Grilling Catfish? I'm fishing again

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
At another park and fishing again. This time right in the savannah river. Camp host said folks were catching big catfish so hopefully I don't strike out.

Nothing to fry with as I don't have flour but we have a grill. Anyone grill catfish if I catch something? I got actual worms this time.

15ft walk down the hill and will plop a chair down soon.

20190814_152701.jpg20190814_152709.jpg

Sure, grilled catfish is great, but be careful, catfish gets pretty flakey and prone to break apart when fully cooked, try not to lose any through the grill. Also, smoked fish dip is always yummy and pretty much any fish works.

chicken liver or shrimp would be better bait than worms to be honest. as long as the grill is clean and oiled, you can grill catfish filets. Just to be safe, you can just grill on a piece of foil. Add some grilled onions, peppers, tomatoes, herbs and butter/lemon for a great grilled fish dish

Catfish are bottom feeders. You need to be fishing on the bottom vs with a cork. Put enough weight on it to get it out there a ways. Reel the slack out of the line and wait until you feel a nibble then snatch the hell out of it.

And as far as bait goes, catfish eat anything. Put a glob of worms on, livers, ivory soap, etc... Like I said they are bottom feeders who eat anything just about.

Fish off of that point when you panned right at the bend in the river.

Straight off that point where that picnic table is.

If you've got nightcrawlers, put two or three on the hook and cast it out there with a biggish weight about 2 ft. above the hook. You're gonna have better luck this time, Brother!

Heads up, for catfish. The stinkier bait gets better results.

I grill fillets with skin on, skin side down with a lil butter and any Seafood seasoning. Creole Seasoning works too.....once grilled meat pulls away from skin easily.

I don’t keep Fish often but prefer to fillet 4-8 lbrs to get Good size, thicker fillets. I HATE filleting 1-2 lb Dink’s but Fry it when I do.

Last edited:
55913496ee67e1d80bb9648f1b5ed7c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll bite, I have skinned a bunch of salt water varieties, but pretty clueless to a catfish; and since you asked, I must believe there is a trick to it.

This kid does it the easy way. Pretty efficient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JawXetjPVQM

We used to have a horizontal telephone pole in the backyard we'd nail them to. Cut around the gill, head and skin it like a rabbit.

Catfish are bottom feeders. You need to be fishing on the bottom vs with a cork. Put enough weight on it to get it out there a ways. Reel the slack out of the line and wait until you feel a nibble then snatch the hell out of it.

Not So. They will feed on scraps on bottom - Esp. when Sandbass n Stripers are whacking Shad topwater - but will Eat anything in any part of the Water column from top to bottom. They’ll hit frogs, snakes, birds, insects etc on top water. They will hang out near the bottom to ambush prey above them - kinda like sharks do. They Love Eating Crappie, Sandbass, Shad, skip jack Herring. That’s why planer boards are getting Popular in Catfishing— not only to spread lines out but to vary depth....sometimes the bottom rigs are getting nuttin’ but suspended rigs will be catching.......we run our “bottom ” rigs 1-4’ off the bottom depending on the lake/area........Santee Cooper Rigs, modified 3 way rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqeIDUeq5U

These are NOT Eaters - You take a Pic, give them a Kiss and put them Back to make Babies.
- Eat lil Ones 2–10 lbs

853fc0f21e6813a89fa5f319acd05f5e.jpg

c601d48ddab728766bd52dd942ce8046.jpg
8a10d934e66bb9f080df107a6e8c548a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When you filet it, cut that blood line out of it.

You ever skinned a catfish??
I haven't skinned a catfish but I own catfish skinners because of bbq. I have fully broken down whole fish a bunch of times from the asian market so that concept isn't foreign. Mostly just the catching!

I've grilled catfish before but I always put it in a foil boat with butter and seasoning so it wouldn't crumble through the grate. As far as catching them I've always had the best luck with using bait that is common to their diet. Small minnows, bluegill, skip jack, etc. I've used the stinky dough recipes and I really don't waste my time with that anymore. Those big river catfish know what they like. I guess the most effective bait I'veused that isn't water related is a catalpa worm. That nasty black gook that comes out of those worms, catfish love it.

Mannnnnnnn, Now I wanna go Fishing BUT it’s Too Fricken’ Hot. May have to do an Overniter come Saturday........

Back