• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hunsaker, Gateway, PBC, BHC or ...

Well, both Max Goode from AmazingRibs.com and I have very different experiences than you. I'm glad for your successes, but I'm also glad to be rid of the two Hunsakers I bought. Both my front and back patios have grease stains from using the Hunsakers. And one of my Hunsakers went dead during a brisket cook. Competely dead.

Neither my WSM or PBC have ever went dead during a cook, and neither have ever imparted stains on my patios.

Then call Max Goode from AmazingRibs.com a troll too. He noted the exact same temp control results I did.

As I mentioned above, we must be reading different reviews. Is this the one that you are referring to?

https://amazingribs.com/smoker/hunsaker-vortex-smoker-review

Mod Note:

That’s enough name calling and personal attacks. Everyone is free to express their opinion, just as others are free to disagree, but do it like adults, and don;t resort to name calling and attacks.

So, anytime a user reports problems with site sponsors, that's "trolling".

You are full of BS.

The repeated mentioning of Max Good makes it sound like you read an old review and are here to pound that home. I have a Hunsaker and I am far from an expert cook. However, I am able to hold extremely steady temps with it.

The repeated mentioning of Max Good makes it sound like you read an old review and are here to pound that home. I have a Hunsaker and I am far from an expert cook. However, I am able to hold extremely steady temps with it.

Glad for you.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. His conclusion was that quality of components is excellent (which it is, as mine were built very well) but temperature control is adventurous, at best.

I ain't paying $800 apiece for "adventurous temp control". I can get much better temp control from my WSM and PBC.

Ok... still seems like a different article...

Conclusion
Hunsaker is a small company manufacturing smokers for competition teams. Clever and useful features such as the big wheels, floating lid hinge, wind resistant air intake and, of course, the Vortex Charcoal Basket serve to differentiate Hunsaker from other brands and they are gaining presence on competition fields. Residential cooks beware. This is not a smoker for first timers. It's not a starter product, and not the one and only cooker you probably want on your deck or patio. But aspiring backyard pit bosses interested in hot and fast smoking might be interested in adding this to their arsenal.

Hunsaker is well made with sturdy fit and finish. Standard color choices are Gloss Black, Gloss Red, Gloss Blue, Flat Black and Metallic Silver. Custom colors and team logo plates are available.

But,I’m glad that you WSM and PBC are working for you. I have one of each and enjoy cooking on them as well!

I appreciate your knowledge of the review I referred to...but you seemed to have left out the commentary where Max noted (more than once) the temperature control problems he had and never solved, even after talking with the Hunsaker company about said problems.

It really seems like the review from Max might have sealed the deal for you on a Hunsaker. I am guessing that Max has far more experience than I do when it comes to cooking on different grills, but it sounds like he didn't use the drum properly. As a novice I can load it up and do overnight cooks.

I get that you don't like it and had a bad experience. You are the first person I have ever seen that has mentioned a customer service problem though. I would still say to take the review you reference with a grain of salt though.

It really seems like the review from Max might have sealed the deal for you on a Hunsaker. I am guessing that Max has far more experience than I do when it comes to cooking on different grills, but it sounds like he didn't use the drum properly. As a novice I can load it up and do overnight cooks.

I get that you don't like it and had a bad experience. You are the first person I have ever seen that has mentioned a customer service problem though. I would still say to take the review you reference with a grain of salt though.

No, customer service was great. Answered every question I had.

I'm sure it was my problem. I've never read a bad review of them. The 55-gallon Hunsaker was much different that the 30-gallon cookers I'm familiar with (WSM, PBC). I'm sure I could have learned their tendencies eventually.

I learned to smoke on a WSM and made some good stuff. I then got a PBC and never used the WSM again and ended up selling all three of them that I had.

I would like to have a Hunsaker at some point.

No one else has mentioned it so I will. WSM. Great Smoker, Great price. Can run it like a UDS or wet. Will be passing it down to your kids.

Hope to see you at the Texas Spring Bash Sid. :thumb:

I hope I can make it. I was looking forward to the Belton get together but, dislocated my shoulder and broke a collar bone. :sad::sick::sad:

Missing it just made the pain that much worse. I'm finally on the mend and almost fully recovered. :clap2:

I currently have 4 WSM's! Check my signature. :wink:

They are solid smokers but, playing with air intakes is a bit of a pain and refueling if needed is a bit much. I think that's why I'm attracted to the Gateway drums with their upright "grab handle" air intakes. Sure no lid hinge or wheels but, I also don't have to worry about the grease from the central air intake of a Hunsaker which is another fine choice.

Then there are all the other lesser well-known drums to consider mentioned in this thread. Overall, a lot of good options for people to choose from.

Back