MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #31
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks everyone. The 28 degree temps slow you down a bit. Got the old truck rack chopped up and I will snap some pics in the morning when I get ready to cut things down and make the cross supports.

The old smoker is still working away and the two pork shoulders and the country style ribs are taking in smoke nicely. At about 110 internal right now at the 2 hour mark.

So I have been thinking about the storage boxes that will go on the trailer. Looking at the cost of the steel, painting and misc things like locks, hinges, etc I am thinking about just picking up a couple underbed truck boxes and just roll them on their backs and then bolt them to the trailer. What do people think? It would save a lot of time and still give me some storage on the trailer. So basically, I would have the smoker on one side, the wood box in the middle and the storage box on the side. Here is an example of what I am thinking about using.

Last edited by Triple T BBQ; 01-07-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Triple T BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #32
Cloudsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

By all means - on the storage box. Steel might not be as thick, but who cares. FWIW, spend your time o. The tuff that matters most.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #33
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

I like the storage box idea!

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #34
duelin j
On the road to being a farker

Nice build! Looking forward to the progress.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #35
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Looks great. That storage box seems nice too. Keep sending build pics!
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #36
bbq boyee
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Is there a link to that calculator you were using?
bbq boyee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #37
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq boyee View Post
Is there a link to that calculator you were using?

http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html

Finished up the shoulders I had on the charbroil (old) smoker.

A little late night snack for everyone. Nite!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #38
bbq boyee

Thanks man. Looking good on the build so far. Let me know on those hinges, I'd love to have a hand in on your creation.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

nice build-pron. subscribed!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #40
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Okay. Another question. I have seen a number of different handles on the various smokers. I decided to use a couple safety rail handles for the doors. They are made from stainless steel. Now the obvious issue is how to keep them cool to the touch so I don't have to wear gloves everytime I open the lid on the smoker. What material would folks recommend to sandwich in between the lid and the handles to keep things cool? I was thinking of delrin (really hard plastic) but its deflection temp starts about 260 degrees and its melting point is 350F. What could I use to keep the handles from absorbing all the heat from the doors? Or is this a real issue on the smokers when they are running at 225-325? The tank is 1/4 in thick steel. Is there something I could put inside the handles that would absorb some of the heat and keep them from getting too hot?

Picture of the handles:

Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #41
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I used the same handle for the door on my smoker and i dont believe i've ever needed gloves to open it. I thought i'd need something but after using it for a few years i never gets that hot. I was originally gonna wrap it in silicone tape but didn't have to. My cooker's only 1/8" thick steel but wouldn't think that having 1/4" would make much of a difference. Even when i do high heat cooks, the handle never really gets hot enough to require gloves.
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #42
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
I used the same handle for the door on my smoker and i dont believe i've ever needed gloves to open it. I thought i'd need something but after using it for a few years i never gets that hot. I was originally gonna wrap it in silicone tape but didn't have to. My cooker's only 1/8" thick steel but wouldn't think that having 1/4" would make much of a difference. Even when i do high heat cooks, the handle never really gets hot enough to require gloves.
Thanks Zak. I was thinking of wrapping it in a firesleeve style product if it gets warm. Would like to hear from others who have steel handles on their pits too. I know that if they do get hot I or someone else would forget and then get a nasty burn as a result. I would rather just deal with it and be safe if its going to be a problem. Maybe I am overthinking this?

Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #43
bbq boyee

In my opinion those handles have such a thin wall thickness that there isn't much material there to hold the heat. The outside air around the handle is gonna keep it cool. Your only talking a maximum temp of 350 inside your pit, that 1/4" lid is gonna insulate alot of that heat too.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #44
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple T BBQ View Post
Got the feet off the tank and removed the bungs today. Also got it rotated around so that the 2 inch pipe bungs are on the bottom. I am going to use these for the grease and fat drains. The phone died so I could not get a couple shots of the progress, but will this week. Next up is chopping down the old truck rack I had siting around. Its all 2x2 square tubing. I am going to just use it for cross members on the trailer.

Here are the photos I promised. Took a while to get things done. The weather had turned into a nightmare so we moved the tank and fire box over to my friends shop. He has a floor lift which makes aligning the firebox to the tank that much easier.

The tank has been rotated 90 degrees now with the large bungs are on the bottom. These will be used for the grease drains. The brackets were moved out to make room for the drain pipe and valve to be installed.

The firebox vent has been closed off on top and I am about ready to convert the back of the firebox to a 4x14 opening into the tank.

The compressor and motor plate has been removed. Going to split it down the middle and use it for the reverse flow plate.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM   #45
Triple T BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

More progress tonight.

Sectioned the tank and welded up the front foot bracket. The tank was pretty clean inside with min, rust. Nothing that the grinder and a good burn out will take care of.

Finished converting the back of the fire box from a single 6 inch round opening that was somewhat blocked off to having a nice 4x14 inch opening that will feed under the reverse flow plate.

The interior view of the firebox now. Loads of smoke and heat should flow right into the cooking tank and under the reverse flow plate.

The feet and brackets have been removed along with the blower fan from the bottom. Will need to figure out where to mount the blower fan again later when we build the warming box.

Next up. Adding the framing to the trailer, widening the fenders for the mag wheels, and installing the tank for an initial balance of the whole thing. Getting there slowly but surely.

Tags
jambo clone, offset smoker, reverse flow horizontal, trailer