MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
kenrobin
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster
Default Video: Observations From An Owner Of A New LSG Offset 20"x42"

I'm still getting to know my new LSG offset and understand the process for getting a good bed of coals started. The biggest lesson learned is that I need to exercise more patience with everything and let the smoker do what it does naturally.

This video has some of my early observations.
https://youtu.be/58oVb3Wd0Q8
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Id also get a new log rack for it. That 1/2" plate might last 300 years, but it wont hold a coal bed. You are going to have to stoke the coals during a cook. Doing so with that 1/2 plate, half you coals will fall through it. A quick fix is to use the grilling grate as a log rack. Or get someone to build you one.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
BillN
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Bill

Congratulations, beautiful smoker, looking forward to your next video.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #4
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd just tac weld some expanded metal on top of that grate......

Old 07-01-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
kenrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Id also get a new log rack for it. That 1/2" plate might last 300 years, but it wont hold a coal bed. You are going to have to stoke the coals during a cook. Doing so with that 1/2 plate, half you coals will fall through it. A quick fix is to use the grilling grate as a log rack. Or get someone to build you one.
That is definitely something worth considering. I have noticed that the coals do fall through, making me more reluctant to stoke them.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
That is definitely something worth considering. I have noticed that the coals do fall through, making me more reluctant to stoke them.
I'm going to disagree with the other posters here and suggest you don't alter the grate at all. If the small coals can't fall through then when it starts to get full neither will the small bits of ash and you're going to run into a suffocation issue. You said the ash pan is about 1.5 inches below the grate and that kind of heat from coals will still help to keep the wood burning just fine.

You'd be better off looking at the type of wood you're using and how well it can keep the coal bed. In my region (eastern NC) the oak out here is terrible for a coal bed...rather than breaking down into smaller pieces it decays and gets soft and leaves almost no coal bed. So I know when I'm using oak I need to add in some pecan or hickory to keep that coal bed going. Pecan and hickory break down into many small pieces and keep that coal bed rocking along just fine.

As for temp management you've got a fairly small cook chamber with a large firebox and it's all well sealed. Once you get everything warmed up it's only going to take a small, energetic fire to keep the cook chamber up to temp. So you'll need to use smaller pieces of wood to keep temp where you want it, and at the same time allow for the replenishment of the coal bed as those small pieces burn down.

Just my suggestion but I certainly wouldn't jump into reducing the airflow around your burning wood. The design of this cooker only allows air into the firebox from one angle, ie the door damper, so if you have wind going any other way it's going to force the drafting system to work a bit harder to get air into the firebox. If you start reducing the airflow by keeping too much ash in the coal bed you're running a risk of suffocating the fire, and that's certainly not what you want to do.

Good luck and beautiful cooker...LSG did a good job with the re-design and the price point as well.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-04-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
kenrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
I'm going to disagree with the other posters here and suggest you don't alter the grate at all. If the small coals can't fall through then when it starts to get full neither will the small bits of ash and you're going to run into a suffocation issue. You said the ash pan is about 1.5 inches below the grate and that kind of heat from coals will still help to keep the wood burning just fine.

You'd be better off looking at the type of wood you're using and how well it can keep the coal bed. In my region (eastern NC) the oak out here is terrible for a coal bed...rather than breaking down into smaller pieces it decays and gets soft and leaves almost no coal bed. So I know when I'm using oak I need to add in some pecan or hickory to keep that coal bed going. Pecan and hickory break down into many small pieces and keep that coal bed rocking along just fine.

As for temp management you've got a fairly small cook chamber with a large firebox and it's all well sealed. Once you get everything warmed up it's only going to take a small, energetic fire to keep the cook chamber up to temp. So you'll need to use smaller pieces of wood to keep temp where you want it, and at the same time allow for the replenishment of the coal bed as those small pieces burn down.

Just my suggestion but I certainly wouldn't jump into reducing the airflow around your burning wood. The design of this cooker only allows air into the firebox from one angle, ie the door damper, so if you have wind going any other way it's going to force the drafting system to work a bit harder to get air into the firebox. If you start reducing the airflow by keeping too much ash in the coal bed you're running a risk of suffocating the fire, and that's certainly not what you want to do.

Good luck and beautiful cooker...LSG did a good job with the re-design and the price point as well.
Thanks for your feedback which is also worthy of consideration. I have received a lot of advice. I’ll be firing it up tomorrow on the 4th so I’ll have another opportunity to better get to know my offset & form better opinions about what is working well & not working well.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Beautiful smoker!

Thanks for the video and review. :)
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #9
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Seems to work just fine on my vertical offset. "won't hold a coal bed" ........... geez
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
Springram
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
I'm still getting to know my new LSG offset and understand the process for getting a good bed of coals started. The biggest lesson learned is that I need to exercise more patience with everything and let the smoker do what it does naturally.

This video has some of my early observations.
https://youtu.be/58oVb3Wd0Q8
Ken..just hang in there. You will get the hang of it soon. My first cook on my LSG vertical offset was nerve wracking too. i could not get the temp up either. The second cook... no problem. It is a matter of learning a new pit.
Weber 22.5 Master Touch
Hunsaker drum
Weber Smokey Joe
Blackstone griddle
PK Grill (original)
Springram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lone star grillz new models, LSG, offset smoker