MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy
Default Question for anyone hanging ribs on a WSM

So I am looking at getting a rib hanging mod for my WSM as a Christmas gift. My first question is do you need the vortex plate to be able to hang the ribs? Will just purchasing the mod be enough? Also, have any of you purchased the lid hinge and how do you like it? Thanks.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
Whumpa
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Charles

Can’t give you an answer to your first question, but I did install a lid hinge on my WSM 22, and glad I did. Went with one from Unknown BBQ. Easy install works great. Worth the money.
Whumpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #3
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
So I am looking at getting a rib hanging mod for my WSM as a Christmas gift. My first question is do you need the vortex plate to be able to hang the ribs? Will just purchasing the mod be enough? Also, have any of you purchased the lid hinge and how do you like it? Thanks.
Not sure if I'm understanding your question. I'm assuming you already have a rack to hang ribs? If so, I think the vortex plate would be much preferable to have rather than hanging them directly over the coals or using the water pan as a drip pan. I used to have a WSM setup with the Vortex basket and it worked great.

If you don't have rib hanger, you might look into the Gateway rib hangers. They are around $50 and Target sells them online. That combined with the vortex plate would be a nice setup. I never got the lid hinge, so I don't have any experience with that.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

No I don't think the Vortex plate is necessary. I have a Hunsaker and I have always cooked with the plate in, but if I want the drippings on the coals flavor I can take it out.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

Never tried hanging ribs. Are they done when they fall off the hooks?
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post

There are a few designs of hangers (Gateway, Hunsaker, Lavalock, etc.). I have tried a few. I would only get the round Hunsaker if you are going to seriously load it up. One-three racks at a time? The others might offer a better footprint. I have a Gateway and love it.

You don't need a vortex plate. The one advantage to the plate is it "mutes" the flavor from hanging. Some people love "that" flavor; some don't. I use the vortex plate most of the time when I'm hanging ribs, but sometimes roll without it. I usually don't use the plate for chicken. But for $33 shipped it's low risk, high reward.

I will say that I have had to rotate meat less when using the plate...so does it even out the airflow? I think so.

Have you ever cooked on the top grate of a WSM without the water pan?

The Unknown hinge is a game changer if you have a 22WSM. One of the best things you can buy for that smoker. For an 14/18WSM it isn't as important. I told my buddy he needed to get one. He installed it and said "I should have done this sooner." It makes a huge difference!
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 PM   #7
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
Never tried hanging ribs. Are they done when they fall off the hooks?

No...that means they are "over done."

Old 10-26-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Long thread below but great input and pic's throughout.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=253192

For hooks, order a hook set from PBC (Pitt Barrel Cookers).

Great flavor and they do not fall off the hook. Methods in the thread to prevent that.

Good Luck!

PS: Don't use a defuseser. Let the coal/ wood chunks do their work.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post

Great flavor and they do not fall off the hook. Methods in the thread to prevent that.

Good Luck!

I agree with the PBC hooks. I bought a set back when I had the Weber Rack (like Hap has pictured). I actually prefer those PBC hooks to any other hook because of their size and shape. The hanging portion is a U shape as opposed to a V shape and the larger size means they are easier to grab with a glove on.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Roseville View Post
There are a few designs of hangers (Gateway, Hunsaker, Lavalock, etc.). I have tried a few. I would only get the round Hunsaker if you are going to seriously load it up. One-three racks at a time? The others might offer a better footprint. I have a Gateway and love it.

You don't need a vortex plate. The one advantage to the plate is it "mutes" the flavor from hanging. Some people love "that" flavor; some don't. I use the vortex plate most of the time when I'm hanging ribs, but sometimes roll without it. I usually don't use the plate for chicken. But for $33 shipped it's low risk, high reward.

I will say that I have had to rotate meat less when using the plate...so does it even out the airflow? I think so.

Have you ever cooked on the top grate of a WSM without the water pan?

The Unknown hinge is a game changer if you have a 22WSM. One of the best things you can buy for that smoker. For an 14/18WSM it isn't as important. I told my buddy he needed to get one. He installed it and said "I should have done this sooner." It makes a huge difference!
I would definitely want the flavor of the juices dropping on the coals (main reason for trying the hanging). I have cooked chicken on the top grate without a water pan and it was probably the best smoked chicken I have ever done.
I definitely could see where the lid hinge would be a game changer. Especially when saucing or spritzing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post

Long thread below but great input and pic's throughout.

Good Luck!

Mike, thanks for that link. It contained a lot of good info. Are you still hanging your ribs? Those first ones you did looked mighty good. Also, I saw you said you were going to start using wood chunks, how did that work?
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle

Old 10-27-2020, 08:37 AM   #11
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Try throwing a half onion in the coals too. I don't know you can taste it on the food, but it smells really good while you are cooking. I could probably do this with any cook, but for some reason I only really do it when I am hanging ribs.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #12
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
Try throwing a half onion in the coals too. I don't know you can taste it on the food, but it smells really good while you are cooking. I could probably do this with any cook, but for some reason I only really do it when I am hanging ribs.
I have seen Malcom Reed do this on his drum cooks and heard him say it is really good.
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle

Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #13
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Once you get the set up let us know how you think of it.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote