MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 11-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #76
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButzBBQ View Post
If we don't count throwdowns where we received less than 5 votes, I'm sure I'd be allowed to enter.

Now where did I put that virgin...
You're not allowed just on principle. Sour-Patch Kids Stir Fry? 3BGB? I would say you have intimidated the new folks enough!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #77
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You're not allowed just on principle. Sour-Patch Kids Stir Fry? 3BGB? I would say you have intimidated the new folks enough!
I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about.

Besides... I didn't win with either of those creations.

In all seriousness though, I do agree that taking a ton of pics of your final creation is important. Still haven't used the "darkroom" on any of my pics yet... Oh, and, I take 95% of my pics using my cell phone.
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #78
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well there goes my idea of spatchcocking a virgin...
Probably a good thing. it would have been a bloody mess.

okay off to the penalty box...
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #79
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Chris, I'm going off of memory here, isn't photoshop typically NOT allowed in TD's? Only allowed in certain specials such as the McRib td?

Or maybe I'm all farked up inna head...
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #80
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Chris, I'm going off of memory here, isn't photoshop typically NOT allowed in TD's? Only allowed in certain specials such as the McRib td?

Or maybe I'm all farked up inna head...
Well...I'm not qualified to do any of the head shrinkage stuff, but I can point to Rule #6 listed in the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Rules...

6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #81
pizzakngjr
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kyle

Im in!!! I am sure I am well under the requirement at a whopping 0 previous TD entries.....

Now to research how to post pics........
pizzakngjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #82
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Personally, I don't have any skill at all in the electronic darkroom. When they are touched up, they look touched up and I can see that many of my Brethren have the same two left thumbs. I don't hold it against them in the voting. While a beautiful photo does help get votes. It certainly isn't necessary. If you go through the Hall of Fame you'll see plenty of examples of winning entries that are NOT necessarily good photos. A great idea and a great dish really are the most important things. I don't think you can win without these elements, but you can win with a bad photo, and this is a good thing in my opinion!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #83
pizzakngjr
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kyle

Chris,

Just to clarify....Are the dates correct? We get an entire month to participate? 11/22 - 12/31...

Thanks!
pizzakngjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #84
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzakngjr View Post
Chris,

Just to clarify....Are the dates correct? We get an entire month to participate? 11/22 - 12/31...

Thanks!
Yep. This ones open until the end of the year.

Duh.
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #85
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Personally, I don't have any skill at all in the electronic darkroom. When they are touched up, they look touched up and I can see that many of my Brethren have the same two left thumbs. I don't hold it against them in the voting. While a beautiful photo does help get votes. It certainly isn't necessary. If you go through the Hall of Fame you'll see plenty of examples of winning entries that are NOT necessarily good photos. A great idea and a great dish really are the most important things. I don't think you can win without these elements, but you can win with a bad photo, and this is a good thing in my opinion!
Although I haven't won any of these, I have to agree with the great idea and great dish are the most important items.

Of course it doesn't hurt to have decent photography skills either. Looks like I am gonna have to start taking a LOT more photos...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #86
LMAJ

Come on new guys/gals - let's see some PRON
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #87
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Great idea for a TD. Perhaps you could even post a sticky post in the other sections to try and recruit more people that don't regularly check the TD area.

Hmm...not too many takers so far. While we're waiting, I am not sure if I have been around here long enough to offer any pointers, but I would second Gore's comment on reviewing the Hall of Fame. It shows what does well better than any other barometer. It also gives you a sense of the history of the competition.

Anything with bacon almost always gets extra votes. Anything with eggplant has the opposite effect. Closeups of the best part of the food tend to do better than a full plate where the whole food landscape doesn't make you drool. Color variation (e.g. not just a wash of yellow) seems to help. Matching the spirit of the week's category helps, too.

My two cents.

As a final note, I am amazed that KnucklHed has few enough entries to participate in this one. He has to be the sluttiest almost-virgin of all time.

oops...penalty box?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #88
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don't know that I have ever entered a throwdown so I'm entering Pork E Pig, my all pork oinker featuring smoked sausage legs, ground pork body, vienna sausage nose, ham ears, a bacon wrap and a pork rind tail.

Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #89
deguerre

This pic is so "apocalypse now" somehow...

I'm lovin' it!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #90
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
This pic is so "apocalypse now" somehow...

Don't you mean "aPORKalypse Now"?
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook well, Marsha Marsha Marsha!, New Shark in Town, No silly tags here, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread