MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #16
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Beautiful pit! Very similar to my dream Shirley if I were to ever get one. Love the detachable tongue to turn it into a quasi patio model.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 04-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #17
edapp
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Ed

This is the best build I have seen to date. Not much bigger than the patio, but you can take it with you. Could cook for 50 people easy in this thing or just for one. Great compact package.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
edapp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-27-2021, 09:46 AM   #18
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapp View Post
This is the best build I have seen to date. Not much bigger than the patio, but you can take it with you. Could cook for 50 people easy in this thing or just for one. Great compact package.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks so much. Yes I love the small package - but its heavy. With the ¾" firebox, the shipping weight was 2,300 lbs. To say that she holds the heat is an understatement!

Old 04-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #19
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitesideJC View Post
Looks awesome! Probably late to the party here, but seeing that Shirley is making the fire management fire baskets like LSG. May have to inquire about one of those for my pit...

They're making them because customers are asking for them, but they (Tyler & Paul) have said in so many words they didn't feel it was worth the upgrade.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 AM   #20
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
They're making them because customers are asking for them, but they (Tyler & Paul) have said in so many words they didn't feel it was worth the upgrade.
You're right - Paul did infer that. But many who have had the original flat tray style and upgraded seem to have a different opinion.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
edapp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
You're right - Paul did infer that. But many who have had the original flat tray style and upgraded seem to have a different opinion.
I have a standard fire basket in my patio. It works great, I can keep a clean fire no problem. It does mean I have to be more careful placing the splits and use the fire poker occasionally to clean up the pile, make sure there is adequate airflow etc.

In my next build I will try the V basket. Not necessary, but I think it will be an upgrade. will keep the fire from collapsing and spreading itself too thin. I am usually working with a small fire to keep the temps low enough.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #22
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapp View Post
I have a standard fire basket in my patio. It works great, I can keep a clean fire no problem. It does mean I have to be more careful placing the splits and use the fire poker occasionally to clean up the pile, make sure there is adequate airflow etc.

In my next build I will try the V basket. Not necessary, but I think it will be an upgrade. will keep the fire from collapsing and spreading itself too thin. I am usually working with a small fire to keep the temps low enough.
Seems to me to be the best of both worlds. It acts as you described keeping the coal bed tighter similar to a traditional pipe firebox - but also has the added advantage of airflow on all sides. I have no basis of comparison, but I can attest to the fact that keeping a tight coal bed is easy as pie. Just keep adding sticks on the opposite diagonal. I really like it.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:49 AM   #23
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

How many racks do you have inside the cook chamber?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
How many racks do you have inside the cook chamber?
I have just 3 racks. I wanted the spacing more than I wanted the extra real-estate from a fourth rack.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #25
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Beautiful pit! Very similar to my dream Shirley if I were to ever get one. Love the detachable tongue to turn it into a quasi patio model.
Yes, the detachable tongue is handy - and serves as a bit of a theft deterrent. I'm adding a wheel lock this weekend to make things more challenging to would-be thieves.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:01 AM   #26
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greygoose View Post
Beautiful looking pit,,,,
I have the 24x36 JR. Model and luv it,,,, as do all my friends and family !!!!
Saw that the 24x36 prices will be increasing when Tyler starts to take orders again. Steel prices affecting everybody.

Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #27
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice They do Awesome Work Congrats and Enjoy
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 AM   #28
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George's BBQ View Post
Very nice They do Awesome Work Congrats and Enjoy
Thanks George

Old 05-03-2021, 05:55 AM   #29
TheRainman
Knows what a fatty is.

Looked at the shipping documents and the weight of this little girl is 2,300 lbs. More than I expected. That ¾" firebox...

Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #30
edapp
Knows what a fatty is.

Can you comment on the stability of the cooker when resting on the adjustable jack, and the trailers mobility?

Do you have a dolly to move the cooker without having to hitch it to a vehicle? How does it balance? Approximate tongue weight? Any stability issues with a trailer this short/narrow?

I am planning to build one almost exactly like this. I love how compact it is. I would like to be able to roll it around my driveway though without having to hitch it up so curious about how mobile it is at 2,300 lbs.