MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:19 AM   #1
SaySmoker
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : SmokerSay
Default 55 Gallon Drum Sourcing

Hi All,

Looking to build a UDS. Any advice as to where I can find a 55 gallon drum? I am in Long Island NY specifically. I haven’t had any luck on Craigslist. Thanks!

Old 12-04-2021, 06:12 AM   #2
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Try Facebook market place. There seems to be several sellers for open head 55 gallon drums- sort of depends on how far you want to drive. I just gave the zip as 11101 and let it roll for anything within 40 miles.

good luck

Old 12-04-2021, 06:22 AM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

You could also reach out to recyclers, scrap dealers and chemical companies - worth a shot.
If all else fails, you can source retail- will not be cheap but you will know it's new and what was in it. Buying retail also lets you avoid "food grade" drums which can have an interior coating that can be vexing to remove. (believe it)

Old 12-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #4
Back9Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Marketplace. Tons of them here in north FL for $10. There has to be someone by you advertises on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back9Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 06:55 AM   #5
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Here’s a couple of maybes

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/h...414807917.html
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/f...404635215.html
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

I found next to nothing on Craigslist as well, but plenty on Facebook marketplace. One thing you want to keep in mind, depending on how much work you want to do and what kind of tools you have is whether to go with a sealed drum vs one with a removable lid. With a sealed drum, you'll need to cut the top off, which is not desirable in my opinion as there are issues creating a tight seal between the drum and the lid. Better to go with a drum with a removable lid.

Second, if you can find a drum that is unlined, even if it costs more, it will cut back significantly on prep work as you won't have to remove the synthetic liner with burning, then cleaning out with a wire wheel.

Last, I would avoid drums with ridges like the photo below. The lower set of ridges offer no smooth/flat surface in the area you'll want to mount your lower exhaust inlets.

At some point a few months ago, I decided to go with a drum identical to the one used in this thread by sudsandswine below:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=281554

I liked the smooth surface of the drum he used, as well as the fact the lid had no bungs. After a couple of weeks of searching, I found one in IN, about a 2.5 hour drive from us for $20 and picked it up a few days later. It had everything I was looking for - no liner, no ridges, removable lid, and the lid is flat with no bungs. Once I get the holes drilled for grate hardware, exhaust inlets etc, I'm going to have it sandblasted, then it gets a nice coat of paint.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
Individualist
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Brian

Here's a perfect barrel in Kingston. He has 2 for $50 but might be willing to sell one? Might be too far of a drive for you tho? I found mine at plant that used adhesives in their product so that might be a good tip for you. Also, find something that doesn't have an epoxy liner but is just bare steel.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...402070513.html
Individualist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

If you find one Big Poppa Smokers has a kit to make a UDS Has what you need except for the drum
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Here's a source for new. They even have one that has a drain near the bottom that would be perfect for installing a 2" air intake valve. They aren't cheap though. Lot's of options available.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drums/capac...ight-~55-gal-/

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
Moose

Name/Nickname : Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individualist View Post
Here's a perfect barrel in Kingston. He has 2 for $50 but might be willing to sell one? Might be too far of a drive for you tho? I found mine at plant that used adhesives in their product so that might be a good tip for you. Also, find something that doesn't have an epoxy liner but is just bare steel.

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/...402070513.html

That's exactly like the drum I got. $30 is a good price for it!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I work in auto manufacturing and occasionally our plant will sit a dozen or so steel drums on the curb. People get them quickly. I would check any auto or industrial manufacturing plants around NY and you might get lucky. Also keep in mind of what the drum may have contained. Ours hold automotive grease but have a heavy trash bag type liner so the inside is clean. Keep your eyes peeled and good luck.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #12
Individualist
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
That's exactly like the drum I got. $30 is a good price for it!
Yep, same H.B. Fuller barrel here. I designed and built it to my own liking. A prefab kit would be an excellent alternative.

2.jpg
Individualist is offline   Reply With Quote