MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #151
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
Amazingribs coverage of the smokefire really makes me question all the other reviews on the site.

I'm not going to visit there anymore because I don't feel i'm being told the truth.
I'd always used them as a source of truth for reviewing grills, but even looking at some of their platinum pellet grill recommendations, I'm not so sure. Even before the SmokeFire stuff, I found myself questioning how they consider the Camp Chef Woodwind just as good as the Mak smokers. I also remember reading their Bullseye review just after that product was released, and them complaining it didn't have PID, and not recommending it for that, among other reasons.

Their site was helpful years ago when it was one of only a few BBQ/grilling sites, but there are so many more sources nowadays that I hardly ever visit them anymore.

I still don't know what's going on with Meathead, but he seems to be having some kind of break with reality over the past few weeks.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #152
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJBBQ View Post
Not to keep fueling the (Smoke)fire, but the Amazing Ribs review stated that other pellets even jammed their vacuum hose. This was after discussing the diameter of the pellets. The included picture clearly demonstrates pellets lodged in the vacuum hose due to length of the pellets. The diameter had nothing to do with it.

Weber may be completely right that their pellet augers work better with the thinner diameter pellets, but I don’t think that the vacuum hose picture proves that pellet feed issues are due to this one point. It certainly looks dramatic, but doesn’t prove their point in my estimation.

I think if you’re going to comment on other individuals opinions, you should be prepared to receive equal criticism without getting personal. Again, one persons opinion, but the response from Weber and Amazing Ribs seems like a textbook example of how NOT to address a PR/social media issue. Generally speaking, falling on your sword and acknowledging that individuals may be having issues with profuse words of reassurance that their best people are working on fixes (new pellet feeder attachment) would have served them infinitely better than their twitter videos and radio silence has.
Agreed, and I still can't figure out why Amazing Ribs is so dedicated to proving all the complainers wrong, and defending Weber's product.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #153
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

The cynic in me says "follow the money".
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #154
pbison
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
The cynic in me says "follow the money".

They claim they do not take money from anybody.

But they do take grills and accessories. There's no doubt it's in their best interest not to tick off the biggest player in the market.
pbison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 01:31 PM   #155
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbison View Post
They claim they do not take money from anybody.

But they do take grills and accessories. There's no doubt it's in their best interest not to tick off the biggest player in the market.
IMO reviewers that secret squirrel purchase off the shelf items hold more weight than those that take review units and become beholden to the manufacturers for free loot.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #156
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baychilla View Post
IMO reviewers that secret squirrel purchase off the shelf items hold more weight than those that take review units and become beholden to the manufacturers for free loot.
They did claim in the review they purchased their SmokeFire.

Old 03-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #157
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
They did claim in the review they purchased their SmokeFire.
That's interesting. I wonder what percentage of reviews mention how the reviewed item was obtained. When I looked at the Mak and BGE reviews I couldn't find a mention of whether they paid off the shelf, it was given to them or a UFO dropped it off.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:00 PM   #158
WBDubya
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bryan

I was at a Weber dealer today and saw my first Smoke Fire. Please accept my apologies if this has previously been posted. The pellet hopper (angle) was sealed with white caulk (both size grills) making it difficult to adjust. Nasty looking caulk job, curious if other folks had seen this. BTW, the grills were already marked down $200.00

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/p...272637&thumb=1

Old 03-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #159
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
I have watched the different videos from Harry and BBM.

Harry seems to be out to prove everybody wrong and stay on a good foot with Weber.
If you watch his Part 2 video closely, it becomes very clear why he didn't have a grease fire when he opens the grease drain. It's full of water/grease from his excessive spraying of the meat. He always uses water to spritz and I noticed he was spraying his meat a lot in the video, more than usual. So, all the water propably cleaned the bottom of his cooker.

https://youtu.be/jsUri_VoKag?t=2139
You just came up with a solution to the grease fires!!! Put small water nozzles on the left and right side of the smoker near the bottom to create a small stream of water to flush the grease and ash into the oil pan. Have it cycle on and off to flush everything out at regular intervals

Old 03-03-2020, 08:11 PM   #160
txsmkmstr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBDubya View Post
I was at a Weber dealer today and saw my first Smoke Fire. Please accept my apologies if this has previously been posted. The pellet hopper (angle) was sealed with white caulk (both size grills) making it difficult to adjust. Nasty looking caulk job, curious if other folks had seen this. BTW, the grills were already marked down $200.00

I saw that also a week or so ago. Really left me scratching my head. I'm not a pellet guy but I don't get why the caulk was there in the first place. As noted above a very sloppy job - sad.

Last edited by txsmkmstr; 03-03-2020 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: darn quote tags
txsmkmstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #161
Sevengoals
Full Fledged Farker

Big Weber Original Store Spring opening events coming up in Vienna later this month.
Apart from the season's new Gas grill presentation there are also the usual cooking demos and at center stage the new Weber SmokeFire will be presented / demonstrated in all its glory.

A couple of things that I have noticed.
No charcoal grills are used in the promo pamphlet that came with the post today.

6 x 20x30cm double side colour promo and not one kettle or WSM.
Title page with a Genesis, followed by one page of Genesis models, one page Spirit models, one page SmokeFire, and two pages competitions, promotions, cooking courses, directions, etc.,

The big SmokeFire is retailing for €1,499.- ($1,671US) and the small one €1,199.- ($1,337US)
Big hits in anyone's language.

I wonder if any of the known problems will be addressed by anyone attending ...

I've come to the conclusion that Weber is now a life style product.

Sevengoals is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #162
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I’ve been a Weber user/fan. I was really hoping this SF was going to be a hit. I was skeptical just because they were coming to market without even having a side shelf. No Front shelf. Ok. I see that as an add on. But no side shelf & a controller that was still in a pretty much beta mode. I see little things possibly needing tweaked in a newer model. That’s normal. But the pellets not sliding down & the grease management system being an issue. Weber should not be selling these at all. Most would respect & give Weber another shot if they had just owned up to it. Call it a supplier error or whatever. I think they’ve probably lost a lot of customers with their whole attitude about this. Their service is usually pretty top notch but I’ve really lost faith in them at this point. Hopefully they take care of everyone involved. All they’ve done is push me into buying another brand’s grill.
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #163
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsmkmstr View Post
I saw that also a week or so ago. Really left me scratching my head. I'm not a pellet guy but I don't get why the caulk was there in the first place. As noted above a very sloppy job - sad.
I forgot all about the caulk. Maybe not a big deal, but wonder how it will hold up over time, outdoors.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:08 AM   #164
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Bacon View Post
I think they’ve probably lost a lot of customers with their whole attitude about this.

The smokefire also ruined amazingribs.com for a lot of people as well. Damn shame.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #165
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb
Default Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
The smokefire also ruined amazingribs.com for a lot of people as well. Damn shame.

Totally agree with you! Cannot believe the way meathead has handled himself.
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq

Last edited by rwalters; 03-04-2020 at 08:46 AM..
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote