MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #1
UNCMo96
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : UNCMo96
Default Pergola options to protect outdoor kitchen from the elements

I'm planning an outdoor kitchen and live in the Northeast. I'm worried about the elements damaging the kitchen. As a secondary goal it would be nice to grill without having to look at the forecast.

Currently I have a weber summit that's 14 years old and a 7 year old Kamado Joe that are both in great condition since I cover them pretty religiously and maintain them.

My yard space isn't big and the wife isn't so keen on a pavilion that will tower 12 feet tall in the yard. She is amenable to a pergola since those are only 8-9 feet tall. I was looking at getting something like this system on top of a pergola: https://pergolacover.com/ Anyone use any system like this on their outdoor kitchen? Any other thoughts for shelter over an outdoor kitchen that I haven't thought of?

Thanks!
UNCMo96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Mike Twangzer
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks like a nice solution.
Mike Twangzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #3
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Put that on an angle and be able to throw a Tarp over it in weather conditions

Old 05-08-2021, 07:54 AM   #4
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

That's not really going to offer much protection at all. If you want protection, it'll need to be covered and being in NY, with the snow, it needs a slope. I'm eventually going to be doing something similar for our back patio and I was talking to a contractor yesterday (he was installing our kitchen floor) and the minimum slope should be 4 in 12.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #5
Inthewoods
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Personal opinion....
Pergolas are a aesthetic detail, not a functional one.

-D
Inthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

My gazebo is 12x14 and 10ft at the peak of the roof. Plenty of slope. It's in the middle of the yard. It could be a foot shorter if it was over a solid floor. No idea if you want it against the house or in another part of the yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
NoCoPk360
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fred

I had a stand alone patio cover built out of an aluminum material called "Elitewood". With the intense sun here I didn't want to mess with the maintenance of real wood. It looks good and keep the sun and rain off everything.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

Interesting system, I hadn’t heard of it. I have a similar challenge here trying to figure out what to do over my deck.

I didn’t look at their website enough to see if it’s mentioned but snow would be my concern in the north east. (The fact that they highlight TX and FL isn’t a good sign). I have an awning I use in the summer but that’s not helpful in the winter either - and shoveling out the grills is getting really old.

You might be able to find a design that doesn’t look so overwhelming. Alternatively, see if you can tie it into the house so it doesn’t look like a separate structure?

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote