MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Default Team Dinner

Hey, Everyone!

Quick question... I've been volunteered to cook for our high school boys basketball team dinner. It's about 60 people total (9-12th grade, plus coaches). I would like to do ribs and pulled pork. I'm hoping to give each kid a sandwich and a couple of ribs, and if there's enough for seconds, I'm very good with that.

Do two pork butts and 14 racks of ribs sound about right? We'll also be serving sides of mac-n-cheese and fruit. I'm trying to figure out if I'm in the ballpark of having enough meat.

Thanks for your input.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Boys in that age group EAT! And eat a lot. What ever you plan, double it. There is a bit of “tongue in cheek “ in my response, but a lot of truth.
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

So, I learned tonight that coming backs for seconds is actually factored into that 60 person number. So, I'm actually cooking for 30. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

Much of this depends on portion control, and it's sometimes helpful to think about these servings in terms of ounces (that translates to how much raw meat you'll need).

If you're serving 4oz servings of pulled pork for 60 servings, that's 240oz of meat.. divided by 16oz/lb is 15lb of cooked meat. One usually can count on about 50% yield of cooked meat for pork shoulder/picnic cooks. That means you'll need about 30lb of uncooked pork.

Sometimes I get closer to 60%, but I'd rather have some buffer "for mom and the kids."

I've not served ribs on a large scale, but I guarantee there's someone around who has.
Old 02-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

For 30 people

20lbs of raw pork
6 slabs of ribs (tell them 2 bone max first passthrough buffet)
1 full hotel pan of mac n cheese (double if no other sides)
4-5lbs of cut up fruit (double if so other sides will be served)

When I first started catering I would have thought a young group of guys like this would eat way more food than other groups. 13 years of catering has actually taught me this isn't true. I've fed everything from high school football teams to college basketball teams where everyone eating was 6'8" and 20 ish years old and they do not eat any more overall than any other group. I'm sure there may be exceptions, but this has been my experience. If you are worried, throw an extra butt and a rack or two of ribs on the cooker.
Old 02-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #6
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the input, everyone!