MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #46
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Good idea, that caulk gets really hard!

;)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75716
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #47
alanneila
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default smoker

yes, I knew the staves would dry---but my barrel is 50 years old, so I figure it is as dry as it will be. My mistake is I took it apart to clean etc. I wish I hadn't. It seems then I had issues with the staves. I have had 3 cooks on it and the staves are not moving any. I did screw each one down. I knew they made a caulking for repairing mortar etc with fireplaces. I will try and see if it works, but should seal the gap to maintain temps. In most cases, you probably dont need an exhaust pipe on top, and just let smoke go out of staves.
alanneila is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #48
alanneila

Smoke stack completed....pvc with metal cap ($!! Looks good and light weight.

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/a...ker%20project/

Old 08-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #49
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I just got a whiskey barrel and I thought that after I drilled the usual 3 1" vents in the bottom I would put a spigot like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-Wine-Barrel-...efaultDomain_0 in one of the holles.

Think it will give enough air for about 250F??

Last edited by stl-rich; 08-09-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: typo
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #50
alanneila

are you sing gas or charcoal? if too much air, charcoal will flare in to a flame, so have to be careful. A burner you can control and put in a pan with no access to burn the wood. Air for charcoal could cause a huge flareup.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #51
alanneila

the spigot is cool....and would look nice, either functional or not. I was thinking of same thing. They have wood or metal. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #52
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I'm planning on charcoal = gonna pickup some expando tommorrow.'

I just don't think that the spigot will allow in too much air - but if it does, I'll get a ball valve
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooker, gas, hickory, propane, recipe, ribs, smoke, smoker