MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #136
pbison
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
February 29:
https://www.facebook.com/AmazingRibs...58601680886972

In this new thread, he also says he has nothing to apologize for his rants, even though he deleted almost all of them. I'm becoming more disillusioned with AR over all this SmokeFire stuff.

Thanks for that link. I got a kick out of this comment:

"Wouldn’t it be easier just to buy a pellet grill with a proven track record that doesn’t need “work arounds”? Asking for a friend."

That was from Ray Carnes, co-founder of RecTec.
pbison is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #137
pbison
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
Agreed. I have a 10 year-old Traeger that has fewer issues than I've seen with the SmokeFire. I don't have to baby it, clean it after every cook, use a drip pan/water pan, etc. and it does great. I don't sear on it, but I could crank it up (Savannah Stoker) if I wanted to.

Weber overpromised and underdelivered. That's all. They'll go back to the drawing board and make it better if they want to really move into this market. Plus they'll have a lot of trust to earn back from the early adopters that had issues.

At the end of the day, it's just another grill that some people love and some people don't. Had Weber not promised the moon, they'd have a lot more happy customers right now.
Yeah, I've had my RT-590 for 7 months now and while it's not perfect, I haven't had any performance issues including grease fires or flareups. And I do sear on it. It doesn't sear great, topping out between 400-550 depending on the weather. And it can take a while to get there. But it's good enough that I haven't fired up the gas grill since I got it. The reverse sear steaks I've made on have been the best I've ever cooked.

I mean let's face it, Weber and other gas grills have been using flavorizer bars for decades, it's pretty doubtful nobody thought about doing that in a pellet grill before. Weber is just the first company to try to defy common sense. And since they are Weber, most people gave them the benefit of the doubt. I know I never expected a company with Weber's history and reputation to put out such a clunker. I'm disappointed that not only does it not live up to their claims, but there are several basic design and quality issues including the hopper, auger, controller, ash, and heat distribution.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2020, 06:37 AM   #138
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I have watched the different videos from Harry and BBM.

Harry seems to be out to prove everybody wrong and stay on a good foot with Weber.
If you watch his Part 2 video closely, it becomes very clear why he didn't have a grease fire when he opens the grease drain. It's full of water/grease from his excessive spraying of the meat. He always uses water to spritz and I noticed he was spraying his meat a lot in the video, more than usual. So, all the water propably cleaned the bottom of his cooker.

https://youtu.be/jsUri_VoKag?t=2139

Old 03-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #139
barrettd
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbison View Post
Thanks for that link. I got a kick out of this comment:

"Wouldn’t it be easier just to buy a pellet grill with a proven track record that doesn’t need “work arounds”? Asking for a friend."

That was from Ray Carnes, co-founder of RecTec.
Yeah, I thought that was funny, as well.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:12 AM   #140
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

Based upon the review on Amazing Ribs, you have to use Weber branded pellets in order for the Smokefire to operate well. The other pellets are too big in diameter.

I was also really excited about the Smokefire. Love my 22” kettle. And the missus wanted a gas grill for weeknight quick cook sessions. Seriously considered being part of the first wave. One of the rare times where I demonstrated patience before purchasing a new toy!
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #141
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJBBQ View Post
Based upon the review on Amazing Ribs, you have to use Weber branded pellets in order for the Smokefire to operate well. The other pellets are too big in diameter.

I was also really excited about the Smokefire. Love my 22” kettle. And the missus wanted a gas grill for weeknight quick cook sessions. Seriously considered being part of the first wave. One of the rare times where I demonstrated patience before purchasing a new toy!
I had high hopes, as well. I'm hoping they stick with it and perfect their design, if only to push innovation across the industry. By that point, however, I'll have already purchased my next pellet grill in hopes of it lasting several years.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:26 AM   #142
Maylar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORND4WG X View Post
Here’s the insert for the hopper

https://youtu.be/YWFP4uDL71o
Will they send you one for free?

Old 03-03-2020, 08:40 AM   #143
pbison
Found some matches.

Quote:

So these experts who have the self proclaimed only man in the world who makes his living reviewing grills, who loudly claimed other reviewers and consumers didn't know what they were doing...these guys were using Traeger pellets?

Old 03-03-2020, 08:50 AM   #144
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John
Default Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill Review

Deleted comment.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:56 AM   #145
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Not a chance. That is a poor excuse IMO. I'd think forcing people to use a Weber pellet to operate their grill properly would not be good for business.

Old 03-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #146
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

The only problem I have had with pellets feeding were with Weber branded pellets.

Quote:

Weber Kettle
Weber Genesis
Weber Smokey Joe

Passed on to a new home
Tejas 2040 Deluxe
Humphrey's Long Weekender
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #147
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
The more I look at this grill, the more I see just a Weber Spirit that just runs on pellets. When I see it as that I don't hate it as much. It will work well as a grill, but be a headache going low and slow (in unmodified form). I think people were looking for a smoker that can grill, not the other way around. We wanted a true all in one. For the same price, I'd rather have a Weber gasser and seperate smoker, pellet or otherwise.
This....^^^^

I had some free time this past weekend and went to an ACE Hardware to see if I could check one out. I was considering selling my Yoder and going to this.....After looking at it, all I could think was man this feels and looks like a gas grill. It felt chincy to me.....Not at all what I'm wanting. I think I will be better off in the long run to upgrade my Yoder to 2-Pc diffuser, grill grates, and the new controller.

The design could be better and I think Weber botched the roll out. But I personally have had a couple grease flare ups on my Yoder cooking hamburgers. The fact is, that when you mix high heat with a lot of grease, the potential exists. I continue to wonder about all the posts I see of people running the WSF up to 600 and cooking stuff. I guess it's to see if it can really do it, but I personally have no need to run it up that high.

YMMV.......

Ed

Old 03-03-2020, 09:45 AM   #148
barrettd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maylar View Post
Will they send you one for free?
I believe some folks have already gotten emails with tracking info from Weber, so that seems to be the case they're sending them out for free.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #149
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

Not to keep fueling the (Smoke)fire, but the Amazing Ribs review stated that other pellets even jammed their vacuum hose. This was after discussing the diameter of the pellets. The included picture clearly demonstrates pellets lodged in the vacuum hose due to length of the pellets. The diameter had nothing to do with it.

Weber may be completely right that their pellet augers work better with the thinner diameter pellets, but I don’t think that the vacuum hose picture proves that pellet feed issues are due to this one point. It certainly looks dramatic, but doesn’t prove their point in my estimation.

I think if you’re going to comment on other individuals opinions, you should be prepared to receive equal criticism without getting personal. Again, one persons opinion, but the response from Weber and Amazing Ribs seems like a textbook example of how NOT to address a PR/social media issue. Generally speaking, falling on your sword and acknowledging that individuals may be having issues with profuse words of reassurance that their best people are working on fixes (new pellet feeder attachment) would have served them infinitely better than their twitter videos and radio silence has.
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:51 AM   #150
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Amazingribs coverage of the smokefire really makes me question all the other reviews on the site.

I'm not going to visit there anymore because I don't feel i'm being told the truth.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote