Do you prefer the vertical chamber on your offset?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

About to buy my first stick burner and for months have only been considering the ones without a vertical chamber because I don't smoke large quantities and don't want to pay a premium price for the added chamber. But now I've found a great deal on a used cooker that has a vertical chamber. I have no experience with them so.....

If I'm only cooking one hunk o' meat, should I use the horizontal or vertical chamber?

Do cookers with the vertical chamber use a ton more wood because of the extra space to heat, or is it relatively similar fuel usage to maintain once you get your initial temps up?

Can you put a small fire directly in the bottom of the vertical chamber (instead of the main firebox) and use it like a UDS?

What else should I be considering since I have no experience with the vertical offset?

I have the vertical on my Shirley and did two racks of ribs in it today. Worked great and perfect for that small cook.

Joshw and Westx both nailed exactly why I’m getting a warming chamber when I order my Shirley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends... Is the vertical over the FB or at the opposite end? Over the FB is more useful to me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It is at the opposite end.
You can either have 2 different temp zones or make a charcoal basket for the vertical end and cook with direct heat for smaller cooks.

You can either have 2 different temp zones or make a charcoal basket for the vertical end and cook with direct heat for smaller cooks.

Great, thanks! Is there a way for a guy with no welding skills to make a basket, or would it be better just to order one online?

Great, thanks! Is there a way for a guy with no welding skills to make a basket, or would it be better just to order one online?
Buy expanded metal sheet at HD or Lowe's. All you need is some good tin snips to make 4 cuts and fold the expanded metal at the cuts. This makes the basket which you can tie the ends with metal wire. For the feet get 4 SS bolts, 8 washers and 8 nuts. Here's one I made a few years ago.
283c16b5a6a02744daab41af372f8f5d.jpg
842768cf0e2b3a0899092a0f38ff4605.jpg
bfd9d2b65f7bf0a3ef71516d8f76a8c9.jpg

Back