• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Reverse seared prime rib on the Bayou classic cheap offset smoker

Baby Back Maniac

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This one didn't go the way I hoped. I was on point up until the very end and failed...kinda. lol. I don't want to give away the ending but it was a pretty rookie mistake. Fortunately, the video is fun and I think people will get a kick out if regardless.

https://youtu.be/rqV9UniFbyk

For those that care, I still really like this cooker. I've probably used it 15-20 times or so. For me right now it's pretty close to perfect. It's the right size, easy to use, is holding up well and since I only have $400 bucks in it after all the Costco refunds, I don't feel bad if I don't have time to use it for a few weeks at a time. The only thing I'd change is the steel feet because the rust marks up the patio. Other than that, I'm completely content for now. I hope Costco carries them again.

lol on the sugar, that thing didn't even look like it needed a sear. I love my Bayou cooker, I picked it up because of your vid last year. And JasonTQ also.

It looked like a great cook on a good piece of meat...up until you were talking about the nice char. :scared: I have been there on some steak and chicken and pork steak before. Keep posting those videos! I know I enjoy them.

great video , i think maybe if you would have let it ride out where it was on the pit to say around 130 you would have had a great bark with out the need of the reverse sear and still have a good mid rare . man that roast was looking DEVINE until the reverse sear ... great job and great vid kid

Great video - I have the same cooker (thanks JasonTQ) so enjoyed seeing it in your video. Also, I appreciate you posting the "rookie mistake" and not taking yourself too seriously.

...serves you right for eating meat........

Good video!

Well... sometimes you're the windshield & sometimes you're the bug. What the hell, enjoyed watching the vid. Glad you went ahead and posted it.

It looked like a great cook on a good piece of meat...up until you were talking about the nice char. :scared: I have been there on some steak and chicken and pork steak before. Keep posting those videos! I know I enjoy them.

That actually got edited down. Originally I said "I got a nice char but I think I over did because I forgot there was sugar in the rub." When I ate it, I ended up saying the same thing again and it sounded redundant so it made sense to cut it out at that point. I knew I was screwed. lol.

great video , i think maybe if you would have let it ride out where it was on the pit to say around 130 you would have had a great bark with out the need of the reverse sear and still have a good mid rare . man that roast was looking DEVINE until the reverse sear ... great job and great vid kid

I know. It kills me. haha.

Great video - I have the same cooker (thanks JasonTQ) so enjoyed seeing it in your video. Also, I appreciate you posting the "rookie mistake" and not taking yourself too seriously.

I ended up going back and getting another discount after I saw Jason's deal so it cost me $399. I seriously can't imagine being happier with it for that price. I would quickly go back and pay the $679 they were charging before they started the clearance deal.

I wouldn't mind having one that is a little bigger but considering the step up I would want to take would be at in the $2K range, I'm thinking I'm going to be married to this Bayou Classic for a long time...and I'm good with that.

Man, I gotta say I learn more from posts/videos that fail (or have a fail aspect to an otherwise good cook) than I do the perfect ones. Honestly, I love it when one of you demigods posts something imperfect--I can always learn from it. #keepinitreal

GREAT VIDEO! Love the outtakes, too! Keep it coming!

Man, I gotta say I learn more from posts/videos that fail (or have a fail aspect to an otherwise good cook) than I do the perfect ones. Honestly, I love it when one of you demigods posts something imperfect--I can always learn from it. #keepinitreal

GREAT VIDEO! Love the outtakes, too! Keep it coming!

LOL. Thank you. Glad I could help. Really appreciate you watching, Kanco.

Back