MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Cedar Planking ? Cedar smoke ?

OK, I don't get it. What is the deal with cedar planking? I thought that cedar was unsuitable for smoking.

From the Naked Whiz web site:

"The following woods are not suitable for smoking:

Softwoods or evergreen woods (Pine, Fir, Spruce, Redwood, Cedar, Cypress, etc.), Elm, Eucalyptus, Sassafras, Sycamore, Liquid Amber (Sweetgum), Chokecherry, green Cottonwood."

Doesn't planking impart cedar smoke to the food? Isn't that the whole point?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

I had salmon on a cedar plank once. Did not like the taste at all.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
OSD
is One Chatty Farker

The planks are soaked in water and the meat is placed on the plank then onto the grill grate. They are usually used on a grill and don't really smoke, sometimes the edges burn a little. They are not being used as smoking wood in the fire.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
crome
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crüe-B-Cüe View Post
I had salmon on a cedar plank once. Did not like the taste at all.
ditto !
crome is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSD View Post
The planks are soaked in water and the meat is placed on the plank then onto the grill grate. They are usually used on a grill and don't really smoke, sometimes the edges burn a little. They are not being used as smoking wood in the fire.
I was under the impression that the bottom of the plank gets charred so wouldn't cedar smoke be introduced to the cooking chamber?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Cedar is carniferous, or odiferous.. or one of those oferous things that means SOFT WOOD and holds its leaves year round. Similar to pine, its unsuitable to use as a fuel source.

using cedar(pine, etc..) in your firebox will release resins and tars that taint the food and give it bitter taste, not to mention can ruin your pit.

when u use it on the grill, its a well soaked wet plank. Your cooking ON it.. its not in the firebox or coming in direct contact with the fire. So, 1 - it never ignites, 2- since it chars somewhat on the bottom, it releases a small amount of smoke/cedar flavor thru the wood and directly into the food laying on top of it. Its not "burning" in any way and is not releasing the tars and resins..

i used it 100% on the grill.. I cant see using it in a pit(except an egg or uds, or something that is somewhat direct). Using it indirect or in and offset, I dont think will have the same effect. maybe one of us have done it indirect and can comment, but one thing for sure, its not going to char.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
jestridge

It be like licking on an electric pole
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote