hams? Those pictures of the deer hams made my mouth water! What did you use for the finishing glaze? In your recipe is the only salt you used in the steak rub? How long and at what temp did you smoke them. I have been wanting to smoke venison hams for a couple of years now and this has really spurred me on.
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #2
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

That brings back memories
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great but how the **** do you get 8 slabs of Baby Backs out of one pig ?

DM
Don Marco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #4
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Marco View Post
Looks great but how the **** do you get 8 slabs of Baby Backs out of one pig ?

DM
Beat me to it..... Dunno. I mean there are 4 in the pics, and there would be 2 spares and 2 baby....
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

All that's missin' is the cracklin' corn bread and butter milk! (Tennessee Boy Mod)
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
DavidEHickey
Full Fledged Farker

Actually it wasn't missing I just had to delete sections off. No pron but they did have this!

anyone care to share that cracklin/cornbread recipe ? sounds awesome.
Cornbread

1 Cup sifted all-purpose flour; 1/4 Cup sugar; 4 tsp baking powder; 1 Cup yellow cornmeal; 2 eggs; 1 Cup milk; ¾ cup of lard ¼ cup of crunched cracklins. Combine ingredients. Do not over mix. Bake at 425 F for 20-25 min. in greased cast iron skillet.
DavidEHickey is offline   Reply With Quote