Any other low-carb BBQ lovers out there?

mmbbq1

Found some matches.
Reaction score
One of the things that really got me interested in BBQ and all things meat, is the fact that pretty much everything you make is of the low carb variety.

I've tried several diets over the last couple years and could never really stick to anything.

For shoots and giggles I tried the low-carb approach [ketogenic diet] and not only loved it, but really appreciated how well it works with people who love to BBQ!

The only MAJOR issue is the sauces - you gotta watch how much you use, and if you can make homemade sauces so you can control the sugar content.
Otherwise, it's just easy to stick with rubs...

So in about a month and a half of watching carbs and eating all sorts of delicious BBQ meats, fish, chicken and pork... I'm down 15 lbs to 145.
That's at least in the range of where my doctor says I should be, since at my height and age I'm shooting for 114 - 144.

I'd love to hear any low carb BBQ recipies you have, or what you love to cook that is low carb.

I never go wrong with a good mushroom glazed steak with grilled broccoli, or hickory smoked salmon with asparagus, blue cheese and bacon.
Yep, bacon. That *@#& goes on anything :)

-mm

I am low carb also. I have lost 86 pounds since January. I still use all the rubs, but have eliminated all the sauces. All I basically eat is fish,meat,chicken and salad. Oil and vinegar dressing. It is and has been a very difficult road. I just try to take one day at a time. Congrats to you. You are doing a great job.

I'm low carb. The hardest part is no alcohol. I also do better with no soda. Even diet soda. Giving up home made sour dough bread has also been hard. It turns into a way of life. Use cauliflower instead of potatoes zucchini instead of pasta only 1/2 a fruit per day. Take a vitamin and drink coffee black. The weight will fall off, but if you go back to your old ways it comes back on.
Good luck

I was diagnosed Type II diabetic 2 years ago. Though I do eat some carbs, it's a lot less than it used to be, I'm recently off meds and down 55 lbs. That sounds like a lot, but I still have some to lose. I am at my ideal weight if I was 7 feet tall.
Good Q really doesn't need sauce so I don't use it much.
Congrats on your success. Going low carb is a complete lifestyle change, that's for sure.

Low carb here too.

I lost 60 pounds in the first 9 months, have kept it off too.
I'm currently the same weight I was as a senior in High School... and eat BBQ 3-4 times a week :shock:

I love me some low-carb cole slaw too.

Been low carb for close to 20 years. Used basically plain chicken and rice to drop 130 back then, knew I couldn't keep that up, so switched to low carb to maintain the loss and I've never looked back. I feel like I don't miss out on anything, it challenged me to get creative with cooking. I will admit the booze are my weak spot, but hey being so strict I deserve my mich ultra and rum and diet cokes.

I had some cauliflower in the fridge the other day, decided to make a cauliflower version of potato salad. It turned out pretty good. Cooked the cauliflower about 3 minutes so it still had some crunch, then added mayo, hard-boiled egg, relish and celery. Next time I will add some vinegar or lemon juice, but was surprised how close to regular potato salad it was.

Low Carb BBQ

As a low carb user for many years, this is the rub and sauce I have developed for this type of cooking. From my blog site:

I use this rub on everything when I am low carbing.

2/3 cup salt
2/3 cup Splenda
1/2 cup paprika
6 TBL chili powder (the blend)
4 TBL fresh ground black pepper
2 TBL ground cumin
2 TBL garlic powder
2 TBL cayenne pepper

Mix it up in a bowl to blend it together.

This is my low carb sauce and it makes about 32 oz. A three tablespoon serving is just under 2 grams of carbs. This recipe is based off an old PK recipe.

4 (8 oz) cans of Contadina sauce...do not substitute
1 cup Splenda
1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chili powder (the blend)
2 TBL liquid smoke
1 TBL fresh ground black pepper
1 TBL Worcestershire sauce
1 TBL garlic salt
2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp celery salt

Place mixture over medium heat and simmer for about 10 minutes stirring constantly so it won't burn. This sauce is great on everything and is very good. Your guests will never know it is low carb.

Im low carb. Lost 35 lbs in my first 3 months, if your attempting to get into ketosis too much protein will prevent you from reaching ketosis.
Ive always been a fan of sauceless bbq.. my fav is dry rubbed loins and wings
Ive been loving smoked cauliflour rice lately

Excellent thread!
Love low carb diet....works well with my love of Q and grilled food.

Easy low carb protein base: grilled, marinated chicken. Just toss boneless skinless chicken breasts in with some oil and vinegar salad dressing (or just mix your own), then grill and you not only have dinner for the night, but the leftovers are useful for the rest of the week (chicken salad, chicken for use on top of salad, chicken for lettuce wraps, etc). If using store bought dressing, check the carb count. I tend to use Kens Italian dressing (0 carbs).

Grilled, marinated pork tenderloin: low carb and tasty! Marinate pork tenderloin in a mix of lime juice and zest, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, some Splenda and canola oil. Grill H&F till medium rare and serve with broccoli.

Smoked Meat loaf: I usually mix ground beef with bulk sausage, egg, seasoning (whatever you like), use grated Parmesan cheese as a substitute for bread crumbs. Smoked meat loaf is just a different animal compared to regular baked meat loaf! Love it! Won't make baked meat loaf ever again.

Fatties: low carb smoked goodness and an awesome way to start your day! I'll grab a bunch of fatties when on sale and smoke in bulk, then save extras in the freezer. Slice and dice some fatty, cook with eggs, top with some shredded cheese +/- home made salsa and you've got a breakfast that will stick to your ribs for many hours.

Good luck and keep at it!

Bruce

Been on LC dit for 2 years and doped 40 lbs until daughter almost died and was eating out a lot while she was in hospital so put back on 10 lbs but have dropped 5 of that the last couple weeks. I do stray but not often. The wife makes some mean low card casseroles with smoked chuckies and pulled pork.

Low carb here too.

I lost 60 pounds in the first 9 months, have kept it off too.
I'm currently the same weight I was as a senior in High School... and eat BBQ 3-4 times a week :shock:

I love me some low-carb cole slaw too.

Can you share the recipe for the low-carb coleslaw? Thanks

Im low carb. Lost 35 lbs in my first 3 months, if your attempting to get into ketosis too much protein will prevent you from reaching ketosis.
Ive always been a fan of sauceless bbq.. my fav is dry rubbed loins and wings
Ive been loving smoked cauliflour rice lately

Would you mind sharing your smoked cauliflower rice recipe? Sounds delicious.

Heck no! Smoked spaghetti and meatballs is the best thing on earth! Or smoked Mac n Cheese!

Can you share the recipe for the low-carb coleslaw? Thanks

Howdy, I roll old-school and eyeball the ingredients.

I use:
16 oz of store bought'n raw tri-color slaw
dollop of mayo
big splash of heavy cream
small splash of vinegar
splenda to taste
salt/pepper to taste

Hope this helps :wink:

Also, In a 16 oz bag of slaw, there is roughly 5g carbs/2g fiber per serving
serving size is 1.5 cups and there are 4.5 servings per 16 oz.

My favorite sauce/glaze, Franks and butter in a pan until simmer, mix in splenda brown sugar, scoop of whatever BBQ rub and reduce until thickened. Just glaze wings or ribs at the very end. Nice sweet/heat flavor.

Did low carb last spring/summer and lost 60 lbs in about 5 months through a weightloss clinic that specialized in low carb (gained about 7 or 8 lbs since then, but that's my fault). Actually the Stubbs original and spicy are very good low carb options for bbq sauce...I learned to always read the packaging on whatever I buy. A lot of good suggestions have been listed already. I like being able to work around recipes to fit the diet/lifestyle. For example using zucchini for spaghetti noodles in lieu of pasta. Or romaine lettuce leaves for tacos or sandwich wraps (there are low carb tortillas and wraps out there if you look, but they usually aren't cheap). And of course portion control is a must as well if you are looking to lose weight. Hope it goes well for you!

Back